blogging and storytelling
Post on 17-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPresentation for NTEN's WeAreMedia Webinar September 23, 2009.
- 1. Blogging and Storytelling Britt Bravo WeAreMedia Webinar: September 23, 2009
2. Big Vision Consulting Realize your big vision Be a powerful force for good
- Strategic Consulting
- Social Web Empowerment
- Career Coaching
3. Blogging & Storytelling
- 11 ways nonprofits can use blogs to tell their story
- What should we write about?
- How do we find readers?
- How do we track impact?
- Most important tip . . .
4. 11 Ways Nonprofits Can Use Blogs to Tell Their Story 5. 1. Share Your Expertise 6. 2. Share breaking news in your field 7. 3. Share the story behind your brand 8. 4. Share your readers'opinions & content 9. 5. Share notes, photos& presentations from events 10. 6. Share notes & photos from the field 11. 7. Interview Experts 12. 8. Share Organizational News as It Happens 13. 9. Share Your Press 14. 10. Ask for Feedback 15. 11. Call Your Readers to Action 16. What should we write about? 17. Questions to ask whenchoosing topics
- What goal are we trying to achieve?
- What audience are we trying to reach?
- Who else is writing about these topics?
- What is our niche?
- What tone will we use?
- Who will write the posts?
- How much time do we have to blog?
- What are we excited to write about?
18. How do we find readers? 19. Find Blogs
- Google Blog Search
- Twitter Search
20. Read & Comment
- Read Blogs
- Google Reader
- Buy an egg timer
21. Make it Easy toShare & Subscribe
- Place a subscribe prompt in the top right corner
- Allow subscription via rss and email using Feedburner
- Put the blogs URL in your email signature
- Place AddThis or ShareThis buttons on each post
- Share posts on Twitter with bit.ly
- Add to your Facebook feed with the Notes application
- Add to your Facebook feed with the Twitter application
22. Participate & Engage
- Link to other bloggers in your posts
- Have a blogroll
- Ask questions
- Ask for feedback
- Ask for content (i.e. ideas, photos, video)
- Be opinionated
- Make it easy to comment
- Hold contests and giveaways
- Participate in memes and blog carnivals
23. Write Useful Content
- How to
- Lists (10 Ways to . . .)
- Roundups of blogs posts about your topic
- Title posts with words people are searching for
- Write short posts (200-300 words)
- Include images with every post
- Use white space, bolding and bulleted lists
- Mix personal and professional tone
24. How do we track impact? 25. Impact Metrics
- ____Page views
- ____Links and referrals
- ____Content contributed by the community (i.e. videos)
- ____New donors, or members
26. Tools to Measure Impact
- Google Analytics
- Site Meter
- Twitter Search
- http://www. whostalkin .com/
- Social Mention
- http: //technorati .com/
27. Most important tip . . . 28. Have Fun!Its not calledsocialmedia for nothin 29. Questions?
- Britt Bravo
- (510) 757-9684
- Twitter: @bbravo
- Skype: bebravo