beyond imagining “i never imagined it would be so ... · pdf fileapplication for...

Click here to load reader

Post on 27-Aug-2018




0 download

Embed Size (px)


  • Application for

    Domestic andInternational

    Graduate School Admission

    Admission Application Deadlines:

    Fall Semester ....................................................... April 1

    Spring Semester ...................................... November 1

    Summer Session ......................................... March 15

    The University of Utah Office of Admissions Graduate Admissions Division/ International Admissions DivisionPhones/Fax: Domestic Admissions Phone: (801) 581-7283 International Admissions Phone: (801) 581-3091 Fax: (801) 585-7864

    Web Address:

    Email Contacts: Domestic: International:

    Physical Address: 250 Student Services Building

    Mailing Address: 201 South 1460 East, Room 250S Salt Lake City, Utah USA 84112-9057

    Why Utah?

    Beyond Imagining I never imagined it would be so beautiful is a comment frequently heard in The Graduate School. My professors treated me like a colleague is another. The fact is, Utah offers graduate students far more than they expecta program of the highest caliber, in a place of spectacular beauty. Even with an introduction, Utah may surprise you, for, in the end, graduate study is beyond imagining. Its discovering what happens next.



    If you are interested in applying to the S.J. Quinney College of Law, please do not use this application. You may email for instructions on how to apply for Law School.

    HOW TO APPLY FOR GRADUATE ADMISSIONSThe following information will assist you in applying for admission to graduate studies. Most applicants will use the online ApplyYourself application system, accessible from your academic programs website. The ApplyYourself application system is ADA compliant.

    This PDF version of our graduate admissions application is made available for use by the following applicants: An applicant, without access to the online ApplyYourself admissions

    application. An applicant that is a graduate student at the University of Utah, who did not

    maintain continuous registration and did not file a formal Leave of Absence form and now wishes to be reinstated to the same graduate program.

    If you do not fall into one of the above categories, please go to You will find a link to all graduate programs offered at the University of Utah by going to Prospective Students>Admission Requirements>Graduate Admissions. Click on your program of interest and hit GO to locate the graduate program you wish to study. You will find the link for the ApplyYourself online application at the website of each graduate program. You will also find instructions on how to apply. Because each graduate program has its own admissions procedures and deadlines, you are strongly encouraged to review the academic programs web site or contact the department directly to determine its admissions procedures.

    UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS APPLICATION DEADLINES Fall Semester . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 1 Spring Semester . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1 Summer Semester. . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 15Applications received in the University Office of Admissions after the above deadlines will be charged a $30.00 late fee.


    University Office of Admissions deadlines. Contact your department to determine their deadline. This application is due in the University Office of Admissions a minimum of thirty (30) days before the academic departmental deadline for U.S. citizens and sixty (60) days before the academic departmental deadline for non-U.S. citizens.

    2) Complete the application and pay the nonrefundable application fee.

    Domestic applicants pay $55.00 International applicants on a visa or in need of a visa pay $65 A late handling fee of $30.00 is charged on applications received after the

    University Office of Admissions deadlines. Note: Paying the late handling fee does not guarantee review of your application by the academic department.

    If you are a McNair Scholar or a Vietnamese Educational Foundation participant, please provide certification of your participation to cover the cost of your application fee.

    Your application will not be processed without the correct fee. Make your check or money order payable to the University of Utah or fill in credit card information on this application or attach your McNair or VEF certification form.. PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH.

    ALL FEES ARE NONREFUNDABLE FEE WAIVER REQUESTS ARE NOT GRANTED. 3) Send the application and fee, certification form, or credit card

    payment form to: University of Utah Office of Admissions, Graduate Admissions Division, 201 S 1460 E Rm. 250 S, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-9057.

    4) Have one official copy of your academic transcript(s) from each college you have taken courses from (except the U of U) mailed directly to the University of Utah Office of Admissions, Graduate Admissions Division, 201 S 1460 E Rm. 250 S, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-9057.

    5) If you are a readmitting applicant, you must have one official copy of your transcript(s) mailed from only the colleges you attended since you last attended the University of Utah.

    6) Failure to list ALL institutions previously attended or degrees pursued or making false or misleading statements on the application may result in denial of admissions, loss of credit and dismissal from the University of Utah.

    7) If you were previously enrolled in a graduate program that you did not complete, you must provide a written statement explaining the reasons for non-completion. This should be submitted with your application to the University Office of Admissions.

    8) If you are a Permanent Resident/Immigrant, you must submit a copy of your resident alien card with your admissions application.

    9) NONCITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES must provide proof of English proficiency.

    The University of Utah will accept the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for applicants whose first language is not English.

    No application will be considered without these test results. The official TOEFL score must be sent directly to the University of Utah Office

    of Admissions by Educational Testing Service and must not be over two years old at time of admission.

    The official IELTS score can be requested from the test center where the test was administered.

    Applicants should check with their major department to determine English proficiency requirements.

    Applicants with an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. may not be required to take an English proficiency examination.

    Students who have not lived in the U.S. for two or more years will be required to successfully complete the TOEFL or IELTS exam before being admitted or readmitted to the University of Utah. Previous examination scores will not be used to meet this requirement.

    The University of Utah reserves the right to require English proficiency when deemed necessary.

    10) NON-CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES may be required to provide the following:




    Financial Statement - In order to issue the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility students must:

    Submit proof of financial responsibility. (For amounts needed, see Costs and Fees listed at our web site at

    Financial statements become the property of the University of Utah and cannot be returned to the student.

    Financial statements are valid for only six months. If a student needs a new I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for any reason, and the financial statement on file is over six (6) months old, a new financial statement will be required.

    If an applicant is awarded financial assistance through the academic department and the financial assistance is sufficient to issue the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, no further financial information is required.

    Sponsors Statement - Students who are being sponsored by their family, other individuals or agencies must have their sponsor submit a statement that they (the sponsor) will assume financial responsibility for the students first year expenses, including tuition and living expenses.

    In addition, the sponsor must submit a bank statement or other proof that sufficient funds are available for the students first year of study.

    The International Admissions Division can supply an official Affidavit of Support for the sponsor to complete. Otherwise, the sponsors statement must be notarized or submitted on an official document or letterhead.

    If a student is being sponsored by their Embassy, Government, or Educational Agency, a letter of sponsorship is all that is required.

    11) No action will be taken until your application, transcripts, and appropriate fees or certification form have been received by the University Office of Admissions. In addition, the academic department will take no action until all university and departmental admissions requirements have been met.