career pathways + programs of study = future
Post on 17-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONMaureen Gevirtz, Ed.D. Director San Diego Imperial Counties Tech Prep Coordination Project San Diego, CA Jean Kaput Coordinator, Workforce Initiatives MiraCosta College Oceanside, CA Mara Palma-Sanft Coordinator, Tech Prep San Diego Community College District San Diego, CA Jonathan Archer Instructor Brawley High School Brawley, CA Scott Finn Counselor Southwestern Community College San Diego, CA Cindy McQuien Tech Prep Program Specialist Grossmont Cuyamaca College El Cajon, CA Learn how Programs of Study (POS) are developed in high schools and community colleges. Discover challenges and resources to create POS. See how the Statewide Career Pathways articulation templates work. Learn how Career Pathways inform POS. View POS websites. Hear from a student how POS impacts their future.
- 1. Coordination Project Funded byCalifornia Department of Education, Carl D. Perkins Career Technical Education Act, 1998,Fiscal Agent: Grossmont-Cuyamaca College District Auxiliary Organization Opening doors to education, training and employment success.
2. San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 3. Purpose San Diego and Imperial County Tech PrepPostsecondary Programs of Study in 6 Industry Clusters To strengthen and deepen the collaboration among secondary, postsecondary programs, business and industry. Secondary Business 4. Overview
- Developing Programs of Study
- Using Statewide Career Pathway Templates
- Understanding Pathways and Programs of Study
- Viewing Programs of Study Websites
- Appreciating the Student Benefits of Programs of Study
- Resources You Can Use
San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 5. DevelopingPrograms of Study The High School Perspective Jonathan Archer, Brawley Union High School Brawley, CA 6. The High School Perspective
- Introduction to the Program:
- Graphic Design teaches industry standard software, design, and photography skills to students.
- Current enrollment is 165 students (450-500 request the course each year)
- Students are excelling at both the college and career level.
7. 8. 9. 10. 11. The High School Perspective
- Steps In Creating The Program Of Study
- Working with the community and higher education: establishing and maintaining relevancy.
- Teacher involvement: becoming the expert.
- Counselor and teacher planning: communicating objectives and getting buy in.
12. 13. DevelopingPrograms of Study The College Perspective Cindy McQuien Tech Prep Program SpecialistGrossmont-CuyamacaCollege District 14. The College Perspective
- Key Elements In Creating The Program Of Study
- Monitor progress and promote networking with database of teachers and college instructors in each program of study
- Continuous adjustment
- Visits to high school sites
- College student ambassadors
- Outreach Counselors
15. Basic Steps toBegin Articulation Check High SchoolMaster Schedules to identifycourses. Create Faculty Directories (High School and College) College Course Outlines (compare to high school) Meeting BetweenHigh School And College Faculty Sign ArticulationAgreements 16. Basic Steps toContinue Articulations Visit High School classesto explain articulationpossibilities and benefits. VisitHigh School counselors to explain pathwaysand articulation Periodic meetings between faculty at high schools andcolleges to renew agreements Check Master Schedules yearly for articulated courses and new possibilities Help students fill out articulation forms at the end of each term Support students receiving articulated credit who later come to college 17. Involvement = Support
- Involvement in Information sharing
- Students college/career plans, goals
- Teachers knowledge, skills
- Tech Prep how to get college credit
- Counselors programs, schools
- College Instructors next steps
- Promote courses and pathways
- Encourage students to earn credit
- Explain benefits of articulated credit
18. San Diego and Imperial County Tech PrepUnderstanding Pathways and Programs of Study Jean Kaput Coordinator Workforce InitiativesMiraCosta College 19. Terminology San Diego and Imperial County Tech PrepList of academic and Career Technical Education Courses in sequence, connecting high school and postsecondary. U.S.Office of Vocational and Adult Education created 16 Based upon industry and Education.California has 15 industry clusters. Grouping of occupations within a cluster, based upon common elements, used for guidance counseling, transition planning and curriculum.Reference:www.careerclusters.org ,National Association of State Directors of Career Technical Education Consortium Career Clusters Career Pathway Career Pathway Program of Study Career Pathway Program of Study Program of Study 20. San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 21. San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 22. Industry SectorInformation
- California Framework for Career Technical Education
23. San Diego and Imperial County Tech PrepUsing California Career Pathway Templates Jean Kaput Coordinator Workforce InitiativesMiraCosta College 24. Using California Career Pathway Templates
- Course articulation using templates
- Articulation agreements
- Universal templates for all articulated courses by 2010
- Program of Study templates
- http:// www.careerclusters.org/resources/web/pos.cfm
San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 25. San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 26. San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 27. San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 28. San Diego and Imperial County Tech PrepPrograms of Study Websites Mara Palma-Sanft Tech Prep Coordinator San Diego Community College District 29. 30. 31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40. 41. 42. 43. 44. 45. 46. 47. San Diego and Imperial County Tech PrepPrograms of Study Websites Scott Finn Tech Prep CoordinatorSouthwestern College 48. Scott Finn Tech Prep Director Southwestern College 49. http:// www.swccd.edu/~CareerPathways 50. 51. This template illustrates all of the possible course combinations students cancomplete in high school.The content also indicates districtgraduation requirements and optional Career and Technical Courses available 52. This section provides the transferable courses necessary to complete at Southwestern college to prepare for transfer to the university. It also shows the upper division major courses and remaining general education areas needed for meeting the Bachelors degree requirements atSan Diego State University. 53. This feature provides specific links to current and locallabor market information as well as detailed careerdescriptions and local training providers. 54. http:// www.swccd.edu/~CareerPathways 55. Appreciating the Benefits of Programs of Study The Student Perspective Evan Mallory, Brawley, California (former student of Mr. Archer) Brawley Union High School GraduateImperial Valley Community College Student 56. The Student Perspective
- Impact of Programs of Study
- High School Plan
- Daily work in high school
- College and career goals and plans
San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65. 66. 67. 68. 69. 70. 71. Partners San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep
- Imperial Valley
- San Diego
- Grossmont Union
- Calipatria, Southwest,Central, Brawley
- San Dieguito Union, Oceanside Unified, Carlsbad Unified
- Fallbrook Union, Poway Unified
- San Diego Unified
- Coronado Unified, Sweetwater Union
- San Diego County and Imperial Valley Regional Occupational Programs
San Diego Workforce Partnership San Diego Economic Development Council Workforce Investment Board of Imperial County Imperial Valley Economic Development Corporation Tech Prep Consortia School Districts Programs Workforce Development 72. San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep
- Programs of Study
- Tips You Can Use
73. Collaborative Process:Tips You Can Use
- Program Development
- Establish personal relationships.
- Define Whats in it for me?
- Clarify differences from Tech Prep, 2+2.
- Specify that there is no tracking.
- Pilot with 1 or 2 schools.
San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 74. Tips You Can Use
- Provide written agreement or MOU defining each partners roles.
- Provide in-service for all stakeholders.
- Minimize meeting time by building on existing forums.
San Diego and Imperial County Tech Prep 75. Dos and Donts in Developing Programs of Study
- Do :Curriculum Development
- Use program of study template to analyze gaps in course offerings.
- Know that courses with the same title at different schools maynotprovide the same content.