high standards or a high standard of standardness?
out of 22
Post on 18-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis presentation will explore the ways in which the professional dimensions of school librarianship are being challenged in Australia and elsewhere as we move into a second decade of a new century. On the one hand, all who work in schools and support the learning of educational communities are being called to be innovators and collaborators in more open and fluid social learning networks. This demands, among other things, that we ‘unlearn’ many of our ‘standard’ educational practices, as well as our criteria for measuring them. On the other hand educators of all stripes find themselves working within an increasingly regulated, system and accountability-driven education environment.
- 1. Erica McWilliam SLAQ/IASL Conference, Convention Centre, 30 September, 2010. Diversity Challenge Resilience: School Libraries in Action - The 12th Biennial School Library Association of Queensland, the 39th International Association of School Librarianship Annual Conference incorporating the 14th International Forum on Research in School Librarianship, Brisbane, QLD Australia, 27 September 1 October 2010.
- 2. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3. From To Silent singular reader Reading as a team sport Reading for enlightenment Reading for belonging Books Vooks Page-turning Key-tapping In-depth reading Power browsing Linear texts Linked fragments Single focus technologies Interruption technologies Oasis of bookish tranquility Space of digital interactivity
- 4. Training, Sorting Credentialling
- 6. Size of this preview: 800 596
- 7. a place to congregate, talk, write, read, Size of this preview: 789 599 pixels
- 8. provider of pleasant and engaging spaces of interaction and self-managed learning arbiter of the affairs of the neighbourhood broker of social relationships assembler of newspapers and other learning materials source of gossip alert to special needs of clients business manager
- 9. Usefully ignorant Seriously playful (A) Epistemologically agile Team orientation Ideas translator &broker Technologically savvy
- 10. Complex Complexity Simple Short-term Time Long-term
- 11. Complexity Service provider Procedures manager Routines and habits Staff supervision Template applications Program leadership Simple rules and Higher credential procedures Promotion Repetition, memorisation Wider responsibilities Limited appraisal Annual appraisal Time
- 12. Crisis leader/manager Innovative Leader All other quadrants +: Creative generative thinker Good judgment Lead learner Quick action Ruthlessly curious Sound monitoring Calculated risk-taker Capacity to adapt Active networker complexity Strategic alliances Proactive team member Creative broker Service provider Procedures manager Routines and habits Staff supervision Template applications Program leadership Simple rules and Higher credential procedures Promotion Repetition, memorisation Wider responsibilities Limited appraisal Annual appraisal Time
- 13. demands knowledge of risk produces new risks for the organisation hyper-rational and deeply pragmatic logic self-scrutinising audit mechanisms new organisational arrangements for monitoring performance Benchmarking activity
- 14. intimate knowledge of the client-as- portfolio; more informed about, more focused on, and more likely to contribute to, on-line information flow and the virtual information storage systems; more adept at finding and using organisational systems; more likely to invest professional self-development. An active enterprising human resource
- 15. all service providers are to engage in routine diagnosis, classification, and treatment decision-making; demands clarification of roles and responsibilities, attention to progression rates, timely response rates for internal and external review and evaluation etc; a new visibility for quality Hell be ok hes just seen his claims. key performance indicators...
- 16. skills and dispositions that apply to new ecologies for learning can be informed by from lifelong learning ecologies from the past coffee-house proprietors skills can be adapted as part of the repertoire of skills generic risk management is often in tension with cultural shifts in learning professional work as push-and-pull between compliance and risk-taking.
- 17. Stupid optimist seeks the easy life
View more >