how allah is saving humanity (how allah is saving humanity)
out of 39
Post on 17-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- How Allah is Saving Humanity (How Allah is Saving Humanity)
- Slide 2
- Prophecy is a difficult business, especially when it involves the future. Voltaire Marx From Voltaire to Marx every Enlightenment thinker thought that religion would disappear in the 20th century because religion was fetishism, animistic superstition, says Harvards professor emeritus Daniel Bell
- Slide 3
- Freud The Future of an Illusion
- Slide 4
- H. G. Wells, in 1933, predicted that before 1960, all the worlds national governments would collapse, paving the way for a World State based on worldwide air transport. By 1977, this state would suppress all religions.
- Slide 5
- OCTOBER 1942 Will the Christian Church Survive? Bernard Iddings Bell the Church is hardly likely to matter any more tomorrow than it mattered yesterday or than it matters at the moment, which is just about not at all.
- Slide 6
- Episcopal Bishop Spong wrote a book called Why Christianity Must Change or Die and fellow-Episcopalian Arthur Peacock wrote that Christianity must abandon its incomprehensible and unbelievable supernatural beliefs and present faith in a credible manner. The New York Times said, Visit a church at random next Sunday, and you will probably encounter a few dozen people sprinkled thinly over a sanctuary that was built to accommodate hundreds or even thousands. The empty pews and white-haired congregants lend credence to those who argue that traditional religious worship is dying out. Burnham Beckwiths The Next 500 Years (1968) listed 31 trends he thought would shape the next semi-millennium. Trend #4 was the decline of religion and superstition.
- Slide 7
- In 1910, John R. Mott predicted that by 2000 all Africa would be Muslim.
- Slide 8
- In 1900, at the end of what Latourette calls the Great Century of Christian Missions 40 million out of the worlds 1620 million people were real Christians.
- Slide 9
- 1900 AD 40
- Slide 10
- Forty years later, the retreat of the West began Percent of the non- Western world under Western political control
- Slide 11
- Lebanon, Syria, Iceland Forty years later, the retreat of the West began
- Slide 12
- Jordan, Philippines, Korea, Indonesia, Pakistan, India, China Forty years later, the retreat of the West began
- Slide 13
- Sudan, Morocco, Congo, Nigeria, Cyprus Forty years later, the retreat of the West began
- Slide 14
- 99.5%.5% Forty years later, the retreat of the West began
- Slide 15
- 1900-2000 The Retreat of the West 1.Two world wars left major cities in Europe and Asia in ruins. 2.The world-wide depression of the 1930s took away any feeling of economic security. 3.The Holocaust showed human depravity. 4.The rise of Communism and the threat of nuclear annihilation crushed an optimistic belief in inevitable progress. 5.Philosophers turned away from Kants sweet reasonableness to Nietzsches pursuit of irrational power or Sartres desperate embrace of the absurd. 6.Theologians like Reinhold Niebuhr scoffed at the last centurys Pollyanna dreams of human perfectibility. 7.Thousands of missionaries exiled from China felt a deep sense of failure. 8.With the withdrawal of the colonial masters tribal warfare gripped Africa. BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE KINGDOM?
- Slide 16
- 99.5%.5% 40 648 Forty years later, the retreat of the West began The number of real Christians increased more than 1600% and their proportion more than quadrupled.
- Slide 17
- 2000 AD 9
- Slide 18
- Next Sunday Where will more people go to church?
- Slide 19
- Next Sunday Anglicans
- Slide 20
- Next Sunday Pentecostals
- Slide 21
- Next Sunday Presbyterians
- Slide 22
- Slide 23
- By the end of what many think was the worst century in human history (two world wars, the Communist revolutions, the AIDS epidemic) Christianity had spread to 648 million of the 6055 million in the world.
- Slide 24
- If present trends continue, by 2025 888 million of the worlds 7823 million people will be real Christians.
- Slide 25
- The turn of the twentieth century was marked by obsessive list-making--almost all of which neglected religion. This is comically myopic, akin to reviewing the 18th century and neglecting the French Revolution. For the last 500 years most Christians have lived in the West. In the last 100 years a revolution occurred. Today most Christians live in the South. 560 260 480 360 313
- Slide 26
- The turn of the twentieth century was marked by obsessive list-making--almost all of which neglected religion. This is comically myopic, akin to reviewing the 18th century and neglecting the French Revolution. For the last 500 years most Christians have lived in the West. In the last 100 years a revolution occurred. Today most Christians live in the South. 820 840 313
- Slide 27
- By 2025 this situation will have changed dramatically with almost 2/3 of all Christians living outside the West. 555 312 640 633 460
- Slide 28
- By 2025 this situation will have changed dramatically with almost 2/3 of all Christians living outside the West 867 1273 460
- Slide 29
- Slide 30
- How could this happen? What were the causes?
- Slide 31
- Of course, the grace of God. But Gods grace is not an innovation of the last century. Why did Christianity explode at this time? Andrew Walls argues Christianity grew when Christendom ended.
- Slide 32
- Slide 33
- Bible Translation Helping people hear Gods Word in their own heart languages Mark Noll: Bible translation is a second incarnation
- Slide 34
- Slide 35
- God had preceded the missionary in Africa and everywhere else, too.
- Slide 36
- Slide 37
- zwyl[ la El Elyon Gen 14:18 Melchizedek logoH Logos John 1:1 Heraclitus The unknown God Acts 17:23 Epimenides Zeus Theos Deus Allah The way to say God in Hausa and many other languages So Allah is saving humanity in two senses: 1. Since Allah is just another name for God, God is saving humanity through Jesus. 2. Since Allah is the vernacular way to say God, the use of Allah in Bible translation helps people to know the God they have worshiped ignorantly.
- Slide 38
- Slide 39
- 1.Dont believe the pessimists. 2.Thank God for what he is doing. 3.Join God in doing his work of saving the world. Pray Give Go
View more >