history of burbank by b.k. electric services
out of 15
Post on 11-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONInterested in learning about the city of Burbank? Want to get educated on how the city of Burbank was founded? Then, view the presentation created by Burbank electrician, B.K. Electric Services.
- 1. Spotlight On Our Community Burbank By B.K. Electric Services
- 2. Early History 1798: Rancho San Rafael is granted by the Spanish government 1821:The same government grants Rancho La Providencia. 1850: Dr. David Burbank arrives to California from New Hampshire 1867: Burbank buys 9000 acres off the Ranchos for $1/acre.
- 3. Dr. David Burbank Rancho La Providencia
- 4. 1884: Los Angeles County suffers a land shortage 1886: David Burbank forms the Providenicia Land,Water, and Development company to subdivide his land.
- 5. Burbank was a sheep rancher for 2 decades. At right: Plan on how to split Burbanks property.
- 6. 1887:TheTown of Burbank is officialy founded on May 1st. The town had its own irrigation system, street railway, and depot for the Southern Pacific Railroad. Burbank, 1887
- 7. 1909: Los Angeles begins construction of the great Los Angeles Aqueduct. 1913:The LA Aqueduct is completed, bringing water from the OwenValley in the Sierra Nevada to homes and businesses in the San FernandoValley.
- 8. Work continues on the Los Angeles Aqueduct. Work is completed and water runs.
- 9. 1911: On July 8th, the community of Burbank is officially incorporated by the Los Angeles County as the City of Burbank.
- 10. 1920s: First National Studios plants itself on Olive Avenue.
- 11. 1929: Warner Brothers Studios purchases First National and moves its Hollywood production to Burbank. 1930s: Columbia Pictures sets up shop and a backlot. 1939: Walt Disney Productions moves onto BuenaVista Street.
- 12. Aviation 1930: United Airport opens 1940: Lockheed Aircraft Company purchases Burbanks Union Air Terminal. 1942-1945:Lockheed proves a capable and crucial supplier of warplanes to the Allied war effort.
- 13. Lockheed AircraftTerminal, circa 1940s.
- 14. 1978:Airport Authority purchases Lockheed Airport and renames it the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport. 2003: the airport is renamed again to the Bob Hope Airport after the late, great comedian.
- 15. Bob Hope Airport as it stands today.
View more >