GELS Think Do Workshop 2011
Post on 10-Dec-2014
DESCRIPTIONThis is my workshop on Group Learning for GELS 2011
- 1. Group Learning
2. Think of a group that you are (or were) part of that learned really well . . . what made it function so well?
3. Marshmallow challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0_yKBitO8M
4. Training group members to function as such prior to group engagement can improve interactions and increase productivity.
5. The Race
400-600 miles, non-stop Primal Quest Adventure Race
Multi-disciplinary, expert teams
Unknown terrain, multiple routes
Challenges: mental and physical exhaustion, navigational errors, injury
75-95 teams each year
55% of teams do not finish
Avg age=37, Avgexp=5.5 yrs
6. Map of Race
2004 Race Overview
7. How do claims of knowing vary across teams?
8. 9. we
10. Conflict is normal, inherent, and essential to community practice and organisational learning.
11. Which one holds more stuff?
12. When a group is working well, we learn to listen to and respect diverse points of view, to share and exchange knowledge, and to clarify, modify, and extend our own thinking.
13. IDEO shopping cart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M66ZU2PCIcM
14. Leadership can be and at its best, often is a shared activity. Anyone and everyone who clarifies a teams direction, improves its strategy, secures organizational support for it, or provides coaching that improves its performance is providing leadership.
Professor Richard Hackman
15. How can leaders support group learning?Designing cultures that allows these dynamics to exist generatively
16. 80% of professional knowledge is built informally.