healthy dining: working with dining services on campus cls
Post on 26-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation of the work between Healthy Carolina and Sodexho dining services related to bringing, fresh, healthy, local foods on campus at the University of South Carolina.
- 1. Cynthia Steele Marketing Manager- Sodexo Michelle Burcin Director- Healthy Carolina University of South Carolina
- Sodexo is committed to enhancing the learning environment on your campus through world-class food and facilities services, while supporting the ethics and values of your institution.
- Healthy Carolina is committed to creating a campus environment that encourages and promotes the development and maintenance of a healthy body, mind, and spirit through the collaborative development, promotion and assessment of a wide-ranging array of wellness programs and services for all students, faculty and staff at the University of South Carolina.
3. Remember- Dining Services are businesses andMUSTmake$ 4. small steps areSTILLsteps forward need to celebrate successes 5.
- Sodexo initiated project
- Live cooking demonstration- emphasizing the Balanced Way plate
- Built stage and light
- Head chefs determine recipes and participate in demonstrations
- Discount coupons given out for BW plates
- Held on Tuesdays approximately every two weeks
6. BEING WELL, EATING WELL, LIVING WELL IN A BALANCED WAY The Balanced Way program - a common sense approach to eating nutritiously to help make every day a better day. 7.
- Offer local, fresh fruits and vegetables
- Purchase a minimum of 25% locally grown produce
- Campus-wide marketing of program
- Creates brand loyalty and recognition among students, faculty and staff
- Great public relations support the local economy and local farmers
8. http://sc.edu/dining 9.
- Started in September 2008
- Partnership with: SCDA, Healthy Carolina, Student Government, Parking Services
- No sweet only vendors allowed
- Many lessons learned
- Recommend: ESMMSC Tool Kit
- Partnerships a necessity
- Evidence-based program
- Ohio State University hospital system
- SnackWise program
- Conducted surveys
- Favorite unhealthy and healthy foods
- Health status determined by Registered Dietitian
- Lots of meetings with vending company
- Developed signage
- Staggered implementation
- Need to keep each others missions in mind
- Meet regularly
- Maintain communication
- Increase accountability
- Acknowledge accomplishments and provide recognition
- Relationship needs to be two-sided(e.g. cant always expect things without giving)
14. 15. Michelle M. Burcin Director- Healthy Carolina University of South Carolina 803.777.4752 [email_address] Cynthia Steele Marketing Manager- Sodexo 803.777.6339 [email_address]