Biotechnology & Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) Food Technology.
out of 14
Post on 25-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Biotechnology & Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) Food Technology
- Slide 2
- How is Biotechnology being used in Agriculture? Provides farmers with tools to make production cheaper and manageable Crop production options can help countries keep pace with demands for food while reducing cost of production
- Slide 3
- How is Biotechnology being used in Agriculture? Other types of crops are in research and development stages Advances may provide foods with: Nutritionally-Enriched Foods Longer Lasting Foods Contain lower levels of naturally occurring toxicants
- Slide 4
- What are the benefits of Agricultural Biotechnology? Has helped make both insect pest control and weed management safer and easier while safeguarding against disease Herbicide-tolerant crops are compatible with no-till or reduced tillage agriculture systems that help reduce erosion
- Slide 5
- What are the roles of Government in Agriculture Biotechnology? Regulatory Market Facilitation Research
- Slide 6
- What are Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOS) ? GMOs are an organism whose genetic material has been altered using techniques in genetics Term generally does not cover organisms whose genetic makeup has been altered by conventional cross-breeding
- Slide 7
- GMOs Today In 2010 about 331 million acres grown world wide Biotechnology plantings as a percentage of total crop plantings in the United States were about 86 percent for corn, 93 percent for cotton, and 93 percent for soybeans.
- Slide 8
- GMOs Benefits and Controversies Benefits Crops Enhanced Taste and quality Reduced maturation time Increased nutrients, yields, and stress tolerance Improved resistance to disease, pests and herbicides New products and growing techniques
- Slide 9
- GMOs Benefits and Controversies Benefits Animals Increased resistance, productivity, hardiness, and feed efficiency Better yields of meat, eggs, and milk Improved animal health and diagnostic methods
- Slide 10
- GMOs Benefits and Controversies Benefits Environment Friendly bioherbicides and bioinsecticides Conservation of soil, water, and energy Better natural waste management More efficient processing
- Slide 11
- GMOs Benefits and Controversies Benefits Society Increased food security for growing populations
- Slide 12
- GMOs Benefits and Controversies Controversies Safety Potential human impact Access and Intellectual Property Domination of world food production by a few companies Increasing dependence on Industralized nations by developing countries
- Slide 13
- GMOs Benefits and Controversies Controversies Ethics Violation of natural organisms intrinsic values Tampering with nature by mixing genes among species Objections to consuming animal genes in plants and vice versa Stress for animals
- Slide 14
- GMOs Benefits and Controversies Controversies Labeling Not mandatory in some countries (e.g. United States) Mixing GM crops with non-GM confounds labeling attempts Society New advances may be skewed to interests of rich countries
View more >
The Regulation of Genetically Modified Organisms Regulation of Genetically Modified Organisms in Food Production in Canada and the European Union 1. Modern Biotechnology Traditional biotechnology, such as the selective breeding of plants, has been used in the food
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) FAQ What are genetically…
Genetically Modified Food Crops - The Biotechnology ?· The Biotechnology Institute ... These crops are engineered to withstand ®. ®! Your World . Genetically Modified Food Crops! Genetically Modified Food Crops.
Genetically Modified Foods. What are GMOs? What does GMO stands for? – Genetically Modified Organisms GMO Definition: – Genetically modified plants and.
Recombinant DNA & Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) Bio-engineered (GM) Food Brochure CAPT Embedded Task.
Genetically Modified Organisms in Food - University of ?· Genetically Modified Organisms in Food Food…
Genetically Modified Organisms. OutlineWhat are Genetically Modified Organisms?Why are GMOs produced?How are GMOs produced?Examples of GMOsOther Examples.
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) Part I ?· The Debate on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)…
Genetically Modified Organisms Define the problem: What are Genetically Modified Organisms? What effect do GMOs have on human beings? What effect do GMOs.