hire tough to manage easy
out of 33
Post on 11-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThe most important decision a manager makes every day is who allows in the door to help him take care of his customer. The presentation focuses on the keys to hire the right people so you can build a front-line workforce that will help you build your bottom line.
- 1. HIRE TOUGH, Manage EasyPRESENTED BY MEL KLEIMAN, CERTIFIED SPEAKING PROFESSIONAL & PRESIDENT
- 2. Key Ideas If I give you $100 and you give me $100, what do we each have? If I give you an idea and you give me an idea, then what do we each have?
- 3. Key Objectives If you keep doing what youre doing, youll keep getting what you got. In your workbook, make a list of the specific questions you have and/or the topics you would like to see addressed
- 4. You Cant Get There from Here, Unless You Know Where Here Is 1. On a scale of 1 10 (where 10 is the highest) , how do you rate your company on: Recruiting? _____ Selection? _____ Retention? _____ 2. How do you rate your location, store, or site? Recruiting? _____ Selection? _____ Retention? _____ 3. How do you rate yourself? Recruiting? _____ Selection? _____ Retention? _____ 4. What makes you these numbers? 5. What do you need to do to raise the bar?
- 5. First, Ask Yourself: 1. Could we do this job differently or without hiring a new employee? 2. Do we really make hiring A-Players a #1 priority and what happens if we dont? 3. Why would an A-Player want to work for us? 4. Why would an A-Player want to work for this manager? 5. How will we know we have the right person? 6. What will we do to ensure this persons success?
- 6. 10 Reasons If you dont have a list, where will the applicant get the list? What are the top 10 reasons people should want to work for you? What are the top 10 reasons your customers want to buy from you?
- 7. Return on Investment 3 Poor Employees = 1 Average Employee 3 Average Employees = 1 Good Employee 3 Good Employees = 1 Great Employee The Container Store What is the cost if we dont fill this position? What is the cost if we fill the position with the wrong person? What is the cost/benefit if we fill this position with a good employee? What is the cost/benefit if we fill this position with an A-Player?
- 8. Start with the End in Mind Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have. ACHIEVEMENTS SKILLS PERSONALITY ATTITUDE CAPACITIES
- 9. What Is The Most Important Quality an Employee Can Have? 49% POSITIVE ATTITUDE 20% Honesty/Integrity 6% Communications Skills 6% Ambition 6% Dependability 6% Friendly/Amiable 7% Other
- 10. Why Do You Usually Fire Employees? 32% Absenteeism/Tardiness 22% Other Reasons 19% Bad Attitude/Work Ethic 18% Dishonesty/Misconduct 9% Inability to Do The Job
- 11. What Does Success Look Like? What did this employee do in order to earn this award? Employee of the Year This award is presented to recognize these outstanding achievements:
- 12. A Selection System Will: The system always gives you 100% of what the system is designed to give you. Dr. W. Edwards Deming Identify the best potential employees Tell you why an applicant will be a good employee Eliminate unqualified applicants quickly Make the job hard to get Test for what you need Provide more and better information Save time, money, and aggravation Reduce legal exposure Verify that what you see is what you get Increase retention & productivity
- 13. Ninety-four percent of all failures are due to systems, not people. -Dr. W. Edwards Deming What does a great applicant have to do to get the job? What does a great employee do on the job?
- 14. Once We Know Who We Are Trying to Attract... Where do these people: Congregate? Socialize & entertain? Work? Play? Belong? Shop? Live? Participate in the community?
- 15. Out-of-the-Box Thinking Past Employees Referrals from Current Employees Alternate Newspaper Sections The Internet & Your Website Community Involvement & Networking Event Marketing Signs Where They Congregate Direct Mail The best you can hire cant be any better than the best of those who apply. Point-of-Sale Temporaries School Sporting Events Intern Program Referrals from Applicants, Customers & Vendors Realtors/Welcome Wagon Bag Stuffers On the Back of Cash Register Tapes
- 16. Automation Automation Automation 24-Hour Job Hotline Your Website The Internet/Job Boards Interactive Voice Response Kiosks Any task that is redundant and repetitive needs to be automated. Lex Wexman, Chairman of the Board, The Limited
- 17. Automation Automation Automation Ask yourself: When do you accept applications? When do you conduct interviews? Is it easy for people who are already working to apply? Take applications 24-hours a day: Your telephone answering machine Automated job hotline with prescreening interview & report functions The Internet
- 18. If They Dont Wanna Work for You, Nobodys Gonna Stop Em! Help Wanted is not a good reason for anyone to apply. In order to attract the quantity and quality of people you need: Have a great headline Tell them what they will achieve on this job to be successful Tell them why they want to work for you Indicate the general location of the job so people unwilling to make the trip screen themselves out Specify when and how to apply (make it easy) Discourage drug abusers. Always include a line like: Must be drug free.
- 19. Employee Selection It doesnt matter how good the applicant is How good is the interviewer at determining how good the applicant will be on the job?
- 20. Selection System Tools If you want a winning team, you need these tools on your side Pre-Screen Testing Employment Application Reference Verification Release Forms Structured Interview Interview Rating Form
- 21. Everything Is a Test
- 22. Positioning Tell them what is going to happen and what you want them to do: Tell them briefly about the company and the job Position them to tell you the truth Gather information Answer their questions
- 23. Achievement-Based Interviews & Evidence-Based Selection We hire people with great interviewing skills instead of the people who will be great on the job..
- 24. Achievement-Based Interviews The five most important questions: Tell me about the first job you ever had. Tell me about the achievements in your life you are most proud of and the obstacles or problems you had to overcome. Tell me about your last performance appraisal. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rank yourself as a _____________. Why did you give yourself that number? What one question would you like to ask me? Of all the questions you could have asked, why did you choose that one?
View more >
siemens-vai.com When the going gets tough, the tough get going ?· When the going gets tough, the tough…
Tough Plastics for the Mining Industry - BASF ... · Tough Plastics for the Mining Industry Tough Plastics…
RODNEY WALKER Tough TIMES DON’T LAST; TOUGH PEOPLE DO rodney walker tough times don’t last; tough people do