Geoffrey Chaucer (1343- 1400). I.Brief Introduction 1.His Life father of English poetry Wine merchant’s family, rub elbows with people from different.
Post on 21-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Geoffrey Chaucer (1343- 1400)
- Slide 2
- I.Brief Introduction 1.His Life father of English poetry Wine merchants family, rub elbows with people from different walks of life 2. His works / writing periods of career French period (1360s 1372) Italian period (13721385) English period (13871400)
- Slide 3
- II. The Canterbury Tales II. The Canterbury Tales 1.The plan of the book 29/30 pilgrims in Tabard Inn in spring, but only 24 tales finished 2.General Prologue (5) 3.general framework a group of vivid sketches of medieval figures from different walks of life 4.Characters (depicted with satire and humor)
- Slide 4
- III. Read the text: General Prologue 1.beginning narrative of the knight briefly 2.General Comment. panorama of his contemporary society true-to-life characters samples of different types of literature 3.Artistic features heroic couplet musical, elegant, satirical and humorous
- Slide 5
- IV. His contributions 1.Introduction into English the rhymed stanzas of different forms: 1) heroic couplets 2)rhymed royal 3)terza rima 2. Dialect of London made the foundation for modern English language
- Slide 6
- V. Read the Middle English Version of the Canterbury Tales pay attention to the Great Vowel Shift and other systematic change of the language
View more >
Background Introduction. Geoffrey Chaucer c. 1343-1400 Considered the father of English poetry Wrote in the vernacular – common language of the people.
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343 – 1400) About his early life John Chaucer: his father a merchant a merchant Philippa Roet: his wife.
Geoffrey Chaucer c. 1343-1400 Considered the father of English poetry Wrote in the vernacular – common language of the people (English) Served as a soldier,
Geoffrey Chaucer and The Canterbury Tales. Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400) Diplomat, soldier, scholar. Modern English poetry begins with him. He had a keen.
Geoffrey Chaucer c. 1343-1400 - Tracy Unified School District Chaucer •Often called the “father of English poetry” –During Chaucer’s time, language of literature, science, diplomacy, and religion ...
Geoffrey Chaucer Geoffrey Chaucer (c.1340 ～ 1400), the most prominent literary figure in Middle English period is “ the father of English poetry ”. 2015-6-281.
Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400) Connor Rudge. Early Life Born in 1343 to John Chaucer and Agnes Copton First Chaucer Life Record (of 500+ known) was household.
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. Geoffrey Chaucer 1343? – 1400 Middle-class family Royal page, soldier, diplomat, royal clerk Varied experiences.
Historical Context and Background Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400) Life and Accomplishments Son of a vintner (wine merchant) page soldier diplomat.
GEOFFREY CHAUCER - FATHER OF ENGLISH LITERATURE Chaucer wrote in Middle English, best known for his “Canterbury Tales” Facts and Opinions: born in c.1343,
CANTERBURY TALES ENG 273: World Literature. History Written by Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400) “Father of English Literature” Written in Middle English Established.
The Canterbury Tales & Geoffrey Chaucer. Geoffrey Chaucer Often called “Father of English Poetry” Composed poetry in the vernacular (everyday language);