Post on 29-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Hello, I will be doing a research on Ancient Egyptian Clothing, from footwear to jewelry to special clothing. I chose this topic because I wanted to learn about other kinds of clothes, like what other people wore, what they were allowed to wear, how they afforded it, and how they were made.
- All clothes were almost always made of linen which is made from flax.
- Growing flax was a job for men only.
- Half-ripe flax stems made the best thread.
- Flax stems were soaked for several days.
- The fibers were beaten until soft. .
- The fibers were twisted into strong thread.
- The weaving was done on a loom.
- White linen had to be washed a couple of times. They washed it in the river or canal, rinsed, then it was pounded on a stone. After that it was bleached in the sun.
- They pressed the linen into grooves on a wooden board to let it dry.
4. Egyptian Jewlery
- Jewelry was worn wheter you were rich or poor.
- Wore earrings,rings, necklaces
- They also used the jewelry to surround the pharaohs tomb.
- Most necklaces were made of turqoise and lapis lazuli stones
- Both genders usedmake up.
- Both men and women had green/blue eyeshadows.
- Used a powder called KOHL to darken the eye lashes
- Used another powder to redden the check called OCHRE
- Used a dye called HENNA to redden their nails and hair.
- The men had to have no beard or mustaches.
- Women had to have hair down to their shoulders.
- The workers wore loincloth which were made of animal hide and linen.
- Most of the slaves worked half naked since they were poor.
- Most men or women wore very long see-through robes that were pleated.
- People wore wide clothes made of white cloth.
- They did not wear more jewelry or fancier clothes to show wealth.
- They did wear gold jewelry and the most transparent clothes
- People usually went barefoot.
- Wore sandals when their feet gets hurt, and also in special occasions.
- Tutankhamen had 93 pieces of footwear made with different things.
8. How they dressed
- The women didnt wear clothes unless they washed.
- They were scented with oil
- Placed a large rectangle of linen around their heads and tied the loose linen to keep wrapped.
- The main things they used in the bathroom were tweezers, razors and comb.
9. Special Clothing
- Priests had almost the same clothing as a Pharaoh.
- They were certain clothing when approaching a god.
- They had to remove all body hair before approaching a god.
- They couldnt wear leather sandals or any wool clothing because they were considered unclean.
- Pharaohs had to wear a lot of jewelry.
- The Pharaohs clothes had to be different from other peoples especially the priests.
- They wore a special headdress.
- Pharaohs also had to have to wear a royal robe.
- Wore things part of the Fourth Dynasty
- Both men and women wore wigs. Changed everyday.
- Both men and women also wore special wigs (curly wigs) in special occasions.
- If a girl had hair that wasnt at their shoulders. They had to wear a wig that is down to their shoulders.
11. Materials Used
- A flax is a plant that has small leaves, blue flowers and stems about two feet tall.
- A loincloth is a piece of material fastened around the waist and worn by men.
- A Papyrus is tall water plant that grows in the Nile Valley
- A Lapis Lazuli is a deep-blue stone used for ornaments.
- The sandals were made of palm fiber or braided papyrus.
- Wigs were made from human hair or wool.
- Some notes in my book.