How to Succeed At The Career Fair
Post on 24-Feb-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONHow to Succeed At The Career Fair . Prepare for the Career Fair as if it were a Job Interview!. You may be meeting your future employer for the first time, so make sure you make a good impression. . Being Overly Prepared Is A Good Thing. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
How to Succeed At The Career Fair
Prepare for the Career Fair as if it were a Job Interview! You may be meeting your future employer for the first time, so make sure you make a good impression.
Being Overly Prepared Is A Good Thing Before the career fair, there are a number of things you should do to prepare yourself for meeting with potential employers.
Visit the Career Development Website to obtain a list of the companies who will be attending the fair.
Which employers most interest you? Are companies advertising positions that you want to apply for?
Create a list of companies that you want to visit at the career fair.1. Find Out Who Is Attending
2. Visit The Websites Of the Companies You Want to Talk to Having background knowledge about the companies you want to visit at the career fair will help you build common ground with employers. Building common ground gives you more to talk about.
3. Prepare Questions for the Companies to Show Interest Preparing questions shows the company that you are interested in them and that you did your research.
For Example, You Might Ask: I read about your management training program on the company website. What do you look for in candidates for that program?
This will show employers that you are a serious job candidate.
Planning appropriate answers to certain questions will also help you.4. Anticipate Questions From the Company RepresentativesWhat do you know about our organization?Knowing information about a company, including what they are well known for or if they have been in the news recently, will once again show that you have done your research and that you are a serious job candidate.
Important Questions To Prepare ForWhat do you want to do after you graduate?
Employers want to know that you have at least thought about life after graduation.
Important Questions To Prepare For
Look like a professional when meeting employers for the first time.
5. Plan Your Attire For The DayIf you wouldnt wear an outfit to an interview, dont wear it to the career fair.
Avoid:JeansSweatpantsShortsMini skirtsSkortsSun dressesHalter topsSweatshirtsT-ShirtsOpen-toed shoesFlip-flops
Professional Attire For Women
Professional Attire For MenAvoid:JeansSweatpantsShortsLogo shirtsCartoon ShirtsSweatshirtsT-shirtsAthletic ShoesFlip-flops
There are several tasksfor you to complete onceyou arrive atthe career fair.
Once You Arrive at the Career FairNow that you have prepared yourself for the career fair, it is time to start meeting employers.
1. Check In When You ArriveWhen you arrive, prepare your name tag. Include your full name, major, and date of graduation.
You are going to meet numerous employers who will be giving you important information.
Carrying a notepad and a pen with you not only makes you look prepared, but it will help you keep track of the information you receive. 2. Carry A Notepad And A Pen With You3. Have Several Copies Of Your Resume On Hand
Have a different copy of your resume for each employer that you want to meet.
Tailor each objective statement to meet the needs of each employer that interests you.
Making eye-contact with employers is a good way to show that you are serious and that you are trustworthy.
Dont forget to SMILE!!! 4. Make Eye Contact With Company Representatives
5. Listen CarefullyListen carefully to the representatives you interview with and follow their lead. All your preparation before the career fair will pay off in your interviews!
6. Gather Business CardsBusiness cards are great for networking and provide you with contact information you may need in the future.
Do you have a target date for filling the job?
Is there an application or any additional documents that I need to complete in order to apply for this job?
Do you need any additional references?7. Ask About The Hiring Process For Each Company
When the interview is over, offer a firm handshake, and express your appreciation. 8. Offer A Firm Handshake
After The Interview Send a thank-you letter or email to every employer you interviewed with at the career fair.
This step is not only a courtesy, but will keep your name in the employers memory.