attitudes & attributes
out of 22
Post on 18-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Unit 1:Communication & Employability Skills.
- 2. Specific Attributes.Independence: Some employers are looking for independence because you would to bevery good at getting a piece of work and being independent and getting it done on yourown. They really like when you are one step ahead of them e.g. when your boss comes inand say now do this and you have it already done. If it is your first day at the job they wouldnot mind if you ask questions if you are finding it hard just ask and maybe could come andhelp you. Also instead of using common sense words they would use harder and longerwords, if you are finding it hard to understand just ask.Dependability: Some employers will look for dependability because very often employerswho will hope that you can make deadlines on time, come into work on time also he wouldlike you to who are happy on the job.Self-Motivation: Some people are said to be self starters which means that they what workthey are doing and the employers really like this but there is times when you think you knowthe task in hand but really you did not know what to do and the employers do not like thiswhen it happens.Technical Knowledge: This is a necessary skill valued by employers as it shows that youcan use up-to-date technology, most jobs nowadays involve using computer-based work.Work Attitude: A good work ethic is essential when in the work place, having a good workattitude can show employers that you are a dedicated employee who can work at anefficient pace within the work place.
- 3. General Attributes.High Standards: Employers seek productive workers with positive to work who stickwith challenges until they meet the highest of standards.Planning And Organizing: Workplace life requires prioritizing and organizinginformation.Verbal Communication: Clarity of speech, remaining calm and focused, being polite andetiquette will all aid the process of verbal communication. This article is designed tohelp us think about how we and others communicate verbally, the processes involvedand the steps we can take to ensure that verbal or spoken messages are received asintended.Organizational Skills: Organization skills are key; it is one of the most crucial skillswithin a business workplace the ability to keep a tidy work place and meet deadlines isextremely valued by an employerTeam Working: Team work is a basic attribute employers look for, the ability to exitones comfort zone and meet unfamiliar people is challenging, employers look for teamplayer because it can increase efficiency and productivity.
- 4. Personal Attitudes.Personal Attributes that employers want are:Adaptability and Flexibility: Openness to new ideas and concepts. They also likeemployees who can work independently or as part of a team, changing attitude to workwhen required, whether multitasking or adapting working hours.Positive Attitude And Energy: The last to be picked and promoted are candidates whoshow no effort to work. Sad and looks emotional or even to the extent of childishbehavior. The best employees are those who are happy, confident and energetic andorganized behavior.Leadership: This is mainly needed for supervisors and managers the ability to takeaction and command people requires a strong personality, a leadership roll requiressomeone to give clear instructions to work force to explain a task with clarity to avoidconfusion, a leader can also motivate and encourage other within the work place to dothere work.Dependable: An employer needs to be dependable in there work force, someone whois dependable can always be relied upon to produce results, theyre the kind of personthat can be depended upon to encourage.
- 5. Principles Of Effective Communication.When dealing with changes in working practices, procedures or employment issueswhich affect employees, employers should be prepared to consult them. It is also important to consult staff associations, in-house unions or other consultativecommittees if such exist.To be effective, employer-employee communication must meet the followingrequirements:Support from top management and employees. Information to be communicated should be objective, clear and concise. Regular and systematical.Two-way flow as to allow a free exchange of ideas.
- 6. General Communication.Cultural Differences: Understanding cultural differences within the work place canimprove communication, its is important to know what incentives to provide for thosewho are culturally different e.g. You cold not reward an individual of the Muslim faithwith a free bottle of wine for good work as it goes against there faith/culture.Engaging Audience: Engaging an audience requires an individual to have a clear voicethat can be projected to a large audience if giving a presentation, an individual cannotpresent with a nervous attitude otherwise it reflects poorly on the presentation.
- 7. Interpersonal Skills.Positive Language: Having a positive language can have good detrimental effectsin communication, by being positive both internally and externally colleagues willnot feeling intimidated to ask you or give you clear and consistent information.Paraphrasing: Paraphrasing is a good way to filter down large chunks ofinformation, when presenting a presentation it can become dull to explainextensive amounts of information whereas if it was paraphrased it can be given ata more efficient pace.Interpersonal Skills: Interpersonal skills include not only how we communicatewith others, but also our confidence and our ability to listen and understand.Problem solving, decision making and personal stress management are alsoconsidered interpersonal skills. People with strong interpersonal skills are usuallymore successful in both their professional and personal lives. They are perceivedas more calm, confident and charismatic - qualities that are often endearing orappealing to others. Being more aware of your interpersonal skills can help youimprove and develop them. Skills You Need provides an extensive library of articlesto help you learn about and improve your interpersonal skills.
- 8. Communication In Writing.Informal Writing: Having an informal way of writing can be hard to understandwhen handing in work, using incorrect grammar, punctuation and spelling can meit hard for somebody to read as a result cases a break down in communication.Formal Writing: Having an appropriate style of writing can build effectivecommunication, using correct grammar; punctuation and spelling can getinformation across with clarity therefore makes communication more effective.
- 9. Communication BarriersThe barriers which prevent effective communication can be a result ofgeneral communication, interpersonal and communication in writing.Understanding cultural difference can help prevent a break down incommunication it is important to recognise other religions and cultures asto keep cultural misunderstanding happen which has a result can causeineffective communication.Interpersonal skills such as a negative attitude can have a barrier in bothcommunication and productivity; negative attitudes can lead to a lack ofenthusiasm the resulting product can have task not being completed. Informal writing is also a factor with regards to ineffectivecommunication, as it would take sometime to decipher incorrect Englishtherefore stalling productivity or possibly doing some thing wrong showingthat incorrect grammar can be ineffective communication.
- 10. Blogs.Online diary in which bloggers (people that create onlinediaries) post about topics that they enjoy, or things thatare irritating them in there daily life such as homework,traffic or ignorant people.
- 11. Wikipedia.Wikipedia or wiki is a server that allows users to freely create andedit web pages content using any web browser; such websitesinclude Wikipedia, which is a resource server that provides editingcapabilities to change information.
- 12. Vlogs.Volgs are very similar to blogs however vlogs posts arecreated by creating a video of yourself or an event, oruploading it to the internet and publishing it within a poston your blog.
- 13. Podcast.A multimedia digital file made for downloading to a portablemedia player from a
View more >