blogging for business #youtoo2011
Post on 01-Jul-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Amber Zent, APR
Blogging for Business 101
2. Not As Simple As It May Seem
3. Evolution of Blogs
4. From Upstart to Mainstream
5. THE BLOGOSPHERE IS HUGE
6. With Popularity, Comes Credibility
7. 8. And Even Celebrity
9. 10. To Blog or Not To Blog
11. For companies, blogs result in higher brandawareness, site traffic, lead generation and new and repeat sales than Facebook or Twitter.
12. Which of the following statements describe how your blog
has helped your business?
13. First Things First
Begin with your communication objectives.
What are you trying to accomplish?
Does it make sense or is it forced?
How can a blog contribute to overall business success?
14. I bet you think this blog is about you
15. but it should be about your audience.
16. Know Your Audience
Blog audience typical customer base
How do your customers get information?
What are your competitors doing in the space?
17. Know Your Organization
Honestly examine your business.
Is it about stroking egos?
Are you able to let go of corporate speak?
Can you handle criticism?
Is there time and money to devote to a blog?
Is your organization flexible/nimble?
Does life without layers of legal approval frighten you?
Are you willing to stick it out?
Are you willing to be transparent?
18. The 10 Commandments of Blogging
You must be married to it.
Cheap looks cheap.
People want to interact with people.
You can influence the conversation, but you cant control it.
Selling and blogging dont mix.
Blog traffic isnt just magically generated.
Dont ask too much of your readers.
If you cant take the heat
Competitors will read your blog. Get over it.
A blog is not a substitute for a communications plan.
19. Major Considerations
- Location 20. Resources 21. Content and design 22. Promotion 23. Measurement
25. 26. Resources
Do you have content?
Do you have the channels to promote it?
Do you have the time and budget?
28. Content and Design
29. What Makes Good Content?
30. Start with a Purpose
Whats your story?
31. Now, How Are You Going to Tell It?
32. Marry Content and Design
Weave in your brand
Think about your audience
33. 34. 35. 36. 37. Promotion
38. Where Should You Promote?
39. How Content and Promotion Work Together
Spike in Twitter volume leads to topical blog post
Posts linked/promoted via Twitter
41. Measuring Success
42. Not for You?
43. Blogger Outreach
46. 47. Questions?