history top 10
Post on 22-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. History From 1900-2100Top 10
By: Matt Cook
2. Number 10
3. The Stock Market Crash
4. 5. 6. 7. The 1929 stock market crash is conventionally said to have occurred on Thursday the 24th and Tuesday the 29th of October. These two dates have been dubbed "Black Thursday" and "Black Tuesday,".
8. Billions of dollars were drawn from the banks into Wall Street for brokers' loans to carry margin accounts. People sold their Liberty Bonds and mortgaged their homes to pour their cash into the stock market. In the midsummer of 1929 some 300 million shares of stock were being carried on margin
9. On October 18 the market went into a free fall, and the wild rush to buy stocks gave way to an equally wild rush to sell. The people lined up at banks to get their money out. Unfortunately for them, the banks soon ran out of money. The banks closed and millions of people lost their money, giving rise to the famous hoovervilles. The Depression sparked by the crash lasted up until World War 2 brought the economy up and booming.
10. 11. 12. 13. Importance
The Stock Market crash gave way to the worst economic depression in the history of the U.S. leaving millions of people broke, and heartbroken. Roosevelts New Deal and the U.S.
14. involvement in World War 2 finally brought us out of the depression, but we now have new insurance policies protecting us from another depression, and protecting our money.
15. Number 9
16. The Rise of Hitler
17. 18. 19. 20. July 29, 1921, Adolf Hitler was introduced as Fhrer of the Nazi Party. Soon afterwards he became Chancellor of Germany. Hitler described in his novel Mein Kampf his plans for the future of Germany and the world. Soon he began to put those plans into action. He increased military spending and
21. created one of the largest most powerful armies in the world. He claimed Austria, Czechoslovakia, and used a joint blitzkrieg to take down Poland. Then Germany began a march upon the free world of Europe. He set up concentration camps and implemented his Final Solution, the destruction of all undesirables. The Jews being the biggest target.
22. Then because of Pearl Harbor, the U.S. entered the war and with the Soviet Union, Britain, and France, took down the Third Reich and ended Hitlers reign.
24. 25. 26. Importance
With Hitlers rise and fall, we witnessed the worst of man kind, and saw that good can triumph over evil. Precedent was set for the Nuremburg Trials, we let the world know that we would not stand for genocide of an entire race, or the crimes against humanity that the Nazis committed.
27. Number 7
29. 30. 31. 32. D-Day, codenamed as Operation Overlord consisted of the largest number of men and the largest number of ships ever assembled in an amphibious attack. On June 6, 1944 the assembled American, British, and Canadian troops attacked the beaches of Normandy France.
33. The Americans attacked the beaches of Omaha and Utah. Britain attacked the beaches of Gold and Sword, and the Canadians attacked Juno. After an intense day of fighting, the Allies had a foothold in France, and had opened up a second front.
34. 35. 36. Importance
The execution of Operation Overlord gave the allies a foothold in France to open up a second front during World War 2 and then end Hitlers reign of terror upon the world. This established Americas presence of power upon the world and our dedication to justice.
37. Number 6
40. 41. 42. On September 11, 2001 the world trade center, the twin towers were destroyed by two planes hijacked by Al Qaeda. 4 planes were hijacked, by 19 hijackers. Besides the two that crashed into the world trade center, one crashed into the pentagon and one crashed into a wheat field while heading towards the white house. 2995 civilians were killed during the attack, sparking President Bushs declaration of a War on Terror.
43. 44. 45. 46. Importance
The 9/11 attack was the worst attack on American soil in history. It wasnt the first, but it was the worst. It sparked President Bushs War on Terror and our invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan in our pursuit of the elimination of terrorists and dictators that harbor terrorists.
47. Number 5
48. Invention of the Airplane
49. 50. 51. 52. Orville Wright and Wilbur Wright requested a patent application for a "flying machine" nine months before their successful flight in December 1903. Their craft soared to an altitude of 10 feet, traveled 120 feet, and landed 12 seconds after takeoff. The name of the first plane was the Kitty Hawk.
53. 54. 55. Importance
With the invention of the modern airplane things across the planet changed For good. Military technology changed forever, we can carry bombs, and execute airstrikes. Citizens can travel across the entire world, and visit other countries and cultures.
56. Views of travel, and time spent traveling are completely different than they were 100 years earlier, and we take things like that kind of travel for granted.
57. Number 4
58. Womens Suffrage
59. 60. 61. 62. In the summer of 1920 the 19th Amendment, Womens Suffrage went into affect. The vote was lost three times in congress, until President Wilson made a passionate speech to congress asking them to endorse the bill. The bill finally allowed women to vote. After hundreds of years, and thousands of women's rights speeches and rallies, they could vote.
63. 64. 65. Importance
With the ratification of the 19th amendment, Womens Suffrage, men, although we would like to can no longer ask women to make us sammichs. The amendment was one of the final step towards making women just as equal as men. Of course, women were still expected to work in the home and raise a family, but that started to change
66. when World War 2 started. When men went to warWomen went to work. They first started in white-collar jobs, but soon they expanded. Now, they are as equal as men, and in a lot of cases, men bow before womens will.
67. Number 3
68. Man on the Moon
69. 70. 71. 72. On July 20, 1969 Apollo 11 landed on the moon. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrinbecame the first men to walk on the moon. This event became the end of the space race between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. After so many years and technology advances, man had walked on the moon. And things would only advance more.
73. 74. 75. Importance
With the first landing on the moon, weve increased our space technology to the point where we know so much more about the universe now. Weve expanded our knowledge so that we no longer look at the stars at night in ignorance. We know what they are, and our place in the universe.
76. Number 2
77. The Dropping of the Bomb
78. 79. 80. 81. During World War 2 on August 6, 1945 the atomic bomb Little Boy was dropped onto Hiroshima. 3 days later, the atomic bomb Fat Man was dropped on Nagasaki, ending the war. The codenamed Manhattan Project was created to develop the atomic bomb. With the creation of the atomic bomb, the world progressed into the new age. The atomic age.
82. 83. 84. Importance
With Trumans decision to drop the first atomic bomb, the world has never been the same. We progressed into the atomic age, with the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. struggling along into the cold war and beyond.
85. Today, we live in a world of nukes, with most of the world fearing the acquisition of those deadly armaments by the ones we consider to be evil.
86. Number One
87. The Internet
88. 89. 90. 91. The Internet began as a computer network of ARPA (ARPAnet) that linked computer networks at several universities and research labs in the United States. The World Wide Web was developed in 1989 by English computer scientist Timothy Berners-Lee for the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). The Internet, interconnection of computer networks that enables connected machines to communicate directly is actually a really new invention, yet already almost everyone takes it for granted.
92. 93. 94. Importance
Because of the invention of the internet the world been brought into its most controversial age. The internet age. The internet allows instantaneous communication, news, and products. It provides us with so much information that we forge ahead without thinking ahead. Yet some of us are left wondering about one thing what about the future