Get the Buzz: Global Trends in Sustainable Coffee Production
out of 17
Post on 21-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONNew Worldwatch Institute analysis examines global trends in coffee production, practices, and prices
- Get the Buzz: GlobalTrends in Sustainable Coffee Production
- Global coffee production has doubled since 1961 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 1961/62 1971/72 1981/82 1991/92 2001/02 2011/12 MillionTons FAO Data USDA Data Worldwatch Institute Sources: FAOSTAT; USDA-FAS
- The majority of coffee production more than 3 tons for every 4 tons is exported, flowing from developing countries principally to industrial ones
- Top 3 Coffee Producers & Consumers, 2013-2014 Top Producer Top Consumer Top Producer & Consumer
- Top 3 Coffee Producers, 2013-2014 BRAZIL 3.2 million tons VIETNAM 1.7 million tons COLOMBIA 0.7 million tons
- Top 3 Coffee Consumers, 2013-2014 EUROPEAN UNION 2.7 million tons UNITED STATES 1.5 million tons BRAZIL 1.2 million tons
- Asias share in world coffee production has risen astonishingly, from less than 5% in 1961 to 30% today 1961 2014
- Coffee experiences tremendous price volatility due to Overproduction Production shortfalls Mismatches between coffee-growing cycles and demand Bad weather Fungal pests Speculation Financialization $ $
- 0 50 100 150 200 250 300 350 400 CentsperPound Coffee Prices, 1960-2014 Brazilian Arabicas Robustas Note: All prices are ex-dock United States; monthly averagesWorldwatch Institute Sources: UNCTADSTAT
- Because some countries depend on commodities like coffee for the bulk of their earnings, extreme price fluctuations destabilize their economies $$$$
- Social & environmental concerns are far-ranging workers' rights and child labor the use of agrochemicals deforestation impacts on biodiversity ?
- Fair trade guarantees a minimum price for smallholders Organic replaces inorganic fertilizers & pesticides with organic ones Utz Certified incorporates social & environmental criteria Rainforest Alliance includes integrated pest management & worker welfare Initiatives to define & implement more sustainable practices include:
- In 2009, ~8% of worldwide coffee exports was certified as sustainable Certified coffee is growing rapidly, however, and could reach 2025% of global coffee trade by 2015
- For more information, visit our Coffee ProductionVital Sign: bit.ly/VSOcoffee
- AboutVital Signs Online: Vital Signs Online is produced by the Worldwatch Institute and provides business leaders, policymakers, and engaged citizens with the latest data and analysis they need to understand critical global trends. vitalsigns.worldwatch.org
- About theWorldwatch Institute: Through research and outreach that inspire action, theWorldwatch Institute works to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world that meets human needs. www.worldwatch.org
- www.worldwatch.org bit.ly/VSOcoffee vitalsigns.worldwatch.org
View more >
Global and Regional Trends in Production, Trade and ... ?· Global and Regional Trends in Production,…
SHADE IN COFFEE THE SUSTAINABLE APPROACH TO COFFEE PRODUCTION Coffee Industry Board Advisory Service Department Advisory Service Manager: Louis Campbell.
How to get a piece of the buzz cake. Communication Trends Timing Backfire How to get a piece of the buzz cake.
Impacts of Business Strategies on Coffee Production and ... ??This study analyzes the impacts of business strategies on coffee production and the ... making global coffee ... coffee production and the environment.
Global Iced/RTD Coffee Report 2014 - Comprehensive Analysis of Trends in the Global Iced/RTD Coffee Market Including Long-term Forecasts