evaluation – question 2
Embed Size (px)
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
EVALUATION – QUESTION 2
• Production Companies are companies which partake in the in the production and how films are distributed. The companies are not necessarily large successful institutions, but can in fact be independent. However if seeking proper funding the larger institutions are generally more favourable.
• One of the major film Studios, the company has several subsidiary companies. The company introduced the first genuine talking film. Franchises of Warner Bros. include Looney Tunes,
Batman, Superman and the Harry Potter Series.
WALT DISNEY PICTURES
• Easily the most popular institution in the world. Acknowledged for its creation of Mickey Mouse and other famous cartoon
characters. Walt Disney has diverse holdings in a number of areas including movie and television studios, broadcast and
cable television stations, interactive media production, travel, consumer products and theme parks. Popular Movies include
Toy Story, The Sorcerers Apprentice and Pirates of the Caribbean.
• Was responsible for one of the most notable thriller films to this day – Psycho. This aside Universal Studios is the largest movie studio in the world, it is also one of the oldest. Has theme parks built around world including locations such as Dubai, Japan and Hollywood. Generates millions for the movie industry. Produced
the American Pie and Bourne series.
WORKING TITLE FILMS
• Working Title Films is an independent British Film company. It was recently founded Tim Bevan and Sarah Radclyffe in the late 1980’s. In 2004 the company made £17.8 million profit. Since 2007 Universal has owned 67% of the companies stakes. The majority of there more recent films have been co-produced with Studio Canal. The company was behind ‘Four Weddings and a funeral’ which generated $244 million dollars worldwide.
Small Institutions :
• Another English based film company. Regularly produces feature films and documentaries. Most accountably known for there involvement in ‘The Kings Speech’ which is arguably one of Britain’s most successful films.
Small Institutions :
LARGE FILM PRODUCTION
• The companies have huge budgets which allows them to buy shares in high vale films and promising smaller films.
• The budget allows for a wide use of marketing this increases the profit the production company makes and the amount the film generates.
• Relies heavily on distribution with the means DVD’s, BluRay and varied methods of merchandise.
SMALL FILM PRODUCTION
• The small independent film companies have significantly lower budgets due to big production companies not having shares. Without this backing less recognisable films can be made due to a minor budget.
• Due to their smaller budgets the companies are less likely to distribute their items on new media products eg. BluRay.
• Also the smaller audiences mean that less money is brought in which keeps the companies small.
• Realistically I would prefer my film to be distributed by a large company. Although I respect the work of smaller companies I
feel that to suitably produce my film a larger company would be a wiser choice. The budget of the film would have to be large enough to produce specific techniques to my film. Without this
my film wouldn’t live up to the expectations it could achieve with guaranteed backing.
• My choice would have to be Universal Studios.
• They provided the most successful thriller director Alfred Hitchcock the means to succeed brilliantly.
• The budget is literally limitless, and would further gross huge profit.
• Disney was an option but I feel they produce rather youthful films in oppose to a hard hitting thriller film.
BY CHARLES COOK