Gps for outdoor activities
out of 18
Post on 22-Nov-2014
DESCRIPTIONPresentaci que vaig fer durant el curs que em van donar com formador a Alemanya segons el Internation Board for Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction (http://www.ibstpi.org/)
- 1. GPS for outdoor activities Enjoy a rich, safe and funny experience in nature activities with a GPS? run, bike, go trekking, sail, hunting, recollecting to find, discover, record, explore, share & exercise and never ruin your experience because you get lost Saves you time for more enjoyment!
- 2. Objectives
- Select best device
- Know limitations and fundamentals
- Share your experience in Internet
- 3. Whats GPS
- GPS is Global Position satellite system developed by US Department of Defense. Started in 1973 and fully operational in 1994 with 24 satellites
- Bill Clinton issued a policy directive opening GPS system to civilian use in1996
- Other systems are under development: GLONASS (Russia), Compass Navigation System (China) and Galileo (UE)
- Some GPS devices have capabilities which officially are considered as weapons
- See more in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS
- 4. GPS devices for outdoor activities
- Mobile phone with GPS
- Integrated with other devices
- Data charges when AGPS is used (assisted GPS)
- Low sensibility
- Low autonomy (2-4 hours) without replaceable batteries
- Maps may update over mobile network, but not too much topography maps
- GPS outdoor devices
- Much richest features
- Higher sensibility (accuracy)
- Higher autonomy with replaceable batteries (10 hours an AA pair)
- Manager multiple coordinating systems used in topography
- Able to work in highly humid environments, even submergible
- 5. Recommendation
- Recommendation: GPS outdoor devices
- Garmin and Magellan most important manufacturers
- Price ranges from 100 to 600 Euros
- There are smaller ones in clocks and pulsemeters for runners (Garmin, Polar)
- How to select most appropriate?
- 6. Product features escalation
- No maps
- Starting users or/and occasional use.
- Garmin eTrex H (100 Euros)
- Maps and MicroSD ext. memory
- Regular use
- Garmin eTrex LEGEND HCx (150 Euros)
- Electronic Compass
- Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (190 Euros)
- Garmin GPSMAP 62st
- Atmospheric altimeter and barometer
- Professionals and experts
- GARMIN GPSMAP 62s (325 Euros)
- Tactile, wireless data sharing, camera
- Garmin Oregon 450 (355 Euros)
- Price source: Pixmania http:// www.pixmania.com
- 7. Some functionalities Trip computer Height profile 3D views
- 8. Limitations and recommendations
- Signal strength decreases (accuracy) in dense forests, canyons, high buildings, high density clouds.
- GPS maps cannot provide a global view about routes. Zoom out has too much clutter
- A compass is a good complement
- Paper printed cartography is highly recommended.
- 9. Basic concepts
- Waypoints. Reference points of your route.
- Track Log . Route you are following represented and stored in your device.
- Track . Path you plan to follow represented in your screen
- 10. Basic concepts
- Coordinate system = Datum
- Flat representation of a rough ellipsis
- Latitude and longitude not useful
- Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) and Universal Polar Stereographic (UPS) are used on cartography. 1 Km divisions
- Each country uses its most accurate Datum
- Spain ED50 , Google maps WGS84 , GB OSGB36 .
- Wrong Datum can be 200 meters errors
- 11. Basic GPS settings
- Select same Datum as your topo map
- Orient screen image in following ways:
- North on top . Useful in orientation with paper maps
- Track Log direction on top . Track rotates pointing your direction up. Useful following a track or driving
- 12. Get tracks and waypoints
- Get waypoints from a Maps.
- Use same Datum in GPS device!
- Tip: 10 divisions rule can be extremely useful!
- Send directly points in Google Maps direct to your GPS
- Scan a map, select Datum select reference points, write route and send it to GPS. SW solution: OziExplorer
- GPS software with related maps
- 13. Sharing data
- Geolocated photographs. Panoramio
- URL: http://www.panoramio.com
- Photos in Picasa can be geolocated and be send to Panoramio
- Share tracks. Wikiloc, Gpsies.com,
- URL Wikiloc: http://www.wikiloc.com
- URL Gpsies: http://www.gpsies.com
- Then you can share your experience on Social Networks, Blogs,
- 14. Panoramio http://www.panoramio.com
- 15. Wikiloc http://www.wikiloc.com
- 16. Wikiloc
- 17. Conclusion
- GPS is great electronics device for adventurers
- What would you do if you have one?
- Would you do same things if you do not have one?
- Any question?
- If you are you interested know more feel free to contact me
- Thank you for your interest
View more >
TEACHING VOCABULARY USING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FOR /Teaching...TEACHING VOCABULARY USING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FOR ... English Diploma Program, ... “Teaching Vocabulary Using Outdoor Activities for the 3th grade
Suggested Outdoor and Indoor Activities for Day ?· 2018-04-10 · Suggested Outdoor and Indoor Activities…
Safety in Outdoor Education Policy for Schools Youth in Outdoor Education Policy for Schools Youth ... Introduction - Outdoor and Adventurous Activities 4 ... for all Outdoor Activities 11 Land Based ...