College & Career Readiness Presentation - 12/4/2013

Download College & Career Readiness Presentation - 12/4/2013

Post on 25-Dec-2014




3 download

Embed Size (px)


Information from the National City Public Library Adult Literacy Program about how to research careers and educational opportunities.


<ul><li> 1. College and Career Readiness What You Need to Know to Move Forward! </li> <li> 2. First, ask yourself: What skills do I have right now? Which job qualities do I value most? </li> <li> 3. Next, explore your options! Research and evaluate careers. What kind of skills do you need to learn? How much training or schooling is required? Are job opportunities expected to grow in the field? What is your earnings potential? </li> <li> 4. Online Career Research US Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook Government website that covers hundreds of occupations and describes What They Do, Work Environment, How to Become One, Pay, and more. Each profile also includes BLS employment projections for the 201020 decade. English: Spanish: Career OneStop Tools to help job seekers and students. </li> <li> 5. Library Research Learning Express Use your National City library card to sign up for a Learning Express account. Review Job Search and Workplace Skills. *Find under Research Guides on Search public library catalogs to find library books and e-books on career and college related topics. Always ask a librarian if you need help! San Diego Public Library Job Start Resource Guide: </li> <li> 6. Did you know? Getting more education or training can help you earn more money. Compared to someone with only a high school diploma, data show that you could earn: Over $300 more a month if you have some college but no degree; Over $500 more a month if you have an associates (two-year) degree; Over $1,500 more a month if you have a bachelors (four-year) degree Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2012. Education Pays. </li> <li> 7. College Research Adult Student Checklist College Navigator College Affordability and Transparency Center </li> <li> 8. Watch out for diploma mills! A diploma mill is a company that offers degrees for a flat fee in a short amount of time and requires little to no course work. Degrees awarded through diploma mills are not legitimate, and can cost you more than just your money. Source: Federal Trade Commission </li> <li> 9. Choose a school or program that is accredited Check here: US Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs: </li> <li> 10. Community Colleges *2-year programs that lead to an Associates degree *2-year programs that lead to transfer to a university *Certificate programs &amp; vocational training City College - Mesa College - Miramar College - Grossmont College - Cuyamaca College - Southwestern College - </li> <li> 11. California Universities *4-year programs leading to a Bachelors degree California State University System All California State University campuses University of California System All University of California </li> <li> 12. Financial Aid Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - PIN for FAFSA - Cal Grant - Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGW) - Check with each community colleges website - AB 540 (California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form for Undocumented Students) - CSS Profile (Financial Aid Profile required by many Private Colleges) </li> <li> 13. Financial Aid and the California Dream Act See Students need to meet the following Assembly Bill (AB) 540 qualifications: Attend a California high school for a minimum of three years; Graduate from a California high school or pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or get a General Equivalency Diploma (GED); Enroll in an accredited and qualified California college or university; and, If applicable, fill out an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as eligible. </li> <li> 14. Preparing for Assessment Tests Before entering community college, you must apply online and make an appointment for assessment tests in English and Math. Some community colleges offer workshops to help students prepare. Ask a counselor when these workshops will be offered. Check the college website for study guides and test prep questions. Librarians on campus may also be able to point you to the right study tools. </li> <li> 15. Support on Campus Ask your counselor at school about programs to help first-time college students and how to apply. EOPS What is EOPS? Extended Opportunity Program and Services is a state-funded, special assistance program for students who are socially, economically, and academically or language disadvantaged. EOPS assists students with counseling, money for books, emergency loans, priority registration, unlimited tutoring, and specialized support workshops. </li> <li> 16. Support on Campus Ask about organizations on campus. There are clubs that can help you navigate college as a first-time student. Think about joining: Puente Project Umoja Project </li> <li> 17. Transfer Agreements If you are starting out at a community college and transferring to a university, ask your counselor at school about transfer agreements. TAG (Transfer Admissions Guarantee) can offer you the opportunity to get guaranteed admission to some Cal State or University of California campuses. You must meet transfer requirements for your major and maintain a good GPA (grade point average). </li> </ul>