D. Rogalas - Visualising invisible
Post on 10-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONDimitrios Rogalas - Visualising the invisible in Science Centers and MuseumsScientix European Conference, 6-8 May 2011, Brussels
- 1.Visualizing the Invisible is Science Centers and Museums Dr. Dimitrios Rogalas Lab of Microwaves and fibre optics National Technical University of Athens Museums of the past sought artifacts, museums of the future will show facts. Otto Neurath, Museums of the Future, Survey Graphic, 1933 Scientix B russels ,6-8 May 2011
2. Partnership Institute of Communication and Computer Systems National Technical University of Athens Universitt Bayreuth Collaborative Virtual and Augmented Environments Fraunhofer Institute of Technology Research& Development Department Ellinogermaniki Agogi Intrasoft International Eugenides Foundation EKFE Chios ECSITE HEUREKA 3.
- Designing the classroom of
The EXPLOAR project usingAugmented Reality Technology (AR)to connect formaland informal learning environments Inspiring Science Learning inScience Museums and Centres by 4. Aims & Objectives
- Engage visitors of science museums & science centers inextended episodes of playful learning
- Facilitate lifelong learning by providing a free-choice learning environment
- Provide pointers for future developments for curators & developers of digital technologies for museum learning
- Create virtual learning communities of museum visitors
- Raise the wider publics interest and awareness in science
- The EXPLOAR system is designed to provide3D graphics
- superimposed on the users field of visiontogether with
- other multimedia information, thusallowing to extending
- the real exhibits with virtual objects.
The EXPLOAR system 6.
- This is particularly powerful for visualizing complex concepts in physics
- that are fundamental yet imperceptible (such as electric or magnetic
- fields, forces, etc).
The EXPLOAR system 7. Virtual Science ThematicPark (VSTP)
- Mobile Augmented Reality (AR) System
- Possibility to: a) layer real objects with virtual ones
- b) place information into real surroundings
- The CONNECT Platform (CP)
- Web-based application that enables the:
- a) distribution of information and organization of educational activities (pre- & post visit activities)
- b) coordination of educators, visitors and museum staff in the use of innovative technology
8. CONNECT EXPERIENCE 9. Visual Designer (VD)(authoring tool for AR Unit)
- The VD allows the educator to specify (through a collection
- of rules) the visual augmentations the visitor can see with
- the AR unit.
- The visitors actions indicate to the system when to react.
- The reactions are presentations of multimedia content
- (images, sound, text, video or 3-D objects)
- Additional conditions (statements) might be built such that
- the AR unit presents the info when the condition is true
10. VD Interface 11. The EXPLOAR system 12. 13. Scenarios of use Hot Air Balloon Laws of Friction 14. Scenarios of use Why do planes fly? Mobile Showcase exhibit Electro-magnetic Spectrum 15. The E/M spectrum 16. 17. 18. In Science Museums EXPLOARs vision 19. 20. AR system view example Theory Technology Pathways AR adjustment - Exhibits 21. EXLOAR website www.ea.gr/ep/exploar 22. The project's vision
- We should point to a
- hybrid classroomthat
- builds on the strengths of
- formal and informal
- teaching and learning
- strategiesin ways that can
- supportlearning of all
- students .
23. Steps Forward Science Centre to Go ! Exhibit Models forSchools