Digitizing government archival records and P.M. Fukuda’s initiatives to strengthen the role of the National Archives Shohei Muta National Archives of Japan.
out of 28
Post on 18-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- Digitizing government archival records and P.M. Fukudas initiatives to strengthen the role of the National Archives Shohei Muta National Archives of Japan 3-2 Kitanomaru Park, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0091, Japan firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.archives.go.jphttp://www.archives.go.jp, http://www.jacar.go.jphttp://www.jacar.go.jp
- Slide 2
- Background to understand challenges faced by PM Fukuda Non existence of a modern central national archives until the establishment of National Archives in 1971 Long tradition of good record management tradition back to our ancient history Legacy of prewar government records management Continuous government scandals lack of good record keeping absence of the record management law introduction of FOIA and destruction of government records moral hazard no records no accountability
- Slide 3
- Act on Access to Information Held by Administrative Organs (Freedom of Information) "administrative document" as used in this Act shall mean a document, picture, and electromagnetic record (a record made by an electronic method, a magnetic method, or any other method not recognizable to human senses. The same shall apply hereinafter.), that, having been prepared or obtained by an employee of an administrative organ in the course of his or her duties, is held by the administrative organ concerned for organizational use by its employees. However, the followings are excluded: (i )Items published for the purpose of selling to many and unspecified persons, such as official gazettes, white papers, newspapers, magazines, and books. (ii )Items that are, pursuant to the provisions of a Cabinet Order, specially managed as either historical or cultural materials, or as materials for academic research in the National Archives or other organs designated by a Cabinet Order.
- Slide 4
- National Archives Law Chapter 4: Use of Government Documents and Records at the NA Article 16. The government documents and records preserved at the National Archives shall be made available for public use. Provided, however, that this does not apply to such government documents and records that are not fit for public use for reasons of the protection of privacy or for other rational reasons.
- Slide 5
- Meiji Government and its record Management Records preservation going back to ancient times Pre-war administration and preservation of official records: modeling after various western countries Hierarchical government structure with the Emperor at its top: only to be accountable to the sovereign, who is infallible lack of modern archival tradition Absence of central depository (national archives) But official records were well managed and preserved
- Slide 6
- Myth? Destruction of official records at the end of the war Most important records were moved to safer places Destruction orders were issued very end of the war, August 13-15 Army and Navy general staff officers hid many important documents avoiding confiscation by the GHQ Seizure by and return from the WDC
- Slide 7
- The Draft Imperial Rescript on the Greater East Asia War Declaration
- Slide 8
- 8 Digital Archive System Digital Gallery Searchable digital reading room 1.1 million files data available Digital images of Constitutions National Important Cultural Properties and large maps in high- definition digital format 710 images (531 items) available National Archives Digital Archive Japan Center for Asian Historical Records Search system Provide about 15 million digital images and more than 1 million searchable catalogue data Internet Special Exhibitions Russo-Japanese War US-Japan War Talks New exhibition on Modern History of Japan as viewed in the Originals of Treaties National Archives Digital Projects
- Slide 9
- Slide 10
- Slide 11
- Slide 12
- Slide 13
- Slide 14
- Slide 15
- Slide 16
- Slide 17
- Slide 18
- Slide 19
- Slide 20
- Slide 21
- Slide 22
- Slide 23
- Slide 24
- PM Fukuda and the archives? Mr. Fukuda as Chief Cabinet Secretary visited JACAR as early as January 2002 His first encounter with archives was 20 years ago at NARA Now he thinks: Important documents that are closely linked to peoples lives are handled inappropriately, I feel like saying Iam fed up with this mess and stop this right now. If a democracy is defined as a system in which each citizen is capable of making accurate decisions, then the facts have to be clear, I believe one of the fundamental tasks of a central government is to think about how to announce and preserve records and facts. (www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/Tky200802270088.html)
- Slide 25
- Road to the change? In 2003, as Chief Cabinet Secretary under PM Koizumi, Mr. Fukuda set up an advisory panel to look into the proper management, reservation and use of public documents Several reports have been published including preservation and management of born digital records In 2005, set up a league of LDP and New Komeito Diet members Last December, the league submitted a special appeal to PM Fukuda Feb. 29, PM appointed Yoko Kamikawa as state minister in charge of public documents management
- Slide 26
- Policy Speech by Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda to the 169th Session of the Diet January 18, 2008 Administrative and Financial Reforms to Restore the Trust of the People The careless management of public documents, such as pension records, is absolutely unacceptable. We will conduct a fundamental review of the modalities for managing administrative records and will consider their legislation, and furthermore, we will improve the system for preserving public records, including expanding the national archives system.
- Slide 27
- The key to the change and the key to understand Japanese politics and modern history Buntankanri Each ministry and agency is basically allowed to handle documents in whatever way it sees fit. Independence of each ministry From Meiji Government, example is WWII Army and Navy Prime Minister has two functions as a head of Cabinet as PM as a head of Cabinet Office (equal to other ministers)
- Slide 28
- Thank you
View more >
National Archives and Records Administration §1234 National Archives and Records Administration 1234.10…
National Archives Records on Microform What they are and where to find them Archival Research Basics with the National Archives Lesson # 8 The National.
The National archives and records management: with the enactment of the National Archives and Records Centre Bill. ... Government of the Straits Settlements with its records from Penang to Singapore in
The National Archives and Records digitized by NARA and its Digitizing Partners, ... The National Archives and Records Administration ... Requirements Guide attributes with each level of the
The National Archives and Records Administration National Archives and Records Administration ... Ligon did her undergraduate work at the University of Cincinnati. Archivist National Archives College Park, MD.
National Archives of the Philippines Act of republic act no. 9470 ] act to strengthen the system of and administration of archival records. establishing for the purpose the national
National Archives Records related to the Archives-Primary... · 2017-04-26 · National Archives Records…
AGUIDETO CIVIL WAR MAPS - National Archives civil war maps ~in~ the national archives the national archives national archives and records administration washington, d.c. 1986
National Archives and Records Administration ?· NARA’s Strategic Plan ... The National Archives and…
National Archives Primary Sources available ONLINE Archival Research Basics with the National Archives Lesson # 7 The National Archives and Records Administration.
B-306975 National Archives and Records Administration ... ?· The National Archives and Records Administration…
The National Archives What and Where? Archival Research Basics with the National Archives Lesson # 4 The National Archives and Records Administration Pacific.
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA ... of document: National Archives and Records Administration…
NATIONAL ARCHIVES Research Our Records The to the National Archives Catalog Search Page ... NATIONAL ARCHiVES Records about Japanese Americans ... • indexes tags and transcriptions daily ...
Digitization Standards at the National Archives and ... Standards at the National Archives and Records Administration ... requirements to ... digitization products to be used by all entities digitizing NARA