elders & deacons
out of 34
Post on 24-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONTwo special ways of serving in a local church are elders and deacons. Elders are to shepherd the flock, providing protection, nourishment, and leading the flock. They care for the spiritual needs of the saints. The deacons are servants who meet the physical needs of the saints.
- 1. Elders & Deacons
- 2. But you are a chosen race, a royalpriesthood, a holy nation, a people forhis own possession, that you mayproclaim the excellencies of him whocalled you out of darkness into hismarvelous light. Once you were not apeople, but now you are Gods people;once you had not received mercy, butnow you have received mercy.1 Peter 2.9-10,CB NT p. 409
- 3. What does God teach usabout how we are to beorganized?
- 4. But whoever would be great amongyou must be your servant, and whoeverwould be rst among you must be slaveof all.Mark 10.43-45CB NT p. 82
- 5. We are to beSERVANTSand SLAVES.
- 6. Jesus
- 7. JesusSaints
- 8. Jesus SaintsBishopsDeacons
- 9. Bishops = Elders = Pastors
- 10. Now from Miletus he sent to Ephesusand called the elders of the church tocome to him.Acts 20.17CB NT p. 246
- 11. Pay careful attention to yourselves andto all the ock, in which the Holy Spirithas made you overseers, to care for thechurch of God, which he obtained withHis own blood.Acts 20.28CB NT p. 247
- 12. So I exhort the elders among you, as afellow elder ... shepherd the ock ofGod that is among you1 Peter 5.1-2CB NT p. 413
- 13. Bishops = Elders = Pastors
- 14. Bishops = Elders = PastorsHe must be of the right character.
- 15. A bishop must be... Above reproach Not quarrelsome Husband of one wife Not a lover of money Sober-minded Manage household well Self-controlled Not a recent convert Respectable, Well thought of by outsiders Hospitable Able to teach Not a drunkard Not violent Gentle
- 16. A bishop must be... above reproach Not greedy for gain husband of one wife Hospitable Children are faithful A lover of good Children not open to the Self-controlled charger of debauchery or Upright insubordination Holy Not arrogant Disciplined Not quick-tempered Hold rm to the Word Not a drunkard Not violent
- 17. Bishops = Elders = Pastors Always two or more.
- 18. Bishops = Elders = Pastors Limited Oversight
- 19. Bishops = Elders = Pastors Why?
- 20. Bishops = Elders = Pastors(overseers) (older men) (shepherds)
- 21. shepherd the ock
- 22. Protect
- 23. Nurturing
- 24. Leading
- 25. Jesus SaintsBishopsDeacons
- 26. Will today be theday you decide to go to heaven?
- 27. Lesson slideshows (with notes) and audio can be found at:www.churchofchristmiranda.com
- 28. Photo Credits: (All photos from istockphoto.com are copyright protected. Please do not use without permission.)Sheep: http://www.ickr.com/photos/scratch_n_sniff/3822181888/sizes/l/in/photostream/Shepherd: iStock_000008170193Pasture:Crook: iStock_000007264337
- 29. Compiled and Presented by:Fellowship with Man Dave StewartChurch 19 December, 2010 Las Cruces, NM#13 www.churchofchristmiranda.com Elders & Deacons Synopsis: Two special ways of serving in a local church are elders and deacons. Elders are to shepherd the ock, providing protection, nourishment, and leading the ock. They care for the spiritual needs of the saints. The deacons are servants who meet the physical needs of the saints. Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Let all that you do be done with love.
View more >