Augmented reality will make money obsolete
out of 12
Post on 29-Nov-2014
DESCRIPTIONI could have taken a weaker case - Will Augmented Reality make money obsolete? But instead I figure I'll take the strong position.If you want to jump to conclusions - I see these points:1) Let us hold a richer view. It's clear that Augmented Reality is going to show us things that we haven't seen. It is hopefully going to let us hold a richer and more nuanced version of the world; one not quite as simple as we've embraced historically. Money has tended to reduce all things to a single number, and perhaps we can hold something richer than that.2) Show alternative payment ecosystems. There are many ways for us to transact with people around us. There are many alternative currencies, many payment systems. These are all just waiting to emerge; they are suppressed in a sense - bubbling and waiting. Augmented Reality may make these visible.3) Show what is valuable. There are also many things that are valuable that we don't see as valuable - up until now. A separate role of AR is that it may show value and values better.4) Show other people us. We are also interested in transacting in different ways; but other people cannot see that. We too may accept things other than dollars but it is hard to signal to other people that this is the case.These things constitute an attack on money. Seeing options, seeing value - these challenge what money is. It has always been the case that having to actually spend money on something is the last recourse. Usually one has equity in some way; actually having to spend dollars means you have no other equity. AR will show us the hidden resources around us, and will let other people see us better and what we want as well.Why does it matter? Does it matter just to artists? Or philosophers? Or business-people? Yes. It will change the world, and we should change our expectations on what we want out of it. It means totally different approaches to making money for example. Don't try to make money - try to make money systems. Make your own currencies, make your own brokerages, make your own systems of exchange. Get your rewards in that way.
- 1. Augmented Reality willmake money obsoleteNowadays people know the price ofeverything and the value of nothing - Oscar Wilde @anselm
- 2. Well I can tell you what wonthappen
- 3. Technology as mediator
- 4. Money.A single number scoring everything.A "cultural encoding of value" - Heather Vescent.A system under attack...
- 5. Problems with money"A mountain of value hiding behind a molehill ofdollars" - Arthur BrockOld pre-digital technology; no history,anonymous, allows large concentrations, canbe used to hurt us.Money is not smart - has many limits - anddoes not reflect our will.
- 6. Future of Money ConferenceAt least 50 new kinds of digital currency; notjust bitcoin, slow money, timebank or the usualsuspects but new kinds of services andbrokerages.Each with different rules, limits, culturalencodings. Anonymity, accountability, history.All bubbling beneath the surface looking forsome way to be visible.
- 7. PARC teleporting expertise projectand problem swarming.
- 8. http://lemonopoly.org - furtheringthe lemonconomy! - Chacha Sikes
- 9. Daylighting Streams
- 10. Numismatics of money versus ARBrokering? How good is it at introductions?Signaling? How loudly can it reach you?Valuations? What does it value or care about?Deep Value? Does it protect our planet?Accuracy? Does it map to the real world well?Scarcity? Is it easy to transact with this?Real time? Does it reflect the present moment?Place specific? Is it removable from the place?Trust? Do you trust it?
- 11. To know your place. To have yourplace know you. A way to see thepayment ecosystems andcircumvent the use of only dollars.
- 12. Thanks!@anselm - firstname.lastname@example.orgWednesday May 9 2012Augmented Reality Conference Santa Clara
View more >
Augmented Reality: MAKE YOUR PACKAGING COME ?· Augmented Reality: MAKE YOUR PACKAGING COME ALIVE TECHNOLOGY…
Chris Kluwe: How augmented reality will change sports Kluwe: How augmented reality will change ... Would Google Glass make your life better? • Can you think of any other augmented reality technologies?
Will Dataspaces Make Data Integration Obsolete? Dataspaces Make Data Integration Obsolete? ... XML enhanced DBMS technologies will make data integration easier ... Will Dataspaces Make Data Integration
Introducing Augmented Reality for Education ?· Introducing Augmented Reality ... for Augmented Reality…
INTERNATIONAL SUMMIT AUGMENTED SUMMIT ... Germany AUGMENTED REALITY ... Challenge in the automotive marketing/sales sector How will augmented/virtual reality