iit madras open quiz 2014
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONIIT Madras Open Quiz is one of the biggest open quizzes in India and the largest one run entirely by students. This is the 2014 version of the quiz. Prelims cut off was 27/40. Quiz was won by QED. This is our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/iitmopenquiz?ref=hl Answers for Kolstylz round: I. Indica I. Ibrahim Lodi T. Twinings M. Moloch O. Orinoco P. Philomena Lee E. Eurydice N. Nightjar Q. Quicksort U. Ukiyo-e I. Iggy Pop Z. Zico
- IIT Madras Open Quiz 2014 Presented by the Quiz Club of IIT Madras
- A big thank you to our sponsors! THIS PORTION INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
- The Rules 40 question preliminary round Questions 11 to 20 are starred and will be used to resolve ties Maximum of 3 people in a team Please mention the category you are contesting in school/college/IITM/open Please switch off all electronic devices and refrain from using them for any purpose during the quiz
- Prelims with answers
- 1 Until recently, where would you have found Manikkanaar street, Ramaswamy Naicker street, Vali street, Tamilvaanan street, M.P. Sivagnaanam street, M.M. Ismail street, Harry Potter street, and Nelson Mandela street?
- 2014 Chennai Book Fair
- 2 In the 1920s, Kutol Products, a company specializing in soaps and cleaning products, came up with a pliable, putty - like substance used for cleaning soot from dirty wallpaper. Post World War II, there was a reduction in internal soot, as well as a change towards washable vinyl - based wallpaper, consequently reducing the demand for the product. However, someone at the company discovered that it was being used by school children for another purpose, and this led to the rise of a very commonly seen product. What?
- 3 X and Santiago Ramon y Cajal were awarded the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1906 in recognition of their work on the structure of the nervous system''. While working in a psychiatric hospital, X discovered a method of staining individual neurons, which allowed him to see complex outlines of the shapes and was later used to visualise, for the first time, the branched connections between nerve cells. X's most famous (and eponymous) discovery, however, was greatly doubted in his lifetime, with many arguing that it was merely an illusion created by the microscopy technique he was using. It was confirmed only with better microscopes in the 20th century.
- Camillo Golgi
- 4 They are known for their short stature, green hair, orange skin, and white pants with protruding knees. In early editions of the novel, they are shown as African pygmies. Following growing controversy and criticism, in later editions of the book, they are white skinned and golden haired. Originally called "Whipple-Scrumpets". This was changed just before the publication of the book. They come from a small isolated area in West Africa. They would end up being preyed upon or attacked by Whangdoodles, Hornswogglers, and Snozzwangers, which also lived there if it were not for him. He ended up inviting them to work at his factory and get away from their natural predators. In the book, they are the only people he will allow to work in his factory, because of the risk of industrial espionage committed by his rivals. They are only knee-high, with astonishing haircuts, and are paid in their favourite food, cacao beans, which were extremely rare in their island. They insist on maintaining their native clothing: men wear skins, women wear leaves, and children wear nothing (in the 1971 film, they wore Germanic clothing with striped shirts and baggy lederhosen-like pants, in the 2005 film, they wore tribal clothing in their native land and typical factory worker uniforms in the factory). They are mischievous, love practical jokes and singing, and are very good at improvising, sing moralizing songs accompanied by a drum beat, and tend to speak in rhyme.
- Oompa-Loompas, Willy Wonka
- 5 In the erstwhile Soviet Union, many sports teams were affiliated to the central army, as a result of which they were called by a certain name. Even today, the name is seen in many sporting organizations in these countries. What term?
- 6 Enshrined in the Navagraha temple are nine Shivalingams, representing the nine Celestial bodies, each covered with a colored garment symbolic of each of the celestial bodies, with a Shivalingam in the centre symbolising the Sun. This temple is appropriately located in a city whose ancient name means The land of Astrology or The land of Eastern Astrology. Which city? What is the ancient name we are talking about?
- 7 Witenagemot, also known as Witan was a political institution in Anglo-Saxon England which operated from before the 7th century until the 11th century. It was an assembly of the ruling class whose primary function was to advise the king and whose membership was composed of the most important noblemen in England. Which organization gets its name from this?
- Wizengamot from Harry Potter
- 8 On the evening of 3 June 1947, an official announcement of the acceptance of the partition plan was made by Lord Mountbatten, Jinnah and Nehru in a radio broadcast. Nehru, in a solemn voice, announced that Congress had accepted the plan. Jinnah gave a long address to the Muslim Nation. He ended his speech by uttering a celebratory phrase. However, many listeners took it to mean something else because of his accent. What phrase? And what did the listeners hear it as?
- Pakistan Zindabad, Pakistan's in the bag
- 9 The turkic word qaz meaning to wander gave rise to a Turkish word meaning adventurer or nomad. From this we get two words used to refer to two ethnic groups one of Slavic descent, and one of Turkic descent. Name both words.
- Kazakh and Cossack
- 10 The name of this element was derived from a German word meaning evil spirit, sharing its root with the word goblin. Some believed that the element polluted other mined elements, while others believed that the metal was put there by the evil spirits who stole silver from the mines. Which element?
- STARRED QUESTIONS BEGIN
- 11* The common name given to this snake and others in the same genus is because of this distinctive action of theirs (swelling and contracting while making noises, video given). What name?
- Puff Adder
- 12* X, the largest chain of its kind in India, was started in 1877 by Emile Moreau and TK Bannerjee in Allahabad. Today it has more than 200 outlets throughout the country. Lalu Prasad Yadav had famously announced, Angrez chale gaye, ______ reh gaye in his October 2004 Budget speech. Which iconic entity?
- 13* In 1943, _____ attempted to buy out his contract, offering band leader Tommy Dorsey $60,000 to dissolve their relationship, but Dorsey turned him down. He wasn't about to sell his golden goose. That's when Dorsey received an unexpected visit from three gentlemen who made the bandleader an offer he couldn't refuse. Dorsey abruptly changed his mind and agreed to rip up the contract in exchange for one dollar. ____ played the diminutive Maggio who is beaten to a pulp by a vindictive sergeant played by Ernest Borgnine in a career changing performance. Mario Puzo remained coy when it came to the topic of ____ and never actually came right out and said that this character wasn't based on ____, but it's a connection that is hard to deny. Identify both.
- Frank Sinatra, Johnny Fontane
- 14* This panel from Asterix in Belgium portrays a speedy messenger. Which famous Belgian is it a reference to?
- Eddy Merckx
- 15* It is an island country spanning an archipelago of 10 volcanic islands in the central Atlantic Ocean. Portuguese explorers discovered and colonized the previously uninhabited islands in the 15th century. Name this country, which gets its name from the Portuguese word for green.
- Cape Verde
- 16.* Connect.
- 17* This implement's name literally means self-boiler. Traditionally, it consists of a tap at the bottom and a metal pipe running vertically through the l
View more >
IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee, IIIT Hyderabad, Amrita University, Dayalbagh University, NITK
TeNeT Group at IIT Madras Driving Innovation in India towards emerging Market Ashok jhunjhunwala TeNeT Group, IIT Madras, email@example.com
IIT Bombay IIT Delhi IIT Guwahati IIT Kanpur IIT Kharagpur IIT Madras IIT Roorkee Model Projects – Suggested Approach Way Forward? September 22-23, 2011
Zurück zur ersten Seite IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee, Amrita University, IIIT Hyderabad, Dayalbagh
Department of Ocean Engineering IIT ?· Department of Ocean Engineering IIT Madras ... Stability analysis…