health & wealth gospel a kingdom perspective 17.7.16
Embed Size (px)
Chong Seng Gee
17 July 2016
HEALTH & WEALTH GOSPEL
Positive Thinking, Active Faith & Grace Choosing to be positive and having a
grateful attitude is going to determine how you're going to live your life.
Faith activates God - Fear activates the Enemy.
Do all you can to make your dreams come true.
Joel Osteen, Senior Pastor, Lakewood Church
The Modern Corinthian Church
1. Christ exalted, not crucified
2. Signs, wonders and power
3. Because God heals, He must heal everyone
4. No place for hunger, weakness, thirst and poverty
5. We must reign with Him, its our birthright! (Luke 4:18-19)
6. Anything less lack of Faith
History & New Ideas1. New Thought & Positive Confession Movement
E.W. Kenyon (1890s)
2. Word of Faith & Seed Faith (Blessed Pacts) Oral Roberts (1947), Kenneth Hagin (1970s-1990s)
2. Pentecostal healing and deliverance evangelists (1940s & 1950s)
History & New Ideas
4. Rise of Televangelism Oral Roberts (1960s), Rev Ike (1970s), Jim Bakker & Benny Hinn (1980s)
5. Neo-Pentecostal Movements Joel Osteen, Bruce Wilkinsons (Prayer of Jabez) & Kenneth Copeland (1990s & 2000s)
6. Megachurch Movements of the 2000s and beyond (US export)
Prosperity & Perfect Health 1. Book of Malachi 3:9-10
2. Contract between God and man
3. Faith in God = Grace = Security & Prosperity
4. Confession is an act of activating faith
Prosperity & Perfect Health
5. Empowerment (Gods Will) & Atonement (Reconciliation) & Justification The Divine Package
6. Sickness and poverty are curses to be broken by Faith
7. Achieved through donations, visualization & positive confession
Characteristics of this Church
1. Non-denominational and independent
2. Sole pastor or leader with charisma and either Star or CEO qualities
3. Some create multi-church networks and emphasise on experiential grace and faith
Recent Events Past & Near Present
Crystal Cathedral , 1981
Megachurch by Robert H. Schuller, TV Evangelist, 1995
Chp 11 bankruptcy, staggering debt
40 ac, glass tower sold $57.5m in 2011
City Harvest Church, Oct 2015
Guilty : 6 Church leaders including founder pastor
Funnelling SGD50m church building funds thru bogus bond investments
Ms Hos musical ambitions for gospel outreach
Criminal breach of trust
1. HEALTH AND WEALTH ?
Search the Scriptures
1. Think, Claim, Get Serve God and get rich God wills your prosperity So think Gods thoughts, claim it and its yours Oral Roberts, Kenneth Copeland,
Kenneth Hagin, Joel Osteen
The Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head (Matthew 8:19-22)
Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me (Lk 9:23)
2. Problems in InterpretationNot what we think but the original intent of the author
3 John 2 : Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayestprosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth (vs 4, 11)
1 Tim 5:23 : Stop drinking water, use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses
John 10:10-11 : The abundant life from a shepherd vs the thief steal, kill & destroy (vs 11)
Phil 4:19 : My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (vs 13-18)
3. False Theology : Giving to Get
Mal 3:10 : "Bring to the storehouse a full tenth of what you earn so there will be food in my house. Test me in this, says the Lord All-Powerful. I will open the windows of heaven for you and pour out all the blessings you need
1. Promotes a self-centredness agenda rather than God-centredness.
2. Out of context see vs.8-9
Gustav Aulen : If God is the Holy One, he is also the One on whom we are absolutely dependent. We are in His power, not He in ours
4. Cause and Effect Formulas
Jobs Misleading Comforters (Job 4:7-8)
Luke 13 :1-5 : Galileans and the Tower in Siloam which fell on the 18 people (note : repentance)
2. A KINGDOM OF GOD PERSPECTIVE INNER AND OUTER
1. Is God The Servant Or The King (re: genie in the bottle)?
2. Is HE trapped or bound by a contract of service called Faith
3. The Already and The Not-Yet Tension
Health1 Cor 6:13-14 : The body though still subject to decay and death in the present age, nonetheless belongs to the Lord and is destined for resurrection
Rom 8: 19 : Present suffering and future gloryHeb 12:28-29 : ShakeningsMat 24:1-2 : Destruction of the Temple and
Signs of the End Times
Reality Checks1. 2 Kings 13:14
2. Acts 12:1-3
3. 2 Cor 12:12 vs 2 Cor 12:20
4. Phil 2:26 vs 2 Tim 4:20
5. 2 Cor 4:16-18 & 2 Cor 5:1-2
Elisha - miracles yet suffered illness & died
James martyred, Peter released
Signs, wonders, miracles yet troubles
Ephaphroditus nearly died but healed. Trophimus left sick in Miletus
Carried in his body illness & sufferings. Yet waiting for heavenly tent
1. Distinction between suffering and illness
2. Suffering is something external to us, a result of our following Christ
3. Sickness and disease are now overcome by Christ
4. We are living in NT times esp. after Christs death
Most Dangerous of Scriptural Gymnastics
No need of Repentance
Grace to the extreme : finished work on the Cross
Doctrine of Justification but no Doctrine of Sanctification
1 John 1:8-9, Matt 6:33
The Way Forward
1. Prosperity gospel challenges our faith to be alive and energised.
2. Do we search the Scriptures for Gods truth?
3. When God answers, what is our response (Job)?
4. In examining our faith do we control or let God control?
The Way Forward
5. What about the Already and the Not-Yet mystery of Kingdom of God?
6. Healing, like wealth is not a divine obligation but a divine gift.
7. If a gift, we can make no demands. Ours is gratefulness, humility and trust (Hab 3:17-19).