community partnerships: forsyth county public schools & literacy forsyth

Download Community Partnerships:  Forsyth County Public Schools & Literacy Forsyth

Post on 20-Feb-2016

55 views

Category:

Documents

0 download

Embed Size (px)

DESCRIPTION

Community Partnerships: Forsyth County Public Schools & Literacy Forsyth. Kathy Jolly, Forsyth County Schools and Annaliza Thomas, Literacy Forsyth March 2013. Overview. Introduction of Literacy Forsyth & Forsyth County School System (FCSS) Why partner with FCCS? - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

TRANSCRIPT

CLCP Conference Presentation Slides

Community Partnerships: Forsyth County Public Schools & Literacy ForsythKathy Jolly, Forsyth County SchoolsandAnnaliza Thomas, Literacy ForsythMarch 2013OverviewIntroduction of Literacy Forsyth & Forsyth County School System (FCSS)Why partner with FCCS?How does our CLCP partner with these programs?ResultsQ&A

Literacy ForsythCLCP since 2010Partners with Lanier Technical College in Forsyth CountyProvides tutoring and classes for basic literacy, ESOl, GED test prep and U.S. Citizenship test prepTarget demographic: over 16,000 county residentsLiteracy Forsyth1 employee 30 hours per week45 Volunteers (including Board Members)

Provide Lanier Tech with approximately $55,000 of support which goes to:GED & ESOL teacher salariesInstruction MaterialsScholarshipsJail Instruction MaterialsGraduation CostsForsyth County SchoolsEnrollment 38, 969 StudentsElementary Schools 20 (18,869 students)Middle Schools 9 (9,427)High Schools 5 (10,416)Alterative Schools 4 (257)Economically DisadvantagedFree Lunch 6,956 or 17.17% of total enrollmentReduced Lunch 1,633 or 4.03% of total enrollmentTotal Eligible 8,589 or 21.20 % of total enrollmentForsyth County Schools DemographicsRace/Ethnicity/Gender% 2013Hispanic12.32%Asian8.87%Black (Non-Hispanic)2.75%American Indian/Alaskan0.42%Multiracial2.52%Pacific Islander0.06%White (Non-Hispanic)73.06%Female48.26%Male51.74%Federal ProgramsTitle I Schools: Chestatee Elementary, Cumming Elementary, Midway Elementary, Otwell Middle, & Little Mill MiddleTitle III/ESOL 1,520 English LearnersMigrant 34 studentsMcKinney-Vento Homeless - 503Examples of Our ProgramsGED outreach to Migrant Out of School Youth and Drop OutsMigrant Parent Advisory Council Meetings and Ongoing Recruitment for Adult GED and ESL ProgramsFederal Programs Advisory Council MeetingsSummer Intervention Programs: KinderCamp & Accelerate Language CampLiteracy Services Offered On-Site at Select Title I SchoolsSupport for School-Readiness and Family Literacy at the Transition Services OfficeHow does Literacy Forsyth partner with these programs?Parent OutreachAttend any and all meetings in which parents will be attending.Present CLCP services to parentsRecruit potential studentsRecruit volunteersConnect parents to resources in the communityIncrease visibility

How we work togetherProvide Services to Parents:ABE Classes

Provide Services to Parents:Community Speakers

Provide Services to ParentsU.S. Citizenship classes

Provide Services to ParentsGED Scholarships

Extend services to k-12 student population in programsSummer learning opportunities:Digital storytelling camp

Extend services to k-12 student population in programsProvide materials

Extend services to k-12 student population in programsMobile Family Literacy Unit

ResultsThank You!Annaliza ThomasLiteracy Forsythliteracyforsyth@gmail.com