citizen journalism: news reporting as part of a social movement
Post on 25-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONby Sean AngExecutive DirectorSoutheast Asian Center for e-Mediapresented at Mekong ICT Camp 2(Day One - June 7, 2010)
- 1. Citizen Journalism: News Reporting as Part of a Social Movement Sean Ang Executive Director
2. Objective of this Session Objective 1:Participants will be able to understand methods toidentify important agenda Objective 2:Participants will be able to develop a framework to analyze an issue 3. Content 4:10 pm:News Reporting as a Social Movement 4:20 pm:Group Discussion 1: How to identify an agenda? 4:50 pm:Group Presentation 1 5:00 pm:Group Discussion 2: How to analyze an issue? 5:30 pm:Group Presentation 2 4. Citizen Journalist as Emerging Social Activist News Reporter Social Activist Citizen Journalist 5. Citizen Journalist as Emerging Social Activist News Reporter Social Activist 6. Comparison Between 3 Types of Social Movements Individual or NGI NGOs Media Organization Reports to Nobody. Operates based on reputation ( Can be a Ronin) Reports to Funders or Stakeholders Reports to Shareholders Agenda can be fixed or changed according to the CJ Agenda is fixed (Usually 2-3) Driven by Editorial Policy Citizen Journalists Social Activist News Reporter 7. Case Study: Citizen Journalism Malaysia 8. Case Study: Citizen Journalism Malaysia 9. What it takes to be an Effective Citizen Journalist? Start Here Journalism Principles How to Use a Video Camera? Script Writing Introduction toAdobe Premier 10. Sample Curriculum 11. Sample Curriculum 12. What it takes to be an Effective Citizen Journalist? Start Here Journalism Principles How to Use a Video Camera? Script Writing Introduction toAdobe Premier How to Identifyan Agenda? How to Analyzean Issue? 13. How to Identify an Agenda? Approach 1: You are the Boss You decide what is the agenda close to you Approach 2: People are the Boss Find out what is important for the community Approach 3: The Money is the Boss You make money as a Ronin Citizen Journalist 14. Approach 1: You are the Boss
- Is this close to your heart and belief system?
- Do you have the time and resources?
- Is this something that make you a domain
- Do you have friends that can help you?
- Will you be remembered well for this?
- 6. Are you willing to take the risk or implications?
15. Approach 2: People is the Boss
- Which target group are you serving?
- How do you know if this is what the people
- wants to know?
- 3.How do you identify a breaking news?
- Will you become a Hero amongst the people?
- What are the techniques can be used to feel the
- pulse of the people?
16. Group Discussion 1: How to Identify an Agenda? Using Tweetdeck to Feel the Pulse of the People 17. Group Discussion 1: How to Identify an Agenda? Using Tweetdeck to Feel the Pulse of the People
- Find out what important people tweet about
- Find out if there is a pattern for certain key words
- Find out if there is a many re-tweeting
- Find out certain trends for certain topics
Once you have identified, discuss with group members Present your proposal for Top 3 Agenda, and explain Why 18. Group Discussion 1: How to Identify an Agenda? Questions: What other methods that you can use to identify the pulse of the people? 19. How to Analyse an Issue? The PrivateInvestigator The Politician The Librarian 20. The Private Investigator Hat
- What is the motive?
- Are there any eyewitness?
- What are the laws broken?
- Who are the collaborators?
- Was this planned or accidental?
- Can science be used to verify or
- validate an issue?
- 7. Are the people involved sane?
21. Group Discussion 2: How to Analyze an Issue? Case Study:Teoh Beng Hock
- Do internet research on Teoh Beng Hock Case
- Make a Preliminary Hypothesis
- Ask you this: what kind of information needs to be
- obtained to falsify a hypothesis
Discuss with group members Present your prelimianary Conclusion 22. Internet Research Sources 1. Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teoh_Beng_Hock 2. Chronology:http://politicsinmy.blogspot.com/2009/08/ chronology-of-inquest-of-teoh-beng-hock.html 2. Malaysia Today:http://www.malaysia-today.net 3. Malaysiakini :http://www.malaysiakini.com 4. Big Dog UMNO Blogger http://bigdogdotcom.wordpress.com//2010/04/27/ tbh-inquest-dap-supporters-are-desperate/ 5. The Malay Mail:http://www.mmail.com.my/content/ 8388-death-teoh-beng-hock-mystery-waiting-be-solved 23. Case Study: Teoh Beng Hock 24. THE END