ilcep llo 0708
out of 12
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. TechComm: The state of theTechComm: The state of theprofessionprofession29 July 200829 July 2008Linda Oestreich, Doc Manager, HPLinda Oestreich, Doc Manager, HPPast President, STCPast President, STCApproved for public release; distribution is unlimited.
- 2. Todays topics
- 3. Body of Knowledge Knowledge PortalKnowledge Portal C:Documents and SettingsoestreicMy DocumentsILCEPC:Documents and SettingsoestreicMy DocumentsILCEP2008knowledge_portal_handout.doc2008knowledge_portal_handout.doc Areas of ExpertiseAreas of Expertise Site map: See document: C:Documents andSite map: See document: C:Documents andSettingsoestreicMy DocumentsILCEP 2008Copy ofSettingsoestreicMy DocumentsILCEP 2008Copy ofsitemap_with_STC2008_stickies.xlssitemap_with_STC2008_stickies.xls
- 4. Technical writer vs technicalcommunicatorBLS definition: technical writer vs technical communicatorSTC has hired economist Rick OSullivan to produce a comprehensive salary database for technicalwriters based on data gathered by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). STC will now provideSTC members with salary data according to industry as well as geography.And, because it has been reported often, you probably know that STC is working to influence the U.S.Department of Labor (DOL) to replace the outdated definition for technical writer in the StandardOccupational Classification System (SOC) with a new definition for technical communicator. The newdefinition will help raise the status of our profession around the world.On July 19 we were informed officially that the BLS has determined that they will keep the technicalwriter definition and will not recommend that technical communicator be added to the StandardOccupational Classifications at this time.The good news is that the BLS will consider adding technical communicator to a separate list ofemerging professions in both the Occupational Handbook and O*NET, BLSs on-line occupation andcareer data source. If the BLS adds this, they will start collecting separate data on technicalcommunicators. After a period of time, they will review the data to determine if the growth in theprofession meets its criteria for emerging and, in turn, whether the official Standard OccupationalClassification should be amended and all government statistics including those published by BLS, theIRS, and state employment agencies should be changed to recognize the new profession.
- 5. Salary surveys Link to salary surveyLink to salary survey
- 6. Academic databasehttp://stc.org/academic/index.aspxhttp://stc.org/academic/index.aspx
- 7. Globalization ChinaChina Partnering with L10N organizationsPartnering with L10N organizations INTECOMINTECOM
- 8. China trip See document: See document:http://www.citizenambassadors.org/upcomingprohttp://www.citizenambassadors.org/upcomingprograms/science_tech/oestreich-linda_10-2008.aspgrams/science_tech/oestreich-linda_10-2008.asp The People to People Ambassador Programs,The People to People Ambassador Programs,initiated in the 1950s by President Dwightinitiated in the 1950s by President DwightEisenhower, have asked me to lead a delegationEisenhower, have asked me to lead a delegationof technical communicators to China in Octoberof technical communicators to China in October2008. STC members will be offered the chance to2008. STC members will be offered the chance tojoin this delegation. Invitation letters will be sentjoin this delegation. Invitation letters will be sentout to those who allow STC mailings in earlyout to those who allow STC mailings in earlyspring. In the meantime, if you have questionsspring. In the meantime, if you have questionsabout this trip, you are welcome to contact me atabout this trip, you are welcome to contact me firstname.lastname@example.org. In the past, STClinda.email@example.com. In the past, STCmembers have been part of other professionalmembers have been part of other professionalexchanges to China, most recently in 2002 whenexchanges to China, most recently in 2002 whenGeorge Hayhoe led a delegation as aGeorge Hayhoe led a delegation as arepresentative from IEEE-PCS.representative from IEEE-PCS. http://www.citizenambassadors.org/upcomingprohttp://www.citizenambassadors.org/upcomingprograms/science_tech/oestreich-linda_10-2008.aspgrams/science_tech/oestreich-linda_10-2008.asp
- 9. INTECOM Recent AGM in MontrealRecent AGM in Montreal
- 10. Partners and perks of STC Partner listPartner list MS/Madcap discountsMS/Madcap discounts Etc.Etc.
- 11. Standards List of standardsList of standards
- 12. Wrap up and questions
View more >