election did god choose you or did you choose god?
Embed Size (px)
ELECTIONELECTIONDid God choose you OR Did God choose you OR
did you choose God?did you choose God?
DEFINITION OF TERMSDEFINITION OF TERMS
ELECTIONELECTION literally means “selection” or “chosen.” Election is therefore the sovereign act of God whereby He selected some persons to be the recipients of His salvation. Election emphasizes God’s free choice of individuals to salvation.
PREDESTINATIONPREDESTINATION means “to mark off beforehand.” It is to preplan a destiny. It refers to God’s foreordination of individuals to a particular fate.
CALLINGCALLING literally means “an invitation.” It is the act of God by which persons are invited to accept salvation by faith.
TWO MAJOR VIEWS ON TWO MAJOR VIEWS ON ELECTIONELECTION
FORESIGHT ELECTIONFORESIGHT ELECTION:: This view states that God selected persons for salvation on the basis that he knew beforehand that they would accept him.
Declarations are made of God’s foreknowledge of those whom he purposed to save & use.
- Romans 8:28-30; 11:2
- 1 Peter 1:1-2
- Jeremiah 1:5
INDIVIDUAL ELECTIONINDIVIDUAL ELECTION:: This view states that God chose certain persons to be the recipients of special grace and eternal salvation. It is unconditional; there is nothing that mankind has done to merit it.
Declarations are made of God’s purpose to save or select certain individuals for His use.
- Acts 13:48
- Ephesians 1:4-11
- 2 Thessalonians 2:13
- 2 Timothy 1:9
Declarations are made that the Father has given certain persons to the Son to be his special possession.
- John 6:37-39, 44, 65
- John 17:2, 6, 9, 24
WHAT IF GOD DID ELECT SOME; DOES HE HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO SO?
- Romans 9:11-24
- Romans 11:7-12, 25, 26-34 (Israel)
- John 12:37-40
- John 15:16; 17:12 (Disciples, Judas)
- 2 Corinthians 4:3-4
THE CALLING OF GOD
1. General or External Call: A call to all persons to be saved through God’s providence, His Word & Spirit.
- Isaiah 45:22; 55:6-7
- Ezekiel 33:11
- Matthew 11:28
- John 3:16; 12:32
- Romans 10:13
- Revelation 3:20
THE CALLING OF GOD
1. Special or Efficacious Call: A call of God to the Elect for His purpose, will & salvation.
- Romans 8:30
- 2 Timothy 1:9
- Matthew 20:15-16, 22:14
- Galatians 1:15
- Acts 9:4-6, 15
HOW DOES ELECTION AFFECT MANKIND?
Is our salvation based on God’s choice or our choice?
If God chose us did we even have a choice?
Why do we bother to witness and pray?
REASONING IT OUT! (Illus. 1)
1. Does God know who are elected? YES!
2. Can any of God’s elect be lost? NO!
3. Why evangelize? BECAUSE THAT IS HOW THE ELECT WILL BE SAVED!
4. Will any of the elect fail to believe? NO!
5. Why do they have to believe? BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN BE SAVED!
REASONING IT OUT! (Illus. 2)
1. Has God planned the answers to my prayers? YES!
2. Then why pray? BECAUSE THE ANSWERS COME WHEN I PRAY!
REASONING IT OUT! (Illus. 3)
1. Does God know the day you will die? YES!
2. Could you die a day sooner? NO!
3. Then why do you eat? TO LIVE!
4. Suppose I do not eat? YOU WILL EVENTUALLY DIE!
5. Would that be the day God planned that I should die? (JUST EAT!!!)
1. It is undeniable that God has foreknowledge and that election involves a selection. Hence, possibly, God may have intended for both elements to be a part of the election process. Couldn’t election involve a two-fold aspect since the Bible presents both elements as a basis for the same thing?
2. The act of election is grounded in God’s character. He is omniscient…He knew all the possibilities. He is sovereign…He does what he wills. He is loving, merciful & gracious…He will not turn away any one who comes to him with a repentant heart.
3. Election alone does not result in the salvation of people. Election assures that those chosen will be saved, but it alone does not save them. People are saved by faith through the blood of Jesus in accepting Him as savior.
4. God has made provisions for all men to be saved. Jesus died for the sins of the world that the world through Him might be saved. The world must look to Jesus to be saved.
5. Each person is responsible for what he or she does with the gospel. If you were not accountable to God for your own souls then he would not judge you on that basis. God says we must all give account, hence we have no excuse, we either accept God’s salvation or reject it.
6. Does God cast anyone into the lake of fire because they were not elected or because they rejected Jesus Christ as personal savior? God may be sovereign in his will but mankind has personal responsibility for their actions.
7. Salvation is available to all, it is unlimited, not partial. Salvation is only limited by man’s rejection of it.
Instead of trying to figure out election & who God elected. You need to make YOUR calling & election sure & ensure that you evangelize that others have equal opportunity to do the same.
NOTE: The fact that you can make your election sure means you have a part to play in the process!