don’t forget the basics!
Post on 28-Nov-2016
Embed Size (px)
Journal of Optometry (2012) 5, 51
Practice oftwo decadas contactspecialtieseye care pamount ofto improvefunction aOptometrytechnologymore, donexclusively
Howevelish the bsubjective improve eaity in an Indeed, the ECP should always keep feet on the ground anddont ignore the basics of our scientic and clinical specialtyto better usurroundininteraction
With nopatients wproblems, the examinthe visual stasks,6 whiimprove th
the succlay ito bed a
eor Etomrrom-Samlar d
and scattering in a patient with post-traumatic anisocoria: acase report. J Optom. 2012;5:98---103.
1888-4296/$http://dx.dnderstand how the gift of vision interacts with theg environment and do our best to make such an
to run as smooth as possible. doubt new technology allows us to provide ourith newer and better solutions for their visualbut again we have to bear in mind the basics ofation of the visual mechanism to understand howystem decides which eye prefers for certain visualch basical anatomical parameters to consider toe understanding of clinically relevant measures as
, Center of Physics, University of Minho, 4710-057,gal.ddress: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Marasini S, Khadka J, Sthapit PRK, Sharma R, Nepal BP. Ocularmorbidity on headache ruled out of systemic causes -a preva-lence study carried out at a community based hospital in Nepal.J Optom. 2012;5:68---74.
4. Teoh SC, Chen A-H, Mohidin N. Young non-VDU users are moresusceptible to ocular functions changes with sustained VDU near-work. J Optom. 2012;5:56---61.
5. Westman M, Liinamaa MJ. Relief of asthenopic symptoms withorthoptic exercises in convergence insufciency is achieved inboth adults and children. J Optom. 2012;5:62---67.
6. Pointer JS. Sighting versus sensory ocular dominance. J Optom.2012;5:52---55.
7. Iyamu E, Osuobeni E. Age, gender, corneal diameter, cornealcurvature and central corneal thickness in Nigerians with normalintra ocular pressure. J Optom. 2012;5:87---97.
8. Sergienko NM, Gromova A, Sergienko N. Subjective method ofrefractometry and depth of focus. J Optom. 2012;5:75---79.
see front matter 2012 Published by Elsevier Espaa, S.L. on behalf of Spanish General Council of Optometry.oi.org/10.1016/j.optom.2012.04.003Forget the Basics!
olvides de lo bsico!
ief of Journal of Optometry
optometry has changed signicantly in the pastes, particularly in highly dynamic areas such
lens practice and other highly interdisciplinary of optometry and visual sciences. As a result,ractitioners (ECP) deal today with an increasing
imaging and analysis equipment that allows us our understanding of the ocular structure ands never before. The present issue of Journal of
offers some good examples of how important are advances in our everyday practice.1,2 Further-t miss the next Special Issue of J Optom devoted
to this matter.r, technology will hardly replace an ECP to estab-ridge between the coldness of data and thecomplains,2---4 in order to orient treatments toch patients visual skills to develop his/her activ-increasingly visually demanding environment.5
Ourwill reorder obtainmatelydiagno
2. Genrocur pressure,7 or how the visual system makes use oforking principles to expand its visual capabilities
theoretical predictions of optics.8
ess as professionals in the eld of health sciencesn our ability to apply technological advances inetter understand the clinical meaning of datand how it ts in the patient complains, and ulti-vide patients with the best preventive strategies,tools and treatment plans.
, Millodot M, Zyroff M, Gordon-Shaag A. Validation ofetric measurements obtained with a new integratedetry-topography system. J Optom. 2012;5:80---86.
pedro A, Pinero Llorens DP, Ondategui Parra JC. Inte-ifferences in visual quality due to ocular aberrations
Dont Forget the Basics!References