out of 14
Post on 11-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- Hybrid Cars Presentation of Netta Laczkovics
- Personal Introduction Netta Laczkovics BME Mechanical Engineering BSc in Industrial Design Engineering Second year
- Introduction A hybrid vehicle is a vehicle that uses two or more distinct power sources to move the vehicle. The term most commonly refers to Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) which combines an internal combustion engine and one or more electric motors.
- The spread of Hybrids Problems -Harmful effects on the Earths environment -Dependence of fossil fuels -High fuel prices Electric cars ar not the answer: while electric vehicles are qualified as Zero Emission, they are not quite practical. Only ideal for short trips around town, but not so good for cross-country trips This is where hybrid technology becomes key!
- Types of hybrid cars Electric hybrids: use the electric motor as their alternative energy source Plug in Rechargeable energy storage system (RESS) Hydrogen hybrids: extract the element from water and add the hydrogen to the fuel-air mixture of the vehicle Power sources for hybrid vehicles: Gasoline or Diesel fuel Hydrogen Compressed air Liquid nitrogen
- Environmentally friendly Hybrid cars can play a significant role in solving major problems faced by the world such as, 1. Climate change 2. Air pollution 3. Oil dependence
- How it works
- ADVANTAGES DISADVANTAGES Lower emmision Expensive Better mileage Producing them still harms the environment /carbon footprint/ Very quiet Consume less fuel Environmentally friendly Warranted Money saved Slower acceleration More weight due to heavy battery packs
- Timeline 1839, First electric vehicle 1890-1910 Significant improvement in battery technology (lead acid, nickel iron) 1997, the first modern hybrid electric car, the Toyota Prius, was sold in Japan 1999 Honda Insinght released in US 2000, Toyota Prius available in US 2002, Honda Civic introduced 2004, Toyota Prius II introduced, Ford Escape Hybrid introduced
- Today.future? The future for Hybrids looks bright with rapid developments in hybrid technology to improve engine efficiency Due to Regenerative Braking Technology, the batteries need not to be charged anymore by an external source. Hybrids help reduce the dependency on fossil fuels Do You think hybrid cars are the way of the future?
- Why hybrid cars Concern that the battery-operating engine would not last 8 years and batteries cost $2000-$3000 to replace Honda & Toyota both offer 10 years warrenties on the electric motor Tax incentives for buying hybrid vehicles (in the US) If you were given the choice between a hybrid car and a conventional car and they were the same price which one whould you choose?
- Conclusion Still the hybrids might be in the cradle locks but as the technology increases gradually The Hybrids would be replacing The Conventionals in order to be fuel efficient and act as a Helping Hand to the Environment. Although costly in the market but having a long term vision for the hybrids is profound to hit the causes of helping Fuel Draught that might occur in the near future.
- Sources www.hybridcarinfosite.com http://mapawatt.com/2009/12/16/plug-in-car/ http://boise-toyota.com/2012-prius-plug-in-boise-news/0007-2012-toyotaprius-plug-in-hybrid/ http://boise-toyota.com/2012-prius-plug-in-boise-news/0007-2012-toyotaprius-plug-in-hybrid/ http://www.owningelectriccar.com/electric-car-history.html
- Any question? Thank you
View more >