history of dr goh keng swee
Post on 08-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Dr Goh Keng Swee
- FORMER Deputy Prime Minister and Singapore's economic architect Goh Keng Swee died early on Friday morning after a long illness. He was 91.
- His father, Goh Leng Inn was a manager of a rubber plantation.
- Dr Goh joined the Department of Social Welfare in 1946, and was active in post-war administration.
- He resigned from the civil service in 1959 to enter politics and was elected as the People's Action Party representative for Kreta Ayer, his constituency until he retired in 1984.
- In 1959, he entered politics on the People's Action Party ticket. In 25 years of political service, he served as the Minister for Finance, Defence, and Education. He later became Deputy Prime Minister.
- He built up Singapore's armed forces in the early days and continued to advocate the use of technology to improve their capability.
- A man with varied interests, he was also involved in the creation of the Singapore Zoological Gardens, People's Association and the Jurong Bird Park.
10. 11. 12.
- President SR Nathan has described the late Dr Goh Keng Swee as a great teacher.
View more >