CULTURAL AND SCIENTIFIC HERITAGE INVENTORY AND DIGITISATION IN ROMANIA Anca Rapeanu; Corina Dovinca “Carol I” Central University Library Bucharest.
Post on 24-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- CULTURAL AND SCIENTIFIC HERITAGE INVENTORY AND DIGITISATION IN ROMANIA Anca Rapeanu; Corina Dovinca Carol I Central University Library Bucharest
- Slide 2
- General context Global Information Society European context Cooperation between EU-member countries Cooperation between EU-member and non-member countries MINERVA Plus South-Eastern Europe countries
- Slide 3
- Cultural Heritage and Digitisation Romania General presentation
- Slide 4
- Objectives: In order to preserve and disseminate its national values, Romanias objectives are: restoring the heritage, as far as the financial situation permits it; a strong co-operation between the central and local authorities, between the public and private sectors, between specialists and citizens; the initiatives of economic development of the country should include in its policies the protection and development of the cultural heritage as an active part of the countrys development.
- Slide 5
- Romanian context Ex-communist country EU integration process Rich cultural heritage International cooperation
- Slide 6
- Legislative framework (1) Conventions proposed by the Council of Europe and ratified by the Romanian Parliament: The Convention on the Protection of the Architectural Heritage the Convention of Granada from 1985 was ratified in 1997 (the Law on the ratification of the Convention on the Protection of the Architectural Heritage of Europe no. 157/1997). The Convention on the Protection of the Archaeological Heritage - revised the Convention of La Valetta from 1992 was ratified in 1997 (Law on the ratification of the European Convention on the Protection of the Archaeological Heritage no. 150/1997). The European Landscape Convention was ratified in july 2002. (Law on the ratification of the European Convention of Landscape no. 451/2002)
- Slide 7
- Legislative framework (2) The Law on the approval of the Plan for the country planning protected zones (Law 5/2000); The Government Ordinance on the protection of the historic monuments on the World Heritage List (GO 47/2000), approved with changes by Law 564/2001; The Government Ordinance on the protection of the archaeological heritage (Law 378/2001for the approval of the Government Ordinance no. 43/2000 on the protection of the archaeological heritage and declaration of some archaeological sites archaeological areas); The Law on protection of national mobile cultural heritage (Low 182/25th of October 2000) and Government Ordinance for modification of Law no. 182/25th of October 2000 concerning protection of national mobile cultural heritage; The Law on the protection of the historic monuments (Law 422/2001) The Order of the Minister of Culture No. 2044/09.05.2001 regulates the Register for destructed, stolen, missing or illegal exported cultural assets, which are under the property or administration of legal entities.
- Slide 8
- Inventories: Administrated Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs: Unesco World Heritage List from Romania; Registry of Scheduled Monuments. Administrated by The Institute for Cultural Memory: Registry of Scheduled Monuments, The National Archaeological Inventory (RAN). The RAN Database has over 6,200 records and is growing fast; National Computer Record of the Mobile Cultural Property Classified in the National Cultural Heritage; National Collective Directory of the Romanian Rare Books; Integrated computer record of the mobile cultural heritage of the places of worship in Romania; Computer Record of the Places of Worship in Romania.
- Slide 9
- Actors Governmental bodies Research organisations MLAs
- Slide 10
- Governmental bodies Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs - is a specialized body of the central public administration. According to the Government Resolution no. 28/January 2001 on the organization and functioning of the Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs, it is responsible for developing specific strategies and policies to support culture. 42 Directorates for Culture, Religious Affairs and National Cultural Heritage The National Institute for Historic Monuments - public institution directly subordinated to the Ministry for Culture and Religious Affairs Tasks: elaborates standards and methodologies for historic monuments, provides scientific foundation for decisions of the National Comittee for Historic Monuments regarding classification and administration of historic monuments The National Office for Historic Monuments - is a public institution directly subordinated to the Ministry for Culture and Religious Affairs Tasks: management of funds for research projecting and execution of protecting work for historic monuments elaborates the national restoration program ascribes projecting and execution contracts trough public auctions.
- Slide 11
- Research organisations (1) Institute for Cultural Memory CIMEC - organization directly subordinated to The Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs, founded in 1978 in order to keep computerized evidence of the cultural patrimony. Tasks: collecting, processing, preserving and dissemination of information related to mobile and immobile cultural heritage; administration of national data basis and other computerized cultural information sources; development of instruments for the collections documentation (artefacts description rules, data standards, terminological thesauri, authority files, software etc.); editorial activities related to the field of cultural heritage; technical assistance and consultancy for museums, libraries and other cultural institutions; active participation in European projects and international partnership in order to contribute to integration of Romania in European structures, dissemination of Romanian cultural heritage and alignment to the newest technologies, methods, practices and standards in this field.
- Slide 12
- Research organisations (2) National Research Laboratory for Research in Conservation and Restauration of Mobile Cultural Heritageis - public institution directly subordinated to the Ministry for Culture and Religious Affairs Tasks expertising in the field of conservation and restoration of cultural goods training in the field of conservation and restoration of cultural goods Romanian Academy- Romanian highest cultural forum. Objectives: cultivation of the national language and literature, study of the national history, research into major scientific domains, and promotion of democratic and ethical principles of free communication of ideas in Romanian sciences, arts and letters
- Slide 13
- Repositories (MLA) (1) The Romanian National Library administrates an important part of national cultural heritage books, periodical publications, manuscripts, rare books, incurables, cartographic materials, photographs, audio-visual materials and electronic documents The Romanian Academy Library Its main goal was preservation of the national fund of manuscripts and printed materials, old and current, illustrating mainly the history and culture of the Romanian people. Since 1885, the Romanian Academy Library is a repository library. The library holdings number is almost 10 million copies, out of which 3.6 million are monographs and 5.3 million are bounded serials. The collection of manuscripts is considered to be the richest of its kind in the country, while the collections of prints and drawings, maps, numismatics, recorded music and scores are all real points of reference in their fields
- Slide 14
- Repositories (MLA) (2) University libraries Carol I Central University Library of Bucharest Central University Library Lucian Blaga Cluj Napoca Metropolitan Library of Bucharest is a cultural institution subordinated to the Bucharest City Hall. Is is a public encyclopaedic library, responsible for Bucharest legal deposit. County libraries County Libraries Gh. Asachi Iasi County Library "Ioan N. Roman" Constanta County Library Panait Istrati Braila County Library "V.A. Urechia" County Library Galati Brasov County Library
- Slide 15
- Projects - CIMEC: National Projects: RAN - Developing the National Archaeological Record National Computer Record of the Mobile Cultural Property Classified in the National Cultural HeritageNational Computer Record of the Mobile Cultural Property Classified in the National Cultural Heritage National Computer Record of the Rare Books Heritage Integrated computer record of the mobile cultural heritage of the places of worship in Romania Computer Record of the Places of Worship in Romania National Computer Record of the Performing Arts Heritage International projects: ARENA project (Archaeological Records of Europe - Network Access). Extending Online Access and Digital Preservation of European Archaeological Archives), 2001 - 2004. The EPOCH Network of Excellence in the field of new technologies applications for cultural heritage organizing international courses; participating in the AMA project - Mapping Tool for Conceptual Reference Model (2005 - 2006); participating in the network management (Irina Oberlnder- Tarnoveanu as member of the Board of Directors) HEREIN - European heritage Network - continuation on a voluntary base of the collaboration with the European Heritage Network: updating the Romanian report on the cultural policies in the field of cultural heritage; joining the annual meeting of the national correspondents; participating in the development of the multilingual thesauri.
- Slide 16
- Projects The Romanian Academy started to digitise its collections in 1999, in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs and CIMEC (they provided the technical instruments). 36.000 digital facsimiles of Eminescus Manuscripts processed. http://www.bar.acad.ro/EminescuEng2.html Traian Vuia Archives: it includes digital facsimiles of manuscripts and plans of flying machines invented by Traian Vuia http://www.bar.acad.ro/Vuiaeng.htmrojectul http://www.bar.acad.ro/Vuiaeng.htmrojectul
- Slide 17
- Projects The National Library National Digital Library of Rare Books and Manuscripts - APOGRAF Project Batthyaneum Library in Alba Iulia, branch of the National Library, together with The Ministry of Culture and Religious Affairs and CIMEC started in October 2003 with the digitization of the most important manuscripts in the Batthyaneum Collection in Alba Iulia. The scanning is performed using the state-of-the-art scanning technology and following the highest preservation standards. The digital material produced includes archival-type, high-resolution tiff images, and medium-size jpg images for web publication. At 15th of February 2005, 194 volumes (over 50.000 pages) from Batthyaneum Library, Alba Iulia were already existed in digital facsimile format. At present, there are over 180.000 recordings in the database, available at http://www.apograf.cimec.ro.http://www.apograf.cimec.ro
- Slide 18
- Projects University Libraries Carol I Central University Library of Bucharest digitising of valuable documents from its collections, or materials that are often circulating and are no longer under copyright law protection (the first Titu Maiorescu edition of Mihai Eminescus poetry is available now online : Mihail Eminescu. Poesii. Bucuresti: Editura Librariei Socecu & Comp., 1884. (http://www.bcub.ro/continut/valoribiblio/eminescu_1_100.pdf; http://www.bcub.ro/continut/valoribiblio/eminescu_101_216.pdf; http://www.bcub.ro/continut/valoribiblio/eminescu_217_306.pdf).http://www.bcub.ro/continut/valoribiblio/eminescu_1_100.pdf http://www.bcub.ro/continut/valoribiblio/eminescu_101_216.pdf http://www.bcub.ro/continut/valoribiblio/eminescu_217_306.pdf At present time 10.000 pages from its special collections items exist in digitised form, and are to be made public. Intends to create a digital library, consisting of articles from periodical publications in the field of librarianship and information science (articles written by employees of the library that would give their agreement for electronic publishing). Central University Library Lucian Blaga Cluj Napoca - DigiT. digitisation of the library's valuable collections (patrimonial documents, iconographic material, rare periodicals etc.). Chronologically, the project aims at the publications of the historical period from the Middle Age to the Modern Age
- Slide 19
- Projects - The Metropolitan Library of Bucharest Virtual Library a broader and faster access to the information; diversifying the possibilities of accessing the library collections; developing new and modern library services for the users at present time: 11 titles, 5500 pages, available at http://www.bmb-on-line.ro/scripts/master.htm
- Slide 20
- Projects County Libraries Gh. Asachi Iasi County Library - A New Library. Interhuman Network pilot project, started in 2003 selection of the documents which are included in this digitisation project was made in order to create a thematically unity five collections of reference documents were selected, containing 2.549 pages and 913 images. "Ioan N. Roman" Constanta County Library started in 2003 - the collection of old periodical documents from Dobrogea. available at Online Publication Section, on the website of Constanta County Library. The digitization process is not finished yet. Panait Istrati Braila County Library The School Digital Library 30.000 pages of Romanian literature, in accordance to school curricula. The Local Press digitization project started in 2004, will provide access to the complete collection of Mercur - the first commercial newspaper, from 1950 to 2006, in microfilms form project is due to end in 2010 present time 4.000 images are converted. "V.A. Urechia" County Library Galati - a small project on digitisations which are including the correspondence, stamps and old postcards. Brasov County Library together with Casa Mureenilor Foundation digitising the newspaper Gazeta de Transilvania.
- Slide 21
- Good news Rich cultural heritage National computerized inventories, accessible trough the Internet Legal environment harmonized with European context Importance of sharing resources is widely acknowledged and mentioned in national strategies Local initiatives in libraries
- Slide 22
- Bad news lack of standardisation and coordination on a national level lack of efficient cooperation and communication between organisations - institutions still work on small-scale isolated projects, and sometimes do the same work twice existing project are insufficiently disseminated to public
- Slide 23
- Conclusions There is a strong need of expertise in management of digitisation projects sometimes initiators are not so good...
View more >
1 MINERVA - Ministerial NEtwoRk for Valorising Activities in digitisation International Seminar Digitisation of Cultural and Scientific Heritage - Bansko,
Identifiers for Digitised Heritage Danijela Getliher Jasenka Zajec National and University Library in Zagreb The Seventh SEEDI Conference Digitisation.
“Insidious Spontaneous Complete Uterine Rupture in a “Carol Davila” University of Medicine Pharmacy, 37 Dionisie Lupu Street, District 1, Bucharest, Romania 020021 2 “Dr. I. Cantacuzino” Clinical Hospital, Bucharest, Romania, Discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 5-7 Ion ...
CULTURAL HERITAGE LIBRARY STUDIES - UCL Qatar Museums, ... which contains objects and cultural artefacts, ... CULTURAL HERITAGE LIBRARY STUDIES. HERITAGE. CULTURAL HERITAGE. HERITAGE.
II. Intangible Cultural Heritage Cultural Heritage Inventory | 17 II. Intangible Cultural Heritage Inventory 1. National inventory In Vietnam, we have not gotten an official national inventory of intangible cultural heritage. The national inventory-making is still ...
Study and preservation of cultural heritage with atomic ... GRC 2015.pdfStudy and preservation of cultural heritage ... • Study and preservation of cultural heritage badly needed in Romania, in ... • material scientists ...
#1 Why 2005 “Digitisation and online accessibility are essential ways to highlight cultural and scientific heritage, to inspire the creation of new.
ANCA PEIU, ROMANIA - Pagina principală (As I Lay Dying) ... William Faulkner, translated into Romanian by Anca Peiu; Bucharest, RAO International Publishing Company, ...
SEISMIC STRENGTHENING OF MASONRY IN BUILDINGS STRENGTHENING OF MASONRY IN BUILDINGS AND CULTURAL HERITAGE Ramiro A. SOFRONIE Professor University of Bucharest Bucharest Romania ABSTRACT
Cultural heritage Digitisation, online accessibility and digital preservation. Report European Commission