deforestation in the congo rainforest. africa's rainforests most rainforests in africa are...
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONCongo rainforest- biggest Guinea- west coast Nigerian Gabon
DEFORESTAT ION IN THE CONGO
AFRICA'S RAINFORESTS• Most Rainforests in Africa are found in the Congo Basin. • Deforestation began in 1990 and it is still a problem today.• Many include Gorillas, chimpanzees, and elephants.• Native population known as pygmies live there.
Congo rainforest- biggest
Guinea- west coast
DIFFERENT CAUSES OF DEFORESTATION• To make more land for housing and urbanization.• Make more homes.• Logging. • Subsistence agriculture. • Mining.• Bush meat trade.• Industrial logging is the most extensive form of land use in Central Africa.
• Used for basic health care. • Very important. • Illegal logging is very common.• Big cause of deforestation.
• Main cause of deforestation. • Many poor families use this.• Use trees and burn them.
• Most dangerous activity • Africa has many rich minerals • Many short term health issues• Very little saftey
EFFECTS ON THE REGION/ENVIRONMENTALLY • Constant Climate changes like Greenhouse emissions • The bush meat industry has decreased because of the lack rainforest
habitat• Extinction of many animals • Destroying homes for a lot of wildlife
Cut down trees everywhere
2000 sq miles are lost every year.
27 billion tones of carbon stocks a year
• Increase in supply and demand • Plants are dying • New roads are being set up• As population increases, resources decrease
• The government isn’t doing much to help stop deforestation • They're many rules about the rainforest and the trees inside of it• But because the government dose not care many people do illegal activites• Can result in being imprisoned or fined
STEPS TO STOP DEFORESTATION (REDD)• REDD is a group that performs activites to try and stop deforestation• Projects include…• Quantfiy greenhouse emmions in the forests• New methods to measure forest degradtion • Small groups to help stop others from cutting down trees