College and Career Readiness Mathematics at Middle School Poway Unified School District 2014.
out of 16
Post on 22-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- College and Career Readiness Mathematics at Middle School Poway Unified School District 2014
- Slide 2
- Purpose of this Presentation Share the PUSD math program for Grade 6 and 7 Develop an understanding of the expectations and options for students in math as they become college and career ready Answers questions about mathematics at Middle School in Poway Unified School District
- Slide 3
- All students need a high quality mathematics program designed to prepare them to graduate from high school ready for college, career, and civic life. - Mathematics Framework, Introduction Page 1 The California State Framework for Mathematics 2013
- Slide 4
- The development of strong, deep Algebraic thinking is the most important prerequisite for success in in higher level mathematical reasoning and application in problem solving in later life. Mastery and application of the basic components of math at middle school is critical for use in later career and life. Guiding Purposes in Middle School Math
- Slide 5
- Components of Math Instruction Precision in Math Procedures Deep Understandin g of Concepts Application in Real World Problems
- Slide 6
- 2 Sets of Standards Standards of Mathematical Practice (What do we want students to do) Mathematical Content Standards (What do we want students to know)..
- Slide 7
- Overarching Habits of Mind 1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them. 6. Attend to precision Overarching Habits of Mind 1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them. 6. Attend to precision Reasoning and Explaining 2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively 3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others. Reasoning and Explaining 2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively 3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others. Modeling and Using Tools 4. Model with mathematics 5. Use appropriate tools strategically Modeling and Using Tools 4. Model with mathematics 5. Use appropriate tools strategically Seeing Structure and Generalizing 7. Look and make use of structure 8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning Seeing Structure and Generalizing 7. Look and make use of structure 8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning The California Standards of Mathematical Practice
- Slide 8
- The California State Mathematical Content Standards Domains Source: California Mathematics Framework, 2013 678 Ratios & Proportional Relationships (RP) Functions (F) Expression and Equations (EE) The Number System (NS) Statistics and Probability (SP) Geometry (G)
- Slide 9
- Developing understanding of statistical thinking Completing understanding of division of fractions, and extending negative numbers Connecting Ratio, rate and % to multiplication to solve problems Completing understanding of division of fractions, and extending negative numbers Writing, interpreting and using equations and expressions Developing understanding of statistical thinking Critical Content in Grade 6 Grade 6
- Slide 10
- Developing understanding of and applying proportional relationships, including percentages; Developing understanding of operations with rational numbers and working with expressions and linear equations Solving problems involving scale drawings and informal geometric constructions and working with two- and three-dimensional shapes to solve problems Drawing inferences about populations based on samples Students also work towards fluently solving equations of the form + k = and (+)= r Critical Content in Grade 7 Grade 7
- Slide 11
- Math 6th Math 7th Math 8th College and Career Pathway for Majority of Students 5th Optional Pathway - Compacted Classes 5th 6 th + of 7 of Grade 7 of Grade 7 + Grade 8 High School Course
- Slide 12
- 6th 7th 8th Common Core Aligned Content Across All Middle School 5 th 9 th Grade Course Higher Level Course 10th Grade Course 11 th Grade Course All Pathways: Access to a g Requirements and Higher Level Math End of Grade 10 Compacted Class Higher Level Course (AP) Grade 11 th + Higher Course 10 th Grade Course 6/7 7/8 9 th Grade Course 5th Higher Level Course (AP ) 11th Grade Course Higher Level Course Grade 11 th + Higher Course Higher Level Course (AP) Higher Level Course (AP)
- Slide 13
- District Recommendation Math 6th Math 7th Math 8th Majority of Students 5th Optional Pathway - Compacted Classes 5th 6 th + of Grade 7 of Grade 7 + Grade 8 High School Course Winter or Spring MAP Score of 252 Qualifying Assessment Given for students at 248 - 251
- Slide 14
- Extending Our Strong Instructional Model in Mathematics Application and Concept Development through the Standards of Mathematical Practices: http://www.pd360.com/index.cfm?ContentId=6233
- Slide 15
- What questions do you have on the Mathematical Standards of Practice and/or Content Before we move on to a little class work..?
- Slide 16
- How can you help your child in math? Help your children practice their addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts. Encourage your children not to give up while solving problems, so they can build their math stamina and develop their critical thinking skills. Dont give them the answers - ask them to think of different ways they can solve problems. Have your children illustrate the math they were thinking in their head and discuss it with you out loud. Have your children apply their math knowledge to a real- world scenario at home, such as doubling a recipe or calculating the area of a room.
View more >
Irvine Unified School District Unified School District ... - Upgrade middle school science and secondary career technical educational classrooms and ... Resolution requesting ...
College and Career Readiness in Middle School: and Career Readiness in Middle School: ... n an episode of Seinfeld, ... of college and career thinking when supporting reading
PERSONNEL COMMISSION Poway Unified School District ??PERSONNEL COMMISSION Poway Unified School District ... paging/intercom systems and clock systems. E 2. Troubleshoot and diagnose ... Plan
Integrating College and Career Readiness Assistants Jessica Montefusco ~ Fairview Middle School Sarah Wodecki ~ Bellamy Middle School.
PERSONNEL COMMISSION Poway Unified School ??PERSONNEL COMMISSION Poway Unified School District ... paging/intercom systems and clock systems. E 2. Troubleshoot and diagnose ... Plan
College and Career Readiness - emphasizes college and career readiness throughout middle and high school through a variety of school counseling curriculum and ... The Naviance web-based ...
College and Career Readiness Conference Summer 2014 THE IMPORTANCE OF COHERENT LESSONS IN HIGH SCHOOL MATHEMATICS.
Los Angeles Unified School District COORDINATOR/COUNSELOR/ GUIDANCE STAFF SUPPORT College and Career Readiness Support LAUSD, CDE and College Board LA.
Middle School Mathematics San Francisco Unified School District Professional Development Day April 23, 2012.
College & Career Readiness for All Students Paul Gothold, Chief Academic Officer April 26, 2011 Lynwood Unified School District.
High School Graduation and College and Career Readiness School Graduation and College and Career Readiness Act ... The High School Graduation and College and Career Readiness ... to calculate the cost to ...