discussion guide: shine by candy gourlay
out of 42
Post on 19-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. A D I S C U S S I O N G U I D E B Y T H E A U T H O RSHINEBYCANDYGOURLAY
- 2. Characters
- 3. Rosa
- 4. Rosa suers from the Calm.
- 5. She lives on an island where people like her must hide away.
- 6. She can leave the island but she doesnt want to
- 7. because she wants to see her mothers ghost again.
- 8. Rosa is lonely and isolated but she doesnt want to change her life. Why? Think
- 9. How does Rosa cope with her isolation? Would you be able to cope with being isolated like Rosa if you had the Internet? Think
- 10. Rosas desire to see her mothers ghost is so powerful she is willing to give up her freedom. Why? Think
- 11. Is there something you want so much that you would be willing to give up a lot to get it? Think
- 12. Ansel95
- 13. Ansel95 is Rosas secret online friend.
- 14. He takes beautiful pictures and because of him, Rosas hidden life becomes bearable.
- 15. But hes gured out where she lives and now he wants to meet. But now he wants to meet up ...
- 16. But hes gured out where she lives and now he wants to meet. Rosa does not want to meet her only friend face to face. What is she afraid of? Think
- 17. But hes gured out where she lives and now he wants to meet. Rosa and Ansel95 develop false versions of themselves online. Why? How dierent are they from their online personas? Think
- 18. But hes gured out where she lives and now he wants to meet.Discuss how people portray themselves online. What about you? Do you pretend to be something youre not? Why? How has the internet changed the way people see themselves? Think
- 19. Setting
- 20. Shine is set on Mirasol, an isolated island where it never stops raining.
- 21. When I started writing Shine, there were terrible oods in Manila where I grew up. I was struck by how oods that seemed such an ordinary part of life in the Philippines would be unthinkable in other places.
- 22. FLOODINMANILA,2008
- 23. I also read the short story All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury about children who live on Venus where it never stops raining. And what happens when they meet another child who has actually seen the sun.
- 24. SCREENGRABFROM THEFILMALL SUMMERINADAY If you get a chance to read All Summer in a Day compare the Venus children to the people of Mirasol. Why did they treat Margot the way they did?
- 25. Unending rain is ordinary to the people of Mirasol. How do you think rain aects their culture, beliefs and way of life? Think
- 26. In a way, Mirasol is just as isolated as Rosa. If Mirasol were human, what sort of person would he or she be? Why? Did you get the sense that the island was also a character in the story? Why? Think
- 27. People on Mirasol are superstitious. They believe in ghosts.
- 28. A ghost is a trapped soul.
- 29. Think One could say that several of the characters in Shine are trapped souls. Which characters are trapped, and why?
- 30. When people ask me what Shine is about, I reply, Its a ghost story. But the blurb on the cover says: This is not a ghost story. Though there are plenty of ghosts in it. Do you know what I mean?
- 31. Here is the cover blurb again: This is not a ghost story. Though there are plenty of ghosts in it. And its not a horror story. Though some people might be horried. Its not a monster story either. Though there is a monster in it and that monster happens to be me.
- 32. Think Who are the ghosts in Shine? Who are the monsters?
- 33. Windows and doors feature throughout the novel. Why? Think
- 34. Story
- 35. Shine is told in two voices. There are two plotlines that converge at the end. One of the stories is about twin sisters.
- 36. I was exploring many dualities: light and dark, happiness and sorrow, being the same and being dierent. Have you noticed the contrasts and oppositions in the story?
- 37. What do the the two plotlines within Shine share? Think
- 38. How are they dierent? Think
- 39. How did the two stories come together in the end? Think
- 40. It never stops raining in Mirasol. So why is the book called Shine? Think
- 41. Thank you for reading Shine. I hope this discussion guide got you thinking and made the story even more enjoyable.
- 42. If you liked Shine, try these: These are four hugely dierent books but they all share Shines theme of entrapment. And I loved reading them : left to right, a girl who has an invisible friend, a boy with Asperger's, teenagers trapped in a mountain and a boy escaping World War II Nazis.
View more >