European Furniture & Decorative Arts featuring Silver | Skinner Auction 2566B
Post on 02-Mar-2015
DESCRIPTIONThe Boston auction on October 14 & 15, 2011 of European Furniture & Decorative Arts features Fine Silver along with the best in British, French, German, Italian, Dutch and Russian works of art. Our auctions include a broad array of Continental and British ceramics, silver, glass, statuary, clocks, paintings and prints, lighting, rugs, textiles and antique furniture. Boston auctions are held four times annually in January, April, July and October. For information on buying or consigning property to our next auction, call 508-970-3203 or email European@Skinnerinc.com.
SKINNEREuropean Furniture & Decorative Artsfeaturing Fine SilverSale 2566B October 14 & 15, 2011 Boston
European Furniture & Decorative Artsfeaturing Fine Silverspecialists in charge
Stuart Slavid Department Director 508.970.3278
Sara Wishart Department Director, Fine Silver 508.970.3282
Leah Skowron 508.970.3289
European Furniture & Decorative Arts Department - 508.970.3203 General Inquiries: email@example.com
auction 2566B Session I - Fine Silver - Friday, October 14, 2011 at 4 p.m. Session II - Saturday, October 15, 2011 at 10 a.m. 63 Park Plaza Boston, Massachusetts previewThursday, October 13, 2011 Friday, October 14, 2011 12 to 8 p.m. 12 to 8 p.m.*
*Fine Silver preview ends at 4 p.m.
absentee biddingTel: 617.874.4318 Fax: 617.350.5429 Online: www.skinnerinc.comTelephone bid requests must be received 24 hours prior to the sale
general inquiries617.350.5400View all lots online at www.skinnerinc.com
cover : 243a, 260, 889, 1052, 1123, 1124 ; frontispiece : 3 ; back cover : 194
Register Preview and Bid Live Online
Preview Auctions OnlineFlip through the pages of our interactive virtual catalogues, or view all lots in an upcoming auction to browse through images and detailed lot information. You can also download and print a PDF file of a catalogue.
Bid Live Online with SkinnerLive!Get the live auction experience from your home or office with SkinnerLive! Register in advance for an auction to bid online in real time.
Find Items with Lot AlertFind out immediately when items you like are available at auction. Lot Alert searches upcoming Skinner auctions for items matching your interests, and automatically emails you when an item is posted in the online catalogue.
Read the Skinner BlogKeep up on market trends with tips from our expert appraisers. Discover the stories behind the art and antiques Skinner offers at auction, and add your own comments to join the conversation.
Track Lots and Leave Absentee BidsWhile previewing any auction online, you can ask specialists questions with a lot inquiry, keep a list of items that interest you with Track Lots, or place secure and confidential online absentee bids.
Get Email Updates on Auctions and EventsSubscribe to the Skinner email list to receive monthly auction schedules, invitations to events, and notification when auction previews and catalogues are posted to the website. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
table of contents1 2 4 5 81 206 207 208 209 211 212 213 215 Auction & Specialist Information Web Site & Online Bidding Glossary of Terms Session I - Fine Silver - Lots 1-500 Session II - Lots 501-1300 Conditions of Sale Absentee Bid Form Company Directors & Specialty Departments Administrative Staff & Client Services Map & Driving Directions Parking & Accommodations Dining Catalogue Subscription Form
Please Note: All lots sold subject to our Conditions of Sale. Please refer to page 206 of this catalogue for the full terms and conditions governing your purchase.
Copyright Skinner, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved MA/Lic. #2304
Glossary of Terms
All items in this catalogue are described according to the following table of terminology. Please note that all statements in this catalogue as to Authorship, Period, and Origin, are qualified statements subject to the Conditions of Sale.
Authorship will be described in the following ways: John Joseph Enneking. - In our judgment, the work is by the artist. Attributed to John Joseph Enneking. - In our judgment, the work may be ascribed to the artist on the basis of style, but leaves some question as to actual authorship. School of John Joseph Enneking. - In our judgment, a work of an unknown follower executed in the style of the artist and contemporary in period. Manner of John Joseph Enneking. - In our judgment, a work executed in the style of the artist by an unknown hand and probably from a later period. After John Joseph Enneking. - In our judgment, an intended copy of the work of the artist. American School, 19th Century. - In our judgment, the work of an unknown hand that can only be identified as to period and culture.
Other terms: Bears Signature. - In our judgment, the signature not of the artist. This term is generally used separately, or together with a description of the work as attributed to, school of, manner of, or after the artist.
Proudly printed by
5 Almeida Avenue, East Providence, R.I., USA Toll Free: 866-229-7752
Session I - Fine Silver - Lots 1-500 - to be sold October 14th, 2011 Objets de vertu1. French Renaissance Revival Gold-washed .800 Silver-mounted Agate Bowl, late 19th century, the banded agate body with two loop handles ending in openwork leaves and beading, on pierced and beaded leaftip foot, ht. 4, wd. to handles 5 7/8 in. $400-600 2. Miniature French .800 Silver-mounted Agate Compote, late 19th century, the turned bowl set with silver inner rim milled with navette pattern, and outer rim and low foot milled with wave pattern, ht. 1 1/2, dia. 3 5/8 in. $200-400
3. Fine Yellow Gold, Cloisonn Enamel, and Stone-mounted Carved Rock Crystal Bowl, the bowl Mughal, c. 18th century, the rim carved with leaftip pendants, with short acanthus scroll handles, underside carved with a chrysanthemum, mounted on a yellow gold foot made by Robert Phillips, London, 1867, with white enamel beaded rim, over band of applied bullet-shaped carved banded agates, over band of green enamel leaves, and small pink navette-shaped stones over small pink enamel wings, engraved to underside of foot Robert Phillips, fecit London 1867, bowl wd. to handles 7 3/4, foot dia. 5 in. Note: This bowl, created in the archeological style, reflects the mid19th century fascination with Greek and Roman antiquity. Robert Phillips had a shop on Cockspur Street in London, and is known for his fine jeweled gold mountings on Mughal crystal bowls, and his archaeological-inspired jewelry. Phillips is known to have visited Rome in the 1850s on a study trip, where he viewed period Roman works of glass, gold, and lapidary, including the collection of antiquities owned by the Italian firm Castellani. Phillips exhibited at the 1867 Paris Exposition Universelle, and it is quite possible that this bowl was exhibited there. Two similar examples by Phillips are held in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum. $8,000-10,000
3A. French Ivory-cased and Silver-gilt Necessaire with Associated 14kt Gold Thimble, second quarter 19th century, plain ivory case fitted with silver gilt scissors, pointed tool, and etui; together with a late 19th century American ivy-engraved and monogrammed 14kt yellow gold thimble, ht. 7/8, approx. 3.0 dwt, case 3 5/8 x 2 in. $300-500 4. Fine French Bicolor Gold and Diamond-mounted Snuff Box, c. 1840, the yellow and rose gold rectangular box mounted to lid with a roundel containing a copy of a photograph of either Nasser al-Din Shah Qajar (1831-1896) or his successor, Mozaffar al-Din Shah Qajar (1853-1907), in frame of twenty-six irregular rose-cut prong-set diamonds, on ground of rocaille scrolls and flowerheads, accented with six further rose-cut diamonds in crimped collet mounts, sides and base of box with engine-turning, further scrolls and flowerheads, front of lid with a central lion mask, 3 1/2 x 2 5/8 x 1 1/4 in. Provenance: A Rhode Island estate. Presented to Richmond Pearson (1852-1923), who was elected U.S. Minister to Persia by President Theodore Roosevelt, and held this post from 1902-07. $8,000-12,000 5. Enamel and Amethyst-mounted Hat Pin, Europe or Russia, late 19th century, long gold-washed stem with tapered ovoid finial with pale green basse taille enamel, ending in a sugarloaf amethyst, finial lg. 1 5/8 in. $200-300 6. German Gold-washed Silver and Ivory-mounted Figure of a Man Harvesting Grapes, Hanau, late 19th century, the figure wearing a rucksack containing a fruiting grapevine, with smaller vine in one hand, and walking stick in the other, mounted with carved ivory face, hands, and legs, mounted to domed naturalistic base set with small frog, beetle, and lobster, ht. approx. 7 1/2, approx. 8.4 troy oz. $200-400 6A. Continental Enameled .900 Silver and Bone Musician-form Whimsy Box, late 19th century, depicting a figure standing atop a stool playing a large upright bass, with hinged base and flattened ball feet, enameled in tones of blue and white, ht. 4 3/4 in., approx. 5.5 troy oz. $200-400 7. American 14kt Yellow Gold-mounted and Colorless Glass Perfume Bottle, early 20th century, the stopper applied with a gold monogrammed tapered ovoid terminal, with glass bottle cut and etched with shells, flowerheads, and quatrefoils, ht. 4 5/8 in. $200-300
12 23 10
8. 14kt Yellow Gold Trophy Cup, B.D. Howes and Son, c. 1973, the trumpet shaped bowl with reeding to base, on reeded knop and trumpet base, engraved as a trophy for the Hollywood Derby at Hollywood Park, ht. 7 in., approx. 166.5 dwt, 8.5 troy oz. Note: Inscription is for the $150,000 One Mile and One Half winner, Amen 2nd, a three year old owned by Dee-Bob Stable, Trainer P.G. Johnson, and Jockey Eddie Belmonte, won July 15, 1973. The Hollywood Derby is a Grade I American Thoroughbred horse race held at Hollywood Park Racetrack in Inglewood, California. Currently run at 1 1/4 miles, the Hollywood Derby has been contested at various distances, with the 1 1/2 mile running c. 1973-75. $6,000-8,000 9. Cartier Santos de Cartier Travel Clock, modern, with two-tone case accented with black lacquer, easel support, Swiss quartz movement, in fitted Carter Le Must gold-tooled red morocco case, ht. 3 1/2 in. $200-400
11. German Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, possibly Zwickau, 18th century, makers mark AJ, the lid formed as conical turret pierced with stylized foliates and with arched gallery, ending in a single pennant, the rectangular body with filigree to all sides and single arched door, upper corners with four small pennants, lower corners suspending four small bells, on single-knopped stem, and slightly domed foot, ht. 8 3/4 in., approx. 4.15 troy oz. $800-1,200 12. Continental Silver Besamim Box Spice Container, likely Eastern Europe, early 19th century, with filigree ovoid body topped by a single pennant, on openwork base formed as three stylized snakes, accented with a filigree orb, and mounted on a ring-form base, ht. 6 in., approx. 3.6 troy oz. $800-1,200 13. Continental Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, Poland/Austro-Hungary, mid-19th century, conical turret topped by a pennant milled with scrolls, with octagonal body engraved with chevrons, on flaring stem centered by a demilune knop, tiered, domed foot, ht. 8 1/2 in., approx. 2.7 troy oz. $800-1,200 13A. Continental Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, possibly Austro-Hungary, mid-19th century, with cylindrical filigree body, lid formed as a turret with single pennant, on cylindrical stem applied with a thin engraved band, on tiered, domed foot, ht. 8 7/8 in., approx. 3 troy oz. $800-1,200
Judaic Silver10. German Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, Berlin, 18th century, maker likely Muller, turret with small pennant, over tiered cylindrical lid and body, both pierced with arches and leaftip, lid enclosing a single bell, base of body chased and embossed with leaftip, on trumpet foot, ht. 9 1/2 in., approx. 5.4 troy oz. $1,500-2,000
online bidding at www.skinnerinc.com
14. Continental Silver Filigree Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, possibly Berlin, mid-19th century, unmarked, filigree to turret and rectangular body, topped by a pennant, body with single small door and four smaller pennants, on four twisted wirework legs joined by filigree roundels, and on rectangular filigree plinth base, ht. 8 1/2 in., approx. 4.2 troy oz. $1,000-1,500 15. German Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, Berlin, mid-19th century, the lid formed as turret topped by a pennant, the cylindrical filigree body with gadrooned rims, cylindrical stem, and gadrooned base, ht. 7 3/8 in., approx. 2.7 troy oz. $500-700 16. Austro-Hungarian .800 Silver Tower-form Spice Container, mid-19th century, makers mark FB, large pennant over slender finial, the square body pierced and engraved with boteh scrolls, and fitted with a single door, four small pennants, and four small bells, on flared stem with single knop, and spreading trumpet foot, ht. 8 5/8 in., approx. 3 troy oz. $300-500 16A. Two Silver Ceremonial Tableware Items, a Dutch .833 silver cup, 1848, urn-form bowl with lobing to base, and engraved with Hebrew inscription, on low spreading foot, ht. 3, and an unmarked Havdalah caster, possibly Middle-Eastern, heavily chased and embossed with boteh and foliate scrolls, ht. 3 5/8 in., approx. 5 troy oz. total. $400-600
17. German Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, Berlin, mid-19th century, Eifort, maker, the lid formed as a turret milled with leaves and patera roundels, with single pennant, the cylindrical body with filigree panels and stamped foliate bands, on cylindrical stem, and leaftip-stamped domed foot, ht. 10 1/4 in., approx. 3.6 troy oz. $1,000-1,500 18. German Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, Berlin, mid-19th century, Eifort, maker, with slender turret milled with acanthus and patera roundels, with single pennant, cylindrical filigree body with small door, on tapering cylindrical stem, and domed foot, ht. 9 3/4 in., approx. 3.4 troy oz. $800-1,200 19. Austro-Hungarian .800 Silver Filigree Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, mid-19th century, tower-form filigree body topped by a pennant, raised on cluster of four wire legs joined by a foliate knop, and flaring out to square base accented with filigree demilunes, on small domed feet, ht. 7 1/4 in., approx. 2.4 troy oz. $700-900 19A. Continental Silver Tower-form Besamin Box Spice Container, likely Germany, mid-19th century, turret topped by a large pennant with lightly stippled monogram, with rectangular body with filigree panels to all four sides, and with smaller pennants at upper corners, on cylindrical stem and domed foot, ht. 8 in., approx. 2.2 troy oz. $500-700
additional information and photos at www.skinnerinc.com
23A 16 21
20. German Silver Tower-form Besamim Box Spice Container, possibly Hanau, mid-to-late 19th century, the pierced turret topped by a pennant, over cylindrical body chased and embossed with fruit and leaves, with small door, on tapered cylindrical stem and small round foot with C-scroll decoration, ht. 8 3/8 in., approx. 2.8 troy oz. $800-1,200
21. German Silver Besamim Box Spice Container, 19th century, indistinct makers mark, the lid formed as a turret topped by a ball finial, on cylindrical filigree body with bead-embossed borders, on cylindrical stem, and domed foot stamped with beaded lappets,...