engaging students in entrepreneurship
Post on 22-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis session will provide a different approach to teaching the Entrepreneurship class by incorporating lessons in business planning, literacy, and project-based learning. This approach resulted in students at East Davidson High School Academy of Finance obtaining 100% proficiency on state tests.
- 1. Engaging Students in Entrepreneurship Learning Seminar II Kim Cline, Director, East Davidson High School AOF Abby Barber, Rachel Gibbs, Ryan Scarlette and Emily Shuler, Students, East Davidson High School AOF
- 2. Entrepreneurship
- 3. 2011 East Davidson High School Academy of Finance Graduates
- 4. Successes in our Entrepreneurship Class
- The class is independent study with a facilitator to answer specific questions and guide students.
- This class setting prepares students for college atmosphere.
- Students take responsibility in their learning experience which is life long learning.
- 100% proficiency on state exam
- 100% success rate in placing students in internships due to their communication and team building skills.
- 100% graduation rate
- 5. Student Presenters Emily Shuler Ryan Scarlette Abby Barber Rachel Gibbs
- 6. Business Plan In an interview, Joyce talked about their naive leap into business. Neither of us baked. We were 27, we didnt have a business plan, we knew nothing about it and ignored the three rules of business: Dont do it with a best friend. Dont go into it without a business plan. Dont do something you know nothing about. -The Cupcake Girls of Vancouver
- Young entrepreneur wants to open a photography studio.
- What would be the first steps in this process?
- What would be the financial needs of this entrepreneur?
- What would be the legal aspects of opening the business?
- 9. In 15 Minutes
- 10. Business Plan (Handout)
- Discuss within your group what supplies you will need, necessary legal forms, and a start-up budget.
- Use chart paper and markers to answer each specific category.
- 11. Business Plan
- Discuss your findings
- Evaluate portfolio and report your findings.
- 12. Questions & Answers
- Final thoughts
- Questions and answers