Guided Notes about Ocean Movements Chapter 15, Section 3.
Post on 16-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Guided Notes about Ocean Movements Chapter 15, Section 3
- Slide 2
- 1. A wave is a rhythmic movement that carries energy through space or matter. An ocean wave is generated by wind flowing over the waters surface.
- Slide 3
- 2. The highest point in a wave is the crest, and the lowest is the trough. The vertical distance from crest to trough is the wave height.
- Slide 4
- 3. Wavelength is the horizontal crest-to-crest distance. Wave speed increases with wavelength.
- Slide 5
- 3 factors that determine wave height Wind speed Wind duration Fetch, which is the expanse of water that the wind blows across
- Slide 6
- 5. Tides are a periodic rise and fall of sea level. The daily cycle of high and low tides takes 24 hours and 50 minutes.
- Slide 7
- 6. Surface currents affect the upper few hundred meters of the ocean. They follow predictable patterns because they are driven by Earths global wind systems.
- Slide 8
- 7. Earths continents deflect ocean currents to the north and south so that closed circular current systems, called gyres, develop. The gyres of the northern hemisphere circulate in a clockwise direction because of the Coriolis effect.
- Slide 9
- Define and state the importance of upwelling Upwelling is the upward motion of ocean water from cold, lower depths to the surface. Upwellings are important because they are rich in nutrients, which support abundant populations of marine life.
View more >
15.1 Guided Notes - ?· CHAPTER 15: ACIDS & BASES Guided Notes for Section 15.1: Properties of Acids…
The Holocaust Guided Notes - ?· The Holocaust Guided Notes Chapter 18, Section 3 Anti‐Semitism Mid‐…
CHAPTER 16, SECTION 3 GUIDED NOTES DELIAN ?· DELIAN LEAGUE PELOPONNESIAN LEAGUE ... CHAPTER 16, SECTION…
Chapter 15 Section 3 notes - Friendship Central School ... ?· Chapter 15 Section 3 Challenges to Slavery…
Name Guided Notes Chapter 9 - North Penn School ?· Name_____ Guided Notes Chapter 9 Chapter 9 – Section…
Chapter 3 Guided Notes Parallel and Perpendicular ?· Chapter 3 Guided Notes Parallel and Perpendicular…
Chapters 14 & 15 (Part I) Guided Notes Chapter 14 & 15 (Part I) Guided Notes Chapter 14: The Formation…
U.S. History Name: Guided Notes Chapter 15 (part 1) ?· Guided Notes Chapter 15 (part 1) The New Frontier…