High School College Comparison - SLCC ?· in High School and College ... High School College The K-12…

Download High School College Comparison - SLCC ?· in High School and College ... High School College The K-12…

Post on 18-Aug-2018




0 download


  • There is No Resource Room in College: The Differences Between Accommodations

    in High School and College

    AA/EO Institution

    www.slcc.edu/drcDisability Resource Center

    2014--Reference: www2.ed.gov/print/about/offices/list/ocr/transition.html

    High School College

    The K-12 educational system is governed by laws that apply to students with disabilities, primarily the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, reauthorized in 2004). Children with disabilities who qualify for special education are also automatically protected by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and the Americans with Disability Act as Amended (ADAAA-2008).

    Institutions of higher education are governed by two laws that apply to students with disabilities the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-325, ADAAA).

    Public schools, for the most part, are responsible for appropriate assessment of a students disability.

    An IEP may help identify effective services in the college classroom but may not be sufficient documentation to receive accommodations on the college level. Accepted documentation must be prepared by an appropriate professional; provide a current diagnosis; define how the disability affects your academic performance and major life activities; and provide enough information to determine an appropriate academic adjustment.

    While the student is in school, the public school district provides assessment, physical therapy, speech therapy or other therapy, and personal care.

    The student is responsible for personal services, (arranging and paying for) personal care and medical and related requirements, just as if they were living independently and not attending school. Personal services also include readers for personal use or study, as well as typing services and tutoring.

    Students are qualified for services in public education because of being the appropriate age and because they have a disability.

    The term otherwise qualified in higher education means that the student must meet all entrance and academic requirements with or without reasonable accommodations.

    The Individual Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Plan drive all school services and accommodations. In addition to the parents of the student, these plans are formulated by and involve teachers, school psychologists, and administration. The students participation in the planning is optional; however, the parents signature is required.

    Parents are not involved in the educational process without the students permission. According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Once a student reaches 18 years of age or attends a postsecondary institution, he or she becomes an "eligible student," and all rights formerly given to parents under FERPA transfer to the student.

    Under IDEA children with disabilities are entitled to a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) to meet their unique needs and prepare them for further education, employment and independent living.

    Equal access to education is the governing principle in higher education. Students have civil rights and must advocate for themselves in order to enjoy those rights. Disclosure of a students disability is always voluntary; but a pre-requisite for receiving accommodations.

    Public school districts receive federal funding to provide remedial and special education services. Public school districts include services to assure a students success and are responsible for outreach to students.

    Colleges are required to provide reasonable accommodations, but receive no additional financial support to provide support services, and are not required to provide remedial services if such services are not provided for all students.