elements of persuasion and mla formatting
Post on 28-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. ELEMENTS OF PERSUASION
2. What does it mean to persuade?
- To convince a person or group that ones belief is correct
- Also, to convince others toact uponthat belief.
3. How can people be persuaded?
- Through the use of:
Aristotle(384 BC-322 BC) [Rhetoric is] the ability, in each particular case, to see the available means of persuasion. - Aristotle 4. Credibility
- Smoking can cause serious heart problems, explained Dr. Smith, one of the leading cardiologists for the Ohio Medical Board.
- Uses a persons reputation to sway an audience
My whole family smokes, and nobody ever had a heart attack, said your neighbor, Ted. 5. Emotion
- Appeals to the audiences feelings to persuade them.
- Uses facts, statistics, studies, and historical examples to persuade.
7. What method would you use to persuade in each situation?
- You want someone to stop smoking.
- You want people to stop texting and driving.
- You want cell phones to be allowed in school.
- There should never be homework.
8. Learn your audience.
- Adhere to their:
- Be reasonable; dont talk down to them
- Set your own emotions aside
9. FORMAT Page Setup FORMAT Page Setup MLA MLA 10. Your entire paper should:
- Use Times New Roman, 12 pt
- Be double-spaced
- No extra spaces between paragraphs
- Have 1-inch margins on all sides
- Indent paragraphs (use the Tab key)
11. Your first page should:
- Include four items in the upper left corner(these should be double-spaced as well):
- Your name
- Your instructors name
- The course title
- The due date
- Have a centered title in 12 pt Times New Roman
- No need forbold ,underline , oritalics
12. 12 pt. Times New Roman Indented paragraphs Double-spaced throughout 13. How to double-space:
- Word 2007 and earlier:
- Click the Format menu
- Click Paragraph
- In the section labeled Spacing, click the drop-down menu and choose Double.
14. Whats wrong with this formatting? Not Times New Roman Single-spaced information Bolded Title 15. Whats wrong with this formatting? Larger bold title Unnecessary Name Margins wider than 1