out of 20
Post on 06-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Air Pressure Air Occupies Space Air Exerts Pressure
- 2. Experiment #1 Air Occupies Space
- 3. Fill a beaker/bowl three quarters full with water.
- 4. Place a piece of paper halfway down a test tube/glass.
- 5. Push the glass, mouth first, into the water and
- 6. Lift it out again.
- 7. Remove the paper. Is it wet?
- 8. Why? Paper is not wet because air in the glass istaking up the space. Try pushing down on the handle of a bicyclepump while closing the nozzle of the pump with your thumb. Notice what happens .. Discuss your experience with yourclassmates.
- 9. Experiment # 2 The Collapsing Can
- 10. Add a small amount of water in empty cans and let it boil until all of it evaporates.
- 11. Remove the cans from the Bunsen burner/stove and immerse the cans in a bowl of cold water or place them under cold flowing water from the tap. Notice what happens
- 12. Both cans collapsed wow
- 13. What happened? When the water boils in the cans, it changesinto steam. Steam drives all the air inside, out of thecans. As the can immerses into the cold waterwater, the steam immediately condenses into water. As the air is removed from inside the can,the weight of the air/atmospheric pressure crushes the container.
- 14. Experiment # 3 Hard Boiled Egg
- 15. Hard boiled egg doesnt go through the narrow mouth of a conical flask/ bottle.
- 16. Light a candle inside the bottle and
- 17. Put the hard boiled egg on its mouth. Immediately.
- 18. Egg goes inside the bottle
- 19. What happened? When the candle burns, oxygen is used up. This reduces the amount of air in the bottle,which decreases the air pressure inside the flask. The higher pressure outside the flask thenpushes the egg in.
- 20. Produced by Khaula Shehzad Audio by Shorthopper
View more >