out of 24
Post on 01-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Correction:
- In the presentation from the first class session there was a typo on the Grading slide.
- The correct proportion/amount of points for the Exams are:
- Exams #1 and #2 are 100 points each for a total of 200 points
- The Final Exam is worth 200 points.
- This is consistent to what is shown on the syllabus.
- Sorry if this caused any confusion.
- 2. The World of Retailing
- 3. Favorite Refact
- Retailer Fred Lazarus, Jr. successfully proposed to the United States Congress that Thanksgiving be set on the fourth Thursday of November to expand the Christmas shopping season.
- 4. What is Retailing?
- Retailing a set of business activities that adds value to the products and services sold to consumers for their personal or family use.
- A retailer is a business that sells products and/or services to consumers for personal or family use.
- 5. Retail Management Decision Process The World of Retailing
- Types of Retailers
- 9. Org. Structure and HR Mgmt.
- Info Sys. & Supply Chain Mgmt
- Customer Relationship Mgmt.
- Planning Merch. Assortments
- Buying Systems
- Buying Merchandise
- Retail Communications
- Retail Marketing
- Financial Strategy
- Retail Locations
- Site Location
- Managing the Store
- Store Layout, Design, & Visual Merchandise
- Customer Service
- 6. The Distribution Channel Consumer Retailer Wholesaler Manufacturer Point of Production Point of Sale (POS)
- 7. The Distribution Channel: VERTICAL INTEGRATION Backward Integration Forward Integration Consumer Retailer Wholesaler Manufacturer
- 8. How Retailers Add Value
- Provide Assortment
- Break Bulk
- Hold Inventory
- Offer Services
- 9. Social and Economic Significance of Retailing
- Economic support - over $3.4 trillion in annual U.S. sales (greater than medical care, housing, recreation combined)
- Community Support - retail employs 27 million people in the U.S.
- 10. Worlds Largest Retailers
- 11. Hardest hit were clothing and high-fashion chains. Shares of J.C. Penney Co., Sears Holdings Corp., Target Corp. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. all rose. Retailers Post Tepid Growth January 11, 2008 The results confirmed pre-holiday worries that falling home prices and high gasoline prices would crimp consumer spending. Retail Metrics Inc.'s index of December same-store sales rose a scant 0.4%, compared to a 3.2% gain the previous year. The weakness among clothing and jewelry was offset elsewhere by sales of food, health care and pharmaceuticals. Among major discount chains, Wal-Mart Stores said grocery, electronics and pharmacy businesses gained while home decor and apparel sales slipped.
- 12. Worlds Largest Retailers
- 13. Environmental Factors Macro- Environment Competitors Customers Micro- Environment Technology Social Issues Ethical/Legal Issues Political & Economic Issues Environmental Issues RETAILER
- 14. Environmental Factors Competitors Customers Micro- Environment RETAILER
- 15. Who is my competitor?
- 16. Really??
- 17. Who is my competition?
- 18. Definitely.
- 19. I thought they sold coffee...
- 20. Who is our customer? HINT: They buy a lot of music, watch a lot of movies, drink a lot of coffee and have a lot of disposable income...
- 21. Retail Strategy Decision Areas (Retail Mix) Customer Service Store Design & Display Location Communications Mix Merchandise Assortments Pricing Retail Strategy
- 22. Retail Mix: Macys Customer Service Retail Strategy Store Design & Display Location Merchandise Assortments Pricing Enclosed Malls Many apparel items and soft home Moderate with frequent sales Communications Mix TV, Newspaper and Special Events Racetrack with displays Modest
- 23. Retail Mix: Target Customer Service Retail Strategy Store Design & Display Location Merchandise Assortments Pricing Free-standing stores Many Categories Private Labels Few Items in each category Low to modest Communications Mix TV and Newspaper insert ads Colorful, wide aisles displays for products with a grid layout Limited
- 24. Environmental Factors: Story of Stuff (on blog) Macro- Environment Competitors Customers Micro- Environment Technology Social Issues Ethical/Legal Issues Political Issues Environmental Issues RETAILER
View more >