from a castle to a castle
Post on 23-Jul-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONTourism programme about beauties of northern Croatia
korice_eng.pdf 2 18.3.2010 21:44:52
Tourist Board of the City of Varadin
Tourist Information Centrewww.tourism-varazdin.hr
tel./fax +385 (0)42 210987,
HR-42 000 Varadin, I. Padovca 3
The project is supported by Ministry
of Tourism of Republic Croatia and
National Tourism Board.
Publisher: Tourist Board of the City of Varadin, Tourist Board of Trakoan Municipality of BednjaFor the publisher: Branka Tropp, Alen SajkoPhotography: Mario Novak, Miljenko Hegedi (Old Burgh)Texts by: Volga Vukelja Dawe, Marija GrahTranslation and language editting: Volga Vukelja DaweGraphic design: Tanja BunjevacTisak: Zrinski d.d. akovec
The gateways to a dream
Castles are the gateways to a dream. It may be a dream woven into
history, but a dream nevertheless. Walking through their corridors and
halls filled with finery and riches, peeking into the darkest of hidden
dungeons and secret passages, it is so easy to be carried away on a
cloud of imagination to the world of damsels in distress and knights in
shining armour. And it takes but little effort to hear the clash of swords
and the sounds of trumpets, but also the sweet song of the lutes,
and and then tour is over and we are again on our way to the gateway,
only this time it takes us into reality.
For that is what exists in between castles reality. People living their
everyday lives: working, building, loving, hoping and yes, from time to
time, dreaming. And that is the journey we would like to take you for.
A bit of this and a bit of that. And a lot of good time.
part of the historical core of the city of
Varadin lies one of its best know picture postcards the Old Burgh. On the outside it
is an unconquerable medieval fortification, but inside it is an aristocratic palace of the
Renaissance style. The Old Burgh underwent continual expansion between the 13th and the
19th century. In the 16th century the owners, the Ungnadi family, brought in Domenico de
Lalia, an Italian Renaissance builder who carried out restructuring works that turned the
Old Burgh into a Waserburg. The entire castle was surrounded by defensive walls, and the
motes bellow them were filled with waters brought in from the nearby River Drava. In the
following centuries the Old Burgh had become an unconquerable bastion of the Kingdom
of Croatia. Protecting its inner sanctum with motes, bulwarks, guns and troops, the
Old Burgh also ensure prosperity as for its owners, so for the city of Varadin. Of all the
numerous owners the Burgh belonged to through the centuries, the Counts of Erddy had
the longest tenure, and since they were the heritable governors of the Varadin County in
1763 their family coat of arms was approved by the Empress Maria Theresa as the official
The Old Burgh of Varadin
of the County.
It has remained so
to this day. In 1923 the City
of Varadin bought the Burgh and
by 1925 several of its rooms were already housing a
permanent exhibition. Today the Old Burgh houses the City Museum, a must for every
visitor to this charming city. Initially the museum holdings comprised mostly the
objects donated by the prominent families and individuals of Varadin. With the
passage of time the museum collections grew both in size and variety, and now this is an
institution which consists of six specialized departments: Archaeology, History, Cultural
history, Ethnography, Entomology and the Gallery of Old and Modern Masters. Having
been turned to a lush promenade the medieval bulwarks and motes are now serving
a much more pleasant occupation for the citizens of Varadin and their guests, but have
still retained their protective role nowadays protecting from the ever more intruding
traffic and hubbub of daily life.
Tradition of goat farming
in the Moravec family goes
back some twenty years.
For two generations now
they have been tending
100 white goats of the
Saanen breed. With time the
range of goat milk products at
the OPG Moravec (OPG - Family
Agricultural Homestead) has extended and
now, in addition to milk, includes cheeses:
semi-hard, smoked, with herbs, spreads
with and without spices, feta cheese, curd cheese and yoghurt.
Numerous awards and acknowledgements they have received are the
result of a systematic investment into knowledge, technological
advancement, production capacities and love for the work
they are doing. The Quality Champion for the entire
range of products award wan by the OPG Moravec
at three national competitions speaks loudly
of their quality and success. At this point in
time project documentation is being produced
for the tasting room and the packing facility
within the homestead, where one will be able
to see the entire production process from the
she-goat to the finished product. The works are
expected to start in the course of 2010.
Bearing in mind that goat milk consists of particles
which are three time smaller than the cow milk, which
makes it much easier to digest, that it is also the most similar
to human milk, it is with justification that both the milk and its products
are called the fountain of health.
M a n o r ) ,
one of the
in Croatia, is named
after the manor which Count
Marko Bombelles, a descendant
of the old French nobility, built himself in
Petrijanec near Varadin. His carefully thought out introduction of numerous
new species - from Asia he imported numerous types of pheasant,
from those of purely decorative nature to the game-type birds,
from America came the Virginia quail - he ensured that
the area retained its position as one of the finest and
best stocked hunting grounds in Croatia.
To this day Zelendvor has remained one of the
best hunting grounds in Croatia. In the centre
of the place is a hunting lodge which provides
accommodation, and close to it a restaurant
where one can savour a variety of hunting
and national specialties and delicacies.
Needles to say the gastronomic emphasis
is on meat of the game reared in natural
environment and grazing on the indigenous
plants. The neighbouring rural households
secure a stable supply of freshly grown vegetables,
fruit and home produced cheeses. It is also good to know
that the operations are conducted in accordance with the
HACCAP system. Located nearby are small exhibition pavilions,
and in the immediate vicinity is an educational hunting trail.
The Green Manor
is one of
the largest and most
magnificent castles in Croatia.
This zero category monument is located on a prominent
hill on the southern slopes of Ravna gora. The first mention of the name of Klenovnik
dates from 1244, and through the centuries it has changed quite a few hands.
According to the oldest inscription, located in the castles inner court yard part of which
reveals the owners desire to built a home for all time: Let this home stand until the ant
drinks up the sea and the turtle walks around the world - this early baroque, four-winged
two-floor building with 90 rooms and 365 windows was started in 1616 by Count Ivan II
Drakovi. Another inscription from 1667 tells us that that it was completed in that year
by Ivan IV Drakovi. Klenovnik had its heyday during the tenure of Ivan III Drakovi as
the Croatian Viceroy (1640 1646). He was determined to make the seat of his family and
of the national political power as magnificent and as spacious as possible, and that he was
successful in his effort is proven by the fact that sessions of the Croatian Sabor were held in
one of its large halls. Klenovnik had remained in the possession of the Drakovi family for
a long time, and it was only in 1850 that Juraj VI Drakovi sold it in order to secure funds
for the expensive reconstruction of Trakoan.
castle was resold
a number of times when it was
bought by Count Josip Bombelles the last nobleman
to own it. In 1925 he sold it to the Central Office for the insurance of workers.
The Central Office carried out extensive works which involved restructuring and building
of two extensions to the north-eastern and south-western wings, each 32m long and
10,5 m wide, as well as numerous auxiliary facilities: large kicthen in the cellars and
a large dining hall in the basement. In 1927 the Sanatorium opened its doors, and the
function of the castle has remained the same to this day it is now known as the Klenovnik
Hospital for lungs diseases and TBC. Thus has the once most prestigious of all the castels
in the north-western Croatia, and a cultural monument of zero category, been turned
into a hospital, which makes this magnificent edifice out of bounds for any viewing.
But in 1963 the parks around the castle was declared a monument of park architecture,
so take stroll through it to get the fell of times g