cape town tourism
out of 15
Post on 08-Sep-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation by Mariette du toit Helmbold- CEO of Cape Town Tourism at the E-Tourism Africa Summit 2011 in Cape Town
- STAYING RELEVANT
- IN A CHANGING WORLD
- eTOURISM SUMMIT 2011
- THE STATE OF THE WORLD
- Our world has fundamentally changed.
- Growth is driven by emerging markets such as Asia and South America, while mature markets are seeing low growth.
- New middle class emerging
- China: 400-million
- Dont rush in alone without a plan
- Sustainability is no longer a nice-to-have...
- Increased costs
- Moral dilemma of long-haul travel
- Individual carbon budgets
- Web and Social Media
- Most important innovation in tourism marketing is ability to communicate instant, relevant and personalised info
- Trust, instant, relevant, personalised
- WISDOM OF CROWDS HAS BEEN REPLACED BY WISDOM OF FRIENDS...
- Internet now predominant channel for consumers to search for and buy travel
- 95% of connected generation search for info online
- 55% bought travel online in 2010 (45%+)
- 65% were influenced by online community
- In the USA, about 52% of 152 million adult leisure travellers (79m people) use social media in researching travel destinations and making travel decisions.
- The smart generation
- Smart phone and mobile application integration important for tourism
- It is there throughout the customer journey: instant content sharing
- 40% of international travellers already own a smart phone
- 40% + of smart phone owners use devices to get destination information
- 34% of business travellers and 26% of leisure travellers use them to make bookings
- How do we stand out from the crowd?
- The web and social media is the most effective platform for challenger brands like Cape Town to tell our story.
- Were seeing the web being rebuilt around peoplewhat used to be an information web where people sought to find the what has shifted to a social web where people are looking to find the who? - Rohit Dhawan, Facebook
- My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there - Charles Kettering
- FOLLOW US ON - Twitter: @CapeTownTourism Facebook: I Cape Town
View more >