Post on 10-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1.Earth Layers
- The Earth is divided into four main layers.
- *Inner Core
- *Outer Core
2. The Earths Crust
- The crust is the thinnest layer on Earth, 5 km to 100 km
- There are two types of crust
- Oceanic crust made mostly of the igneous rock basalt.Found under the ocean.Relatively thin,
- 5 kmto 7 km. Contains more iron than the Continental crust, therefore is more dense.
- Continental crust made mostly of granite.Found under the continents.Relatively thick, up to 100 km.
3. Special parts of the Crust
- Crust is the upper part of the lithosphere.
- Broken up into large plates.
- The uppermost part of the mantle is also part of the Lithosphere
- Upper part of mantle, below lithosphere
- 130 160 km thick
- Cooler part of the mantle that the lithosphere plates slide on top of.
4. 5. 6. The Earths Mantle
- Located directly above the outer core
- Starts below the crust
- Is the largest layer
- 80% of the Earths volume & 68% of Earths mass
7. The Earths Mantle
- Composed of more iron than the crust.
- Density, pressure, and temperature all increase the deeper you go in the mantle
- Temperature ranges from 870 C 2200 C
8. 9. Special layers of the mantle
- Lithosphere crust plus the upper, solid part of the mantle.Forms plates.
- Asthenosphere just under the lithosphere.Slow moving Silly putty layer on which the lithospheric plates slide.(Solid rock that flows very slowly.)
10. 11. The Earths Core
- The Earths Core
- Composed of theinnerandoutercore
- Both are made of iron and nickel
12. The Earths Outer Core
- The Outer Core -Liquid
- Surrounds the inner core
- Temperature ranges from 2200 C 5000 C near inner core
- Molten (liquid) iron and nickel
13. 14. The Earths Inner Core
- The Inner Core - Solid
- Temperature reaches 5000 C
- Solid iron and nickel
- Usually both would be liquid but are solid in the core because of the incredible pressure
- The solid core is the source of Earths magnetic field
- The inner core and outer cores do not turn at the same speed as the rest of the earth.
- Causes a generator effect which produces a magnetic field.
- It protects us from some of the suns harmful radiation.
- What does the inside of the Earth look like?
- How do scientists know that there is a solid inner core?
- Determining the composition of the Earth
- Scientists cannot see the interior of the planet, or drill to the core, so they useseismic wavesto determine the composition of the layers.
- Seismic waves: are vibrations that are produced when an earthquake happens.
- Seismic waves travel at different speed depending on the composition and density of material. Measuring these waves tellsus what is in the Earths layers, and how the materials change.
19. i 20. What do you know about these layers?