going green final
Post on 13-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. By: JAIDEEP SINGH GROVER
- Green is perhaps one of the biggest trends to hit the modern marketplace.
3. Wal-Mart is going Green. 4. Hollywood celebrities are eco-evangelists. 5. The 2008 Olympics set the new gold standard for sustainable events. 6. Religious leaders are making the environment a moral issue. GOING GREEN
- Two Central questions to answer:
8. Is there a trade off between Going Green & Profitability? 9. Should firms take the initiative to Go Green.DEFINING THE TOPIC
- Sustainable Business
11. Triple Bottom Line 12. Corporate Social ResponsibilityGOING GREEN
13. Humanity has the ability to make development sustainable--to ensure that it meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
15. People 16. PlanetTRIPLE BOTTOM LINE
- Stakeholder theory.
18. Social contract argument. 19. Environment ethic. OBLIGATIONS TO GO GREEN
- Stockholder theory :
Firms are obliged only to the stockholders
- Stakeholder theory :
Firms have obligations to any person who is affected by a firms actions
STOCK HOLDER VS. STAKE HOLDER
- Firms are obliged to address any environmental issues that affect the stakeholders.
22. More realistic description of how firms operate - managers are not only concerned with stockholders. 23. Right thing to do because it corrects environmental problems caused by business. STAKEHOLDERS ARGUMENTS
- Contractual obligations with the society
25. Society expects that firms engage in socially acceptable practices in return for allowing them to conduct business activities. 26. Firms who do not use power (in ways that society deems responsible) will tend to lose it. SOCIAL CONTRACT
27. GREEN IS ENTERING SOCIAL CONTRACT
- 90% of executives and consumers expect environmental issues to be top sociopolitical issue for the next five years (Mckinsey Global Survey 2008)
28. Singapore aims to be carbon trading hub (worth US$25b in 2006) in Asia (CNA 17 Nov 07) 29. FORTUNE 500 CEOs, including GEs Jeff Immelt and Wal-Marts Lee Scott have initiated going green (Fortune 2 Apr 2007) 11/16/2009
- Treaty initiated by United Nations (UN)
31. Aims To stabilize greenhouse gas concentration level such that it will not harm the climate
- Not legally binding
32. Includes provisional updates (Protocols) Kyoto Protocol
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
33. CONTROL OF VEHICULAR EMISSIONS
- Diesel Vehicle registered after 1 Oct 2006
34. Comply Euro VI emission standard 35. Lower CO 2 and particulate matter 36. Impact 37. Taxi companies 38. Bus companies 39. Alternatives for Taxi and Bus CompaniesNatural gas CNG vehicles
- The Equator Principles
42. All things being equal, firms which are green will have easier access to capital 43. Bank of America 44. Barclays plc 45. Citigroup Inc. 46. HSBC Group 47. JPMorgan Chase 48. The Royal Bank of Scotland 49. Share prices of greener firms command higher premiums. (Harvard Business School Review) WALL STREET & GREEN
- ONGC is Indias Greenest Company, as per Business Today
51. ONGC is the first company to achieve zero-flaring in Offshore. 52. Adopted an eco-friendly process for de-sludging crude-oil storage tanks 53. On expanding green cover, maintaining biodiversity apart from creating aesthetically satisfying environment are key objectives of the company. 54. ONGC has developed a corporate mission statement on being carbon neutral, one of the few energy majors so far. 55. ONGC has formalized its corporate policy on Climate change and sustainability, the only PSU in India to have done so.11/16/2009
- Indias third greenest company.
57. Treated effluent water recycling and re-use and rain water harvesting 58. Re-circulating sea cooling tower systems instead of once through sea cooling water system thereby minimizing the sea cooling requirement and effluent discharge to the sea. 59. Minimize / eliminate fugitive emissions 60. Improvement in Energy Efficiency of the Refinery & distribution operation by use of new technology & modern instrumentation.BPCLBPCL
- The KB-series engines introduced in 2008-09 are the most fuel efficient and environment friendly engines. The Ritz, a new car with a KB-series engine is the first car in India that meets Bharat Stage - 4 emission requirements, ahead of the deadline of 1st April, 2009 set by Government.
62. The company has constructed Rain Water Harvesting structures within the factory premises to collect rain water and recharge back into the aquifer below ground level. 63. Zero waste water discharge company 64. Company has its own captive power plants to meet its power requirements .The major fuel used for power generation is natural gas. 65. The company promotes 3 R (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle) in its manufacturing facilities, supply chain and logistic operations11/16/2009
- 30.6% of companys energy come from renewable source.
67. Farm forestry project cover 90000 hectares . 68. ITCs paper & paper product gets readymade material from carbon sequestration, which creates rural jobs. 69. ITC office in Gurgaon is LEED certified at highest level of energy efficiency. 70. ITC hotels use energy-efficientcompact fluorescent lamps.ITC
71. ITC sonar in Kolkata is worlds first carbon positive five star hotel.
Its green initiative extends to rain water harvesting, recycling of waste and effluent.
- Nokia ranks in first place in taking green initiatives in electronic sector.
73. Aims to minimize the environmental impact of its products throughout all its operations. 74. First mobile handset manufacturer which had Eco declarations available for its products as early as 2001. 75. All devices use as little energy aspossible, sourcing 25% of its energy from renewable resources and aiming to increase that amount to 50% by 2011.NOKIA
- Dropped the hazardous waste of its manufacturing operations by 30%.
77. To design the worlds first manned airplane powered by a fuel cell. 78. Remained a technology and aerospace leader as well as a responsible corporate citizen through its commitment to sustainability and innovation.AEROSPACE (BOEING)
- Large contributor to the global transmission anddistribution of energy.
80. Claim to minimize the environmental impact through various efforts including solutions that allow for CO2 free energy generation for transmitting energy from environmentally friendly sources. 81. One of the largest supporter of nuclear energy. 82. Continues to support theconstruction of new reactorsAREVA
- HPs energy star qualified product save consumer money by reducing energy costs and help protect the environment.
84. Committed to offering products and services worldwide that help customers save money, conserve energy and improve the quality of environment. 85. Needs to eliminate e-waste and initialize some more recycling initiatives such as voluntary take-back program like the one NOKIA has in place.HEWLETT PACKARD
- Global manufacturer and retailer of naturally inspired, ethically produced beauty and cosmetics products.
87. First international cosmetic brand to be awarded the Humane Cosmetics Standard for their Against Animal Testing Policy. 88. Has their own fair trade program called Community Trade, making it the only cosmetics company with such a far-reaching commitment to trading fairly.THE BODY SHOP
- Launched aggressive program, push 60,000 suppliers to produce goods that dont harm the environment,& to urge consumers to buy green
90. To encourage sustainability of the worlds fisheries, forests and farmlands, by slashing energy use and reduce waste. 91. Claims they will reduce solid waste from U.S stores by 25% within 3 years. 92. Cut energy use at its more than 7,000 stores worldwide by 30% and cut greenhouse gas emissions at existing stores by 20% inseven years.WAL-MART
- Believe it can earn lot of credits by saving energy, and it can sell them for millions of dollars to companies that cannot, and all of those savings will go into keeping the low pr