girls issues teaching guide -- universal
Post on 04-Jun-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONFor a project we're doing with GirlUp, teaching guide for everyone but powerpoint contains visuals to help represent a point, so the materials itself either must be obtained or
- 1. What is a Global Issue?
Any problem that crosses national boundaries and requires the cooperation of the international community
3. What factors affect population growth?
4. Women do not have thefreedom to choose how many children they can have.
The government does not provide reliable medical care for newborn infants
5. Children take care of their parents when they grow old
No social security
6. What limits childbirth?
7. Give faith that their children will survive
And they will have less children
8. What other issues affect girls around the world?
1/5 of the worlds population lives on less than a $1 a day
Countries like: Ethiopia, Liberia, Uganda, Somalia dont have a stable government or reliable source of income
9. 10. EDUCATION
600 million girlsA large portion of population
They are key to breaking the cycle of poverty: if you education a girl, 90% of what she earns goes back into her family---her kids get a better education, they get better health care, shell marry later, have fewer kids, have a better opportunity to earn money which benefits the entire community.
11. What is GirlUp doing to help stop the cycle?
Implements programs to help educate girls and rewards families who stick with the programs
Delaying Marriage and reinforcing Marriage Laws
Community centers for the girls to meet with friends and study
Rewards girls who stay in school by giving them a goat
Building schools & raising funds for supplies and uniforms
Locates missing girls
With a mentorship door-to-door search program. Mentors go looking for girls in the city living by themselves with low-paying jobs
12. What do you want the world to look like when you are 50?