children’s hospital • pre-op preop.pdf · children’s hospital • pre-op information...
Post on 17-Aug-2018
Embed Size (px)
Childrens Hospital Pre-Op Information
Contact the Anesthesia Pre-Admit Screening Service (APASS) prior to the surgery date.They can be reached by phone at 205-939-6235 or www.onlinepreop.com. They will giveyou some additional information that will help prepare you and your child for surgery
The Day Before Surgery1. Call the office if your child develops a fever, cold, rash or has been exposed to any
contagious illnesses (especially chicken pox), as the surgery may need to be postponeduntil your child is well or cleared by the pediatrician. If your child should become ill themorning of the procedure, please call the One Day Surgery Center at 205-939-9596 by6AM.
2. We will review pre-operative instructions and arrival time prior to the surgery date. If youhave not heard from us by 4pm the day before surgery, please call 205-933-8588 or tollfree 1-866-715-7532 to confirm instructions.
3. It is important that your childs stomach be empty before being put to sleep. He/She mayhave nothing solid to eat, drink or chew after 12 midnight. This includes milk products,formula, breast milk, orange juice, cereal, gum or hard candy.
4. Please bathe your child thoroughly the night before surgery. Depending on theprocedure, your child may be unable to take a tub bath or shower for several days/weeksfollowing surgery if immobilized in a cast.
The Day of Surgery1. The following items are not allowed in the operating room:
Contact lens/eyeglasses Hair clips, beads or bows /Hair extenders with metal Artificial nails Ear/naval/tongue rings or piercings Fingernail or Toenail polish
2. Directions: 1600 7th Avenue South Birmingham, AL 35233
From the parking deck, take the 2nd level crosswalk into the hospital. As you enter thehospital, bear to your right and go past the stairway. You will be walking along a sidewalkthat overlooks the lobby (the front windows will be on your right). At the end of the railingyou will see a large glassed in area straight ahead. Enter the glassed in area and checkin at the Registrations Desk for One Day Admissions.
3. Please bring your insurance identification card or insurance forms with you to thehospital.
4. All patients must be accompanied by at least one parent or legal guardian and they mustremain in the hospital until surgery is completed.
5. Patients are encouraged to bring comfort items with them to the hospital (pillow,blanket, pacifier, etc.).
Arrival InformationWe will contact you 1-2 days before the date of surgery to confirm the time of your arrival to thehospital. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call ouroffice.
Plan to arrive at Childrens Hospital on ___________________ at __________AM/PM
Orthopedics for Kids2660 10th Avenue South, POB 1, Suite 107
1-866-715-7532 (205) 933-8588